SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Learn something every day (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/371915-learn-something-every-day.html)

Girlie928 07-19-2015 08:42 PM

Learn something every day

I just spent 3 days out of town surrounded by alcohol and alcoholics drinking alcohol. In the past, I would have been one of those alcoholics. I can't say it was easy not drinking, but I can say I learned a few things. I haven't been sober very long but, I am grateful for the time I have been sober. It seems the alcoholics I used to drink with aren't grateful about anything. As a matter of fact, they are a pretty negative, whiney group of people. I didn't drink with them because in my short time sober I have gained a few gifts. I have been gifted some optimism. I am free in new ways. I have less to worry about. I have met many sober and happy people. I don't want to lose the gifts of sobriety. For the first time, I wanted to stay sober more than I wanted a drink. God bless us all.

courage2 07-19-2015 08:48 PM

Lovely post, Girlie928. Congratulations on your insight into the gift of sobriety.

MythOfSisyphus 07-20-2015 12:54 AM

Yup. Sometimes you just need to get a little distance before you can see things clearly. It's freedom when you cut the cord with booze.

Ghostlight1 07-20-2015 04:29 AM

Nice going and done.
I remember my first big party after having some sober time. Tons of free food, four open bars.
Normally, I would have switched between bars so the bartenders didn't think wasn't an alcoholic.
Instead I dove into the food and had a great time.
It didn't occur to me, until the next day, that I never even thought of having a drink.
It was a revelation. so, good for you. The miracle does happen.

JoeinHouston 07-20-2015 04:52 AM

Great post, thanks! I am also recently sober and have re-discovered many of the same things: given the same environment (we all have issues and problems), being sober is a happy state of affairs compared with the alternative. For the first time in months I feel optimistic, energetic and in control of my destiny. I want this feeling to continue and if 'all' I have to do is not to drink, then the rewards are much greater than the 'sacrifice'. You get all the positives and none of the anxiety, depression, health issues, hangovers and social opprobium.

NestWasEmpty 07-20-2015 04:56 AM

Oh Girlie , You sound like a strong person . I still can't after 2 years . Not that I haven't tried , anxiety sets in I end up leaving . I'll get there one of these days .:D

2ndhandrose 07-20-2015 05:59 AM

Girlie928, what an uplifting and encouraging post!

It is so wonderful to see things clearly once the alcohol veil is lifted!

:grouphug:

PurpleKnight 07-20-2015 06:06 AM

Fantastic Girlie!! :scoregood

CaseyW 07-20-2015 06:43 AM

Congrats on your sober weekend, Girlie. While I have not been around any of my friends in a social drinking situation in the last 74 days, I am around alcohol every single day as I work in a restaurant/bar. Seeing people's personalities change, usually for the worse, as that second or third drink hits them has definitely been an eye-opener for me this time. I'm grateful I don't have to live like that anymore.

Me63 07-20-2015 07:39 AM

Amen! Love the post thanks girlie!