Notices

Hi folks

Old 07-24-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Shabby,

A allow me to add my belated welcome. Hope all is going well.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Hang on!

Hiya Tooshabby. Good to see ya here. I'm similar age, similar situation, similar history. Day 45 for me. Binge was always the end result of the cycle for me. I've had enough, finally.

This is a good place to go for inspiration, ideas, commiseration, hope, or just a place to rant. There are people here who understand and have been where you have. They help me a lot.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks so much Frank :-)

Not too bad, though very early days. For my last trick I jumped up and down in the recycling bin while drunk to make room for more empties. Fell, naturally. Face-planted into a brick wall, knocked one of my front teeth out, grazes, and stitches in my mouth. Haven't been able to eat much over the past week, or go to work. I am one classy chic. At least the episode prompted me to find SR which I am hoping is going to put an end to this absurd cycle. After keeping such good company for the past week, I now consider myself very fortunate, temporary disfigurement and all.

Thanks again for the belated welcome :-)
Old 07-24-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks 2 wheels. That is really good to hear. I laughed at your line about your AV donning a cloaking device :-)
Old 07-24-2015, 08:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
Thanks so much Frank :-)

Not too bad, though very early days. For my last trick I jumped up and down in the recycling bin while drunk to make room for more empties. Fell, naturally. Face-planted into a brick wall, knocked one of my front teeth out, grazes, and stitches in my mouth. Haven't been able to eat much over the past week, or go to work. I am one classy chic. At least the episode prompted me to find SR which I am hoping is going to put an end to this absurd cycle. After keeping such good company for the past week, I now consider myself very fortunate, temporary disfigurement and all.

Thanks again for the belated welcome :-)
How strange. I once had a fantasy about a chic with no front teeth jumping up and down on a recycling bin. I think it was triggered not so much by demon rum as it was the bag of grass, the five pellets of mescaline, a sheet of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker full of coke, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, and laughers. Oh, and the half-pint of ether and a handful of amyls.

Can't remember exactly.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Guffaw guffaw

You mean it wasn't the toothless chic jumping in the recycling bin that did it? I'm not sure if I should cancel my dentist appointment or not.....?
Old 07-24-2015, 09:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi tooshabby, pleased you're not too battered from your fall! I've had lots of similar ones over the years, cringe now thinking of them.

Anyways, I've only just seen your post, so welcome, hope you enjoy it here as much as I do. It's been a lifesaver for me, without being too much of a drama queen!

Hope you stick around.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks a bunch :-)

I'm enjoying it so much I think Mr Tooshabby might end up preferring I resume drinking. Seriously though, if you can relate and SR has been a lifesaver, that is really, really encouraging. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:45 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you Shabby!!! :-)
Old 07-24-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks! Nice to meet you too :-D
Old 07-25-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Shabby,

Hope you are well today. A question, If I may: Does Mr. Shabby drink?
Old 07-25-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Okay, interesting question. Not really. I mean he might have a glass of wine now and then, and if he goes really crazy and lets his hair down, two. It's not a problem for him at all. If he threatened to leave me because of it I would stop in an instant, which I think may just prove I'm a very selfish when it comes down to it. He's just not that sort of person. Incredibly kind, and I'm not complaining.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Okay, interesting question. Not really. I mean he might have a glass of wine now and then, and if he goes really crazy and lets his hair down, two. It's not a problem for him at all. If he threatened to leave me because of it I would stop in an instant, which I think may just prove I'm a very selfish when it comes down to it. He's just not that sort of person. Incredibly kind, and I'm not complaining.
And I assume he's aware of and supportive of your quest for sobriety? (apologies if my questions are too personal).
Old 07-25-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

No, that's fine. I don't mind at all. Very aware, but I don't think he knows how to be supportive really. It's just not in him to say anything at all when I fall off the wagon, no matter how many times I've asked him to keep the issue alive and help me. He's very supportive in the sense that he's happy for me (and himself) when I'm not drinking, but can't kind of 'put anything into the equation' if that makes any sense. That's fine, needless to say I'm aware it's my problem and not his responsibility. I don't like the term enabler, it sounds mean-spirited to me. Co-dependent is probably a more apt term. I think the bottom line is he just doesn't want to hurt me when I'm so often filled with self-loathing already. Of course, this only makes things worse, and so on, and so on.....

I have the kind of support that was missing here now. I'm hoping that's going to make the difference.

Thanks for asking :-)
Old 07-26-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

If I may ask, how much did you drink? I'm trying to understand your husband's patience.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Another good question. I've never been able to understand it either. He looks human, but I'm not sure he is. It's varied a bit over the years. The most I've managed to put away is about two bottles of wine, but I'm not a big person. On average I would say 3 nights a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. Often, it's been a few drinks at home and then "Hey! Let's go out and partay!!!" He agrees and we go. Maybe he just likes me dressing up. I dunno, it's an odd situation. Well it was. I'm going to stop because a sad old cougar on the dance floor isn't pretty :-)
Old 07-29-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm going to stop because a sad old cougar on the dance floor isn't pretty :-)
This must be the image that is causing my insomnia.

So anyhoo, how goes your travels on your road to sobriety? Temptation? Everything going well?
Old 07-29-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Ha ha...the last time we went down the road for a boogie the DJ said to me while he was taking a break "Are you having a good night, love?" I should have known right then to quit for good.

So far so good. A little bit of temptation now and then but I think it's more just habitual thinking at this stage. I feel very wary though. I've got a couple of challenging weekends coming up. We're going to visit my brother who has also inherited the family talent for drinking. I think I'm just going to tell him straight up that I don't drink anymore. I know he will understand. He's cut right back himself because his wife has had her bags packed on a couple of occasions. So yeah, okay so far, but I'm going to stick close to SR. It's actually quite frightening.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

You'll make it. Post all the time.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thank you ckoures :-)