Notices

Why Do Some People Get 100 Replies and Some 7

Old 07-20-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by River65 View Post
It just bugs me. A frequent poster has admitted she/he is not aiming for sobriety (why even on this board after 2000 posts in Newcomers I don't know- after 2000 posts I don't think they are a newcomer) but gets reply after reply and a newcomer asking for help gets like 7 replies? I lurk here and there but it bugs me.
Hi again River,

In case you may have gotten the wrong impression, I freely admit that I am not a magnanimous human being. IRL you may very well meet me and conclude, "she's a b-word". I bleed blood, have days where I swear like a longshoreman or really just feel clueless. In fact, a few months ago I was fired by my hair stylist. Who get's fired by a hairstylist? Me.

I try though. I try to know myself and be a better human being. In my life experience, it takes zero effort to see and point out all that is wrong with the world. It takes enormous energy to see what is wrong and work for change. Energy well spent in my experience. In the end, unless I am working for change then any bitching and moaning I put forth is just making life more difficult than I would like it to be.

"There is no such thing as an altruistic act". I ascribe to this. Although I am not sure that anything I post has an impact, I am certain that I do not live in a vacuum and *hopefully* I do make a difference as I live and breathe. I affect people. People affect me. I just do not wish to affect people negatively and there is that fine line, you know? Sometimes I need to step back.

The other thought that came to mind regarding your OP is the whole "moth to a flame". If I survive the flame unscathed or with just a tinged wing I will probably go back to the flame until I either learn or have very little wing left.

Show yourself, River! I dare you to be more participant and less voyeur.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Sometimes I post just to get stuff off my chest. It's nice to just know someone in the world read what I posted. Of course, helpful responses are always appreciated; to know someone took the time to respond, but it isn't always necessary. John
Old 07-22-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
One thing that inspires me to reply to a post is if I see that the OP is on line. So I am making an exception in this case...
What's OP?
Old 07-22-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
What's OP?
"Original Poster"
Old 07-22-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Another question, I've been a never for a year but. Not consistently sober. Today is say 3, for good I hope! So should I still be posting in newcomers?
Old 07-22-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I agree with the others who said you should post more.
hope to hear from you River!
Old 07-22-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hi River... sometimes you just don't know what or how to reply to something.. and then other times you get pulled into the conversation... why do some people have better response to chatter then others.. That is a Question for the Karma of the Blue Marble... my Pop would say... I am just not sure... maybe some that read.. the thread.. get the help they need.. maybe some chatter with the thread to empty they hearts minds or souls.. just keep chatting kiddo.. for that is why this and all these great people are here.... hugs ardy
Old 07-22-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Simple...some people on here are only attention seekers & some are actually on here seeking help. Funny how this useless thread is still popping up to the top bumping new comers who are actually seeking help. I guess i didn't help by responding to this post but posts like this are what keeps me away from online forums. I guess there are no safe drama free spaces online. Take it as you please River..maybe if you interacted with others more then you would actually receive more positve feedback regarding the issue on hand..alcoholism, not why some people get more post! "Smh" btw, Dee, if i had your job i'd been fired a long time ago as you have great patience for some of the posts i've read recently! Keep up the great work.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
Another question, I've been a never for a year but. Not consistently sober. Today is say 3, for good I hope! So should I still be posting in newcomers?
I would say post wherever you feel comfortable. I'm no newcomer by any means, but sometimes I put threads in Newcomers either because the topic is not that strictly defined or because I would like to get a wider variety of views and responses. Which does not always work, but I don't mind at all, just happy for whatever comments and views people care to share.

On the original topic, I also very much share Biminiblue's view regarding the purpose of my being here is to improve my life in a variety of ways, and while I am usually willing to explore something or someone that interests me pretty far and deep, am not going to let anything or anyone drag me down long or repeatedly. I'm very much like this also IRL. I do like and appreciate constructive criticism a lot, and when people point out things I may not see well -- again, take what's useful and leave the rest. I think all this is reflected in my SR history: I've developed multiple connections and often intense and very meaningful interactions here, but when they have run their course, they have run their course and it's especially time to move on when no one seems to benefit further. There are so many ways one can get involved on SR, it's absolutely not necessary to get bogged down in anything that affects us negatively.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by ardy View Post
That is a Question for the Karma of the Blue Marble... my Pop would say...
Old 07-22-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

well it took a few days but you got 50. Half way there!
Old 07-22-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

River- I wholeheartedly agree with you which is why I've leave this forum for months at a time. It very disheartening not to have anyone give your post, your question, or your reply any attention and yet someone else can post "I pooped today" and get 1000 congrats.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that you feel that way Ileana.

Just by way of illustration, yesterday I logged on to SR at 7am - I logged off at 10 PM.

I wasn't here all the time, but I put in a good days work - & it still wasn't enough to answer every new post.

We try tho - we really do

D
Old 07-22-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm also sorry that you feel that way Ileana.

I don't put in as much time as Dee does, but I do try to reply to posts that have very few responses. I was away last week for a family vacation, but I still managed to check in every day and to try to respond to at least a couple of threads.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

It just bugs me. A frequent poster has admitted she/he is not aiming for sobriety (why even on this board after 2000 posts in Newcomers I don't know- after 2000 posts I don't think they are a newcomer) but gets reply after reply and a newcomer asking for help gets like 7 replies? I lurk here and there but it bugs me.
The Newcomers forum is open to any and all. There is NO definition of Newcomers. I've been here since 2003 and I still post in Newcomers.

If you feel that someone is annoying you because they post often or get too many responses, use the Ignore Feature. It works well.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Because most alcoholics like DRAMA. Kinda sad, but true.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

In other words, the more "drama" the more attention it gets. That's definitely the pattern around here and is one of the reasons I took a break from here a few weeks ago. Tonight I'm just checking in. :-) Hope you're doing well River!
Old 07-22-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I gotta admit that the theoretical considerations around this thread are twisting my melon and maybe even the fabric time and space itself

What happens when it reaches 100 post's? Some kinda threadception or thread2k thing for sure. It's a bit disconcerting for me in fact, wow

I am not sure, working around a hypothesis at present that it has something to do with this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_by_zero
Old 07-22-2015, 11:05 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

It's funny you should say that, Stratman. After I read this thread I'm sure I lost 10 minutes somewhere - a cause of some consternation, to be sure.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:08 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I think that clicking thanks to all replies is good "forum etiquette." It's a nice way of acknowledging that you read it.

It's kinda like giving a nod saying 'thanks'