SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   day 9 beer/cigarettes (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/371896-day-9-beer-cigarettes.html)

tonisherrell 07-19-2015 04:20 PM

day 9 beer/cigarettes

I really just want one beer an three cigarettes.. My av is trying to convince me that's all it will be... Kind of working ...

suki44883 07-19-2015 04:29 PM

It's good that you recognize it as your AV trying to weaken you. Please don't listen. The AV lies and you know that. Stay strong.

toadie54 07-19-2015 04:41 PM

Day 9 is a great achievement, day 10 will be even greater!

doggonecarl 07-19-2015 04:54 PM

Hope you remained strong.

gettingsmarter 07-19-2015 04:58 PM

Don't listen to it. It will tell you the exact same thing again right after the first. And again and again and and and. 9 days is great. Keep it up.

neferkamichael 07-19-2015 05:04 PM

Tonisherrell day 9 no beer/cigarettes is just FANTASTIC, congratulations. For sure your AV is workin on you big time. Please just say no, your AV will go away, just takes some time, rootin for ya. :egypt:
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...Mv-x54pmnJonmw

Della1968 07-19-2015 05:43 PM

Hope you are doing ok....just remember AV lies like a rug.

NestWasEmpty 07-19-2015 05:52 PM

I could never stop at one always lead to just one more . Than regrets the next day - it's too late . Puff 9 great days sober only to go though it all again ? Chose 0 and wake up with a Smile on your 10th day !

Dee74 07-19-2015 05:54 PM

It's never 'just one', ever.

stay strong Toni - don't buy those lies :)

D

Incontrol15 07-19-2015 06:23 PM

Yup. The AV is cunning like that. Just imagine you're dealing with something that will do ANYTHING to get what it wants.

In my personal experience, I find trying to ignore it makes it louder. It just worked harder to be heard. Read up on Urge Surfing. That's helpful with dealing with an unreasonable AV.

Now...in case you don't know....the more we try NOT to think of something, the more we do. The more we try to focus on just ONE thing, the more we get distracted.

Use that in your favor. I liked talking to my AV. I let it say all it wanted to say and I listed intently to to it. Then it was my turn. I would play that tape forward which never ended well. I would then play the tape forward if I didn't do it and the ending was always better.

It's also very helpful to get a pen and paper then write. Write what ever is in your mind. Even if its "I want a drink" 50 times in a row. If it's in your mind, write it down. Doesn't have to make sense. The goal is to fill 3 pages of notes. Anything at all. Just keep writing.

When done, you'll find your mind is purged of the thoughts that are unproductive and replaced by the more positive thoughts that were taking 2nd seat.

least 07-19-2015 06:33 PM

Don't fall for it. Stay sober and it will get better with time. Eventually you won't have those thoughts much anymore. It gets better. :)

DitzyDandelion 07-19-2015 06:33 PM

And we all know AV won't suddenly shut up after one beer and by then your resolve is a little weaker.

PurpleKnight 07-20-2015 05:35 AM

Hope you made it through Toni!! :)

CaseyW 07-20-2015 07:02 AM

How are you doing this morning, Toni?

2muchpain 07-20-2015 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by tonisherrell (Post 5472795)
I really just want one beer an three cigarettes.. My av is trying to convince me that's all it will be... Kind of working ...

I really don't understand why people try to quit more than one addiction at a time, but I commend you for your efforts. For me, quitting drinking is a full time job in itself. I put quitting smoking on the back burner. Maybe I'm just a woose, but quitting one addiction at a time is all I can handle. Your clearly much stronger than I am. Quitting drinking and smoking at the same time would drive me up the wall!!!!!!!!:You_Rock_ John