Notices

Hello everyone

Old 07-21-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by endlesspatience View Post
Let me add my welcome. In your posts you say your life was unhappy but drinking was fun. Can you look objectively at it? Do you really think the drinking was fun when you include the cost, the consequences and the hangovers? If I look back over my life over the past year, which was mostly sober, the fun times and the happy times were when I was sober, not drunk.

Its what i thought was fun, it was me running away from my issues. It wasnt the answer, but when the problems surfaced i reached for that bottle so i didnt think about them. Today is day 6 and im laughing the same way i was when i was drinking. Ive had thoughts each day of just one drink for a buzz, i know it wont be just one and i cant do it.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing great Whispers
Old 07-21-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Hey Whispers. Welcome to SR and sobriety from another NYer. You're doing great.

-allan
Old 07-21-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks cousinA, i wasnt sure i could make the first day here we are day 6. This is going to be a battle as my problems didnt go away, that will take time to be resolved. But i feel good and energized, how i went from a casual drinker to an alcoholic blows my mind.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Yeah, that's the insidiousness of alcoholism. It began as hanging out drinking beer with my friends on the weekends and ended with my life out of control and being terrified to stop.

Six days is fantastic. You know you can do six so make seven tomorrow. . Problems will always be there, it's part of life but sober we get a chance to face them. I identify with your family issues. My mother is 85 and doing "ok" but she's 85 and needs help. Sober, I get to be there for her. If i could have looked forward to now when I first got sober I don't know if I would have stuck around but I can tell you I'm glad I did. Life is good today. It beats lying drunk and od'd on a park bench.

It's important to give time time. You didn't get here overnight and it takes a while to get back into sober living - but not as long as you think. You don't have to do this alone.

I have to run but will look out for you here on SR.

-allan
Old 07-21-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're with you Whispers. Don't be frustrated - you'll grow a bit stronger every day. A new life awaits.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

HI whispersny, you said: The bottom of that bottle didn't have any answers for me.. And there never will be, just ask some of the seasoned vets around here. Sorry to hear about your mother and I believe its very understandable to be in your position after something like that. But you can beat it and this place will assist you.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks thomas