Notices

Having a bad day 3

Old 07-19-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having a bad day 3

I am having a hard time day 3. I have had anxiety attacks, fatigue and pain. Feels like my heart is in my throat, yet I can't muster the energy to do anything. I want to nap but when I try the anxiety sets in. Is this my new normal? How long will this last? I have stopped before but never have had this experience before. I feel like I am going crazy. How can I make it stop?
Old 07-19-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Unfortunately it is normal for day 3.
I went through some pretty rough withdrawals.
Didn't sleep for nearly 3 nights,and sweat......phew.

Good news is, it will stop. Once you get through this you'll feel more at ease in your own skin.
If it gets too crazy don't hesitate to go to the ER.
I had a blood pressure machine at home and my numbers were crazy high.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bob, I feel like I am being pulled in different directions. Anxiety vs. fatigue. I took by BP and though it is a bit on the high side I am just doing my best to ride this out. I have never had this happen and want to be back "in my own skin".

Thanks for posting and your support.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What you are experiencing is a bit different for each individual. If this is the first time it has happened to you, you may want to look up kindling effect. You should be able to get through it provided you do not drink. Regarding how to make it stop, I am not sure you can. Maybe someone can address that better than myself, but in my experience, it will stop on its own. Your body is recovering.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Breath Kaiflyguy, the more you panic the worse it'll get!!

Day 3 is still early, the body needs time to sort things out so don't panic too much.

How about some fresh air? or some kind of overall distraction to take your mind off things, the worst thing I found was sitting with my thoughts!!

Hang in there!!
Old 07-19-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds about right for day 3. I wouldn't sleep a wink until at least day 4. Physically I would be exhausted but my mind just wouldn't shut off. Good news is that you are probably through the worst of it. Try to distract yourself. movies, Netflix got me through the worst of it.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Anxiety is very common in early recovery, especially during physical withdrawal, which you are in now. Give yourself more time and it should get better.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Kaiflyguy congrats on day 3 that is amazing in itself

Have you spoke to a Dr regarding your anxiety ? if you explain you have stopped drinking and your in the early stages of sobriety there is help avalible

For me i went to the Dr in the 1st week and it made all the diffrence

Rootin for you bud
Old 07-19-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey kaiflyguy ,

Sorry to hear you're not feeling great...as the others have said, it's all part of the hell u go thru. Last time I got sober, For me, day 4 was the beginning of an upswing. I physically felt better but mentally I was beating myself up and couldn't get rid of the anxiety.
Keep posting and perhaps try some of the suggestions the others have given...Netflix, walk, interact. I just had to pass time.
I'm on day 4 myself and feeling much better than yesterday. I think only bc I didn't drink as much as I had when I stopped in January.
I'm thinking of you ...big hugs and stay close xo
Old 07-19-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaiflyguy View Post
I am having a hard time day 3. I have had anxiety attacks, fatigue and pain. Feels like my heart is in my throat, yet I can't muster the energy to do anything. I want to nap but when I try the anxiety sets in. Is this my new normal? How long will this last? I have stopped before but never have had this experience before. I feel like I am going crazy. How can I make it stop?
Kaifly- I went through this.. its better now overall (day 6 but I went through 3 day fives, so I would say a couple of weeks battling the anxiety hard , and still do in the morning) Hit me starting first Day 3 onward also because I think my first 1 and 2 I still had alcohol in my system so wasn't having major anxiety yet. You tube some deep breathing or meditation/guided imagery for anxiety. That helps me. Just went to vitamin store to get Valerian. I have read each time you stop the withdrawal is worse, don't want to find out! This site assured me others go through this and it gets better!

Do you have a doctor to call tomorrow if its the same?
Old 07-19-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Just wanted to give you some ideas . For me it helped a lot to keep your mind busy . Read something even if it's on here , maybe look up others that have gone though this get more pointers . Try not to sit in places you did when you drank, go into another room . Work on some project that you wanted to do or think of stuff that you want to do, write it down. If it seems nothing is helping when I was in a dry out place ( this will sound strange ) they gave me Benadryl , yes I know it's for allergies but it has a calming affect . That's if your not on anxiety meds. After I got out I asked my Dr. to put me on anxiety pills . Also sometimes it helps to splash water on your face and body to snap you out of a panic attack . Hope I have helped in some way . It will pass , hang in there
Old 07-20-2015, 01:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Those first few days are really hard, Kaiflyguy. The first week was the worst for me. Try to drink lots of water, get some rest, eat whatever you feel like and try to find something to stay busy. Maybe binge-watching a tv series?

It does get better but your brain and body chemistry is really screwed up for a time when you first quit drinking. It will pass, and things get a lot better. Hang on!
Old 07-20-2015, 01:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing now Kaiflyguy?

D
Old 07-20-2015, 02:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hang in there Kaiflyguy, it will get better. It's definitely not the new normal.

It's just the body trying to recover. I don't think we realize how much damage we do to our bodies when we binge.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Rooting for you Kaifly,

This is the bastard beast waking up and realising you are on to it. It fears you.

It will sulk away. It doesn't have infinite energy, it tires. And it cannot make you do anything.

Hope you are feeling a little better. It does pass.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Normal. It will pass though. The first phase is the hardest. I didn't have many withdrawal symptoms. Just a couple with the heaviest being extreme sweating. That was over on day 8.

Give it a week and you'll probably feel a lot better.

What helped me was going for a walk a lot. Find distraction. Post here. Eat healthy. And drink enough water.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Member

It does get better, Kaiflyguy. 3 days is tremendous but still very early in recovery. Think of all the years you spent abusing your body with booze and give yourself a little more time. Don't quit trying just before the miracle happens!