Notices

Struggled last night

Old 07-19-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggled last night

So boyfriend drinks and I have no problem when it is just him and I relaxing at home and he has some beer and I don't. Last night after work I went home to him and a buddy, drinking, loud music etc. I honestly didn't know what to do. Felt really anxious and frustrated, probably came off a bit rude and almost left but I was tired and wanted to stay home. I wanted to give in but I didn't, a lot having to do with the fact that I'd feel foolish if I said I was going to stop drinking again and 3 days later.. Drink. I ended up relaxing and having fun with them without drinking. I told myself if I drink it will not be fun like I think it will. I will ruin the night. I did have one cigarette which I am kind of disappointed in myself for because I quit smoking as well and have been doing good. But one cig is better than a ton of booze and a panic attack in the morning. I talked to my boyfriend about it asking if he thought that I was overreacting or "weird" by giving up alcohol and he said no. He said it is obvious that it has always caused me problems and that it affects me in a bad way and stopping is okay and the right thing for me to do. It made me feel better that he agrees that I am doing something good for myself. Very glad today that I didn't drink and I realize that I will have to be around people that are, it was just hard last night I guess because it was unexpected and I had no choice in being around it.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job on staying sober and staying with your comitment. Doesn't it feel so much better in the morning. And I agree that one cig is much better than a night of drinking.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I have a no alcohol rule in our home which mrs sw supports strongly

Is there a chance thats possible for you
Old 07-19-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Soberwolf - unfortunately no 😔
Old 07-19-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job on pushing through!!

I guess though having a conversation and talking about it would probably be a way forward, just to express your feelings and how important your Sobriety is in your life, that may be helpful!!
Old 07-19-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

My wife enjoys wine but has been really good about not drinking it around me, she says it's important for our relationship for her not to be bringing it around. When one of us has a problem we sometimes have to make sacrifices for each other, is that something your partner could handle?
Old 07-19-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have not expressed that I'd like him to stop because I dont think its fair and I dont think it would be easy for him. I do think that he will keep the big party nights to when I am aware and can make other plans
Old 07-19-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Originally Posted by HopePeace View Post
I have not expressed that I'd like him to stop because I dont think its fair and I dont think it would be easy for him. I do think that he will keep the big party nights to when I am aware and can make other plans
I agree in that I would be selfish to ask her to stop when it is me with the problem but she has been very accommodating and I am sure your partner will be for you as well.