Notices

Was this a pass or a fail?

Old 07-19-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Was this a pass or a fail?

We had some friends down for this weekend, there is something called musicfest in my town. Its an outdoor venue and its close to my house so we can here the bands, its kind of fun. We sit on the deck, grill some food and listen to the music. My friend enjoy's the same drink I used to drink, spiced rum and coke. I asked him to have a sip, since its been a pretty long time. I had two sips of it and it was disgusting (to put it mildly). I laughed and said to him "how can you drink that sh*t) It tasted nothing like I remember. I remember it being kinda tasty, and really like getting the first two of them down pretty fast. The only analogy I can use it that it was like if a baby gets a taste of a lemon, how they make goofy faces and you can tell they don't like it. Anyway, I took it as a good thing. I don't consider a slip or relapse. Some of you may disagree.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

the fact that you asked to have booze and then had some.....what do you consider it?
and would that consideration change if you had enjoyed the taste?
Old 07-19-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not something I would have done, but the important thing is it didn't lead to a night of drinking Jeff, it stopped at one sip.

I remember when I first started to drink I had to get accustomed to the taste, because most things, including Guinness was an acquired taste, and yet I continued to make most types of alcohol palatable to the point of being able to drink litres of the stuff a week!!
Old 07-19-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, I had something very similar in the first month after deciding to get sober for good (~a week or something like that). Then I came here to SR a couple hours later to report and ask what it means, should I change my sobriety date because of it, how to interpret it. I got suggestions that it might be helpful for me to remember that even though I had no (conscious) intention of getting drunk or starting to drink again, I did intentionally try an alcoholic drink for whatever reason, and perhaps it's helpful not to minimize that and make myself remember. I personally thought that was helpful advice and decided to indeed take note of it and do something that will make me remember long-term, so I just adjusted my sobriety date and followed the original plan. Not giving you advice, just sharing what I did since it was a very similar experience.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

After all you've been through due to the drinking, you still don't seem to acknowledge that it could have turned out much worse and that your sobriety could be a matter of life or death for you.

While you don't think those sips are a big deal, what if it had turned out differently? You were playing with fire. You seriously need to think about why you wanted a sip of your friend's drink. Doing the same thing again could lead to a very different result next time.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think I'll cheat on my wife to find out if I feel guilty after...

I know, not the same thing.

FAIL
Old 07-19-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, since there's no test, there's probably no pass or fail marks to be handed out. However, I do think you're playing with fire. And that you put it to your mouth so nonchalantly, as it seems, indicates you haven't prioritized "not drinking" in your psyche just yet.

Personally, I had to get to the point of banishing any considerations of drinking alcohol ever again. When an urge or a thought pops up, I pause, quickly work it out in my mind and chalk it up to "AV", and then go on about my business. It must be dealt with and not tossed aside for if I don't deal with it, it will fester in the recesses of my mind somewhere until it is finally dealt with, you know?

But to put the bottle up to your lips like that, with somewhat of a flippant attitude, well, that is flirting with disaster, Jeff.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me personally- if I drank: Fail . Don't tempt yourself and play games with this stuff. It's no joke. Alcoholism (active) = death.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What I find interesting is that you basically did it for the alcohol and then rationalize it.

Your excuse is that it had been a long time. But in reality you just wanted the alcohol.

If it wasn't based on the addiction, you wouldn't have done it. I mean, really, how important is it to know how it tasted again? Mere curiosity is easily overcome, ignored and not acted on.

Besides, one sip would have been enough...

I call this a relapse. Not a huge one, but still a relapse. You gave in. Look at it, learn from it, make the changes in yourself so you don't do it again and move on. Just one sip is really, really risky for us addicts.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds to me that you're getting a bit cocky even though you've only been sober a few months. Have you forgotten so quickly where you came from? Are you trying to prove to yourself and others that you are "cured"? I think it is your own personal business whether you chose to call it a relapse or not. These are just some questions you might want to ask your self.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
under new management

Hi Jeff, I am surmising from your OP that you are inviting opinions

I don't need to have a sip of my previous DOC to see if I still like the taste or not. I never drank simply to enjoy the "taste" of a vodka soda. I would guess that most people here don't drink for the "taste".

For me this would be flirting with disaster, playing Russian roulette with my precious, hard won sobriety.

I just don't see the point of a "sip".
Old 07-19-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Jeff you knowingly put alcohol in your body its up to you what you make of that
Old 07-19-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It would be different if it had been an accident, but you chose to drink it, even if it was just a 'sip'. If it were me, I'd start at day one again since it was deliberate.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

The program I follow cautions me about living vicariously through others who drink. Might be something to consider.

Only you can prevent forest fires.......
Old 07-19-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Jeff -- I've got to agree you're playing with fire. The thing about that is that you won't win when you play with fire. It may make you feel powerful & daring & superior to the fire to escape without getting burned once, but in the long run, you're toast.

I know whereof I speak.

I hope you decide to give your sobriety the respect it deserves.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If it made you react in a way that you've put this much thought into it, then I'd say you're playing with fire too.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, now you know that you don't enjoy the taste. You won't need to try it again.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
the fact that you asked to have booze and then had some.....what do you consider it?
and would that consideration change if you had enjoyed the taste?
To answer the first question, I consider it curiosity. I am not sure I can answer your second question definitively as it would be pure speculation.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The one thing I recall hearing in meetings
was, when we get a taste of recovery and
get sober with a recovery program that it
definitely screws up our drinking.

Meaning, drinking will never be the same.

Learning about being honest in recovery
and life is one of many lessons to learn in
recovery. If I continue to lie, cheat, steal
then there is no way to truly live a life in
recovery happy, joyous and free.

If I had knowingly ask and taken a sip of
alcohol while in recovery just to test the
waters and see if It would have any kind
of effect on me, then I am guilty of that
act. The guilt of knowing what I did will
and would forever follow me to the ends
of the Earth.

Even after 24 yrs sober, I am not curious
as to find out if a sip or 2 will make a difference
in my life because 1 or 2 sips would never
be enough to satisfy my cravings for it.

Even tho I don't want to drink today and
not worried about tomorrow because its
not here yet, over the yrs with so many
going back out to test the waters for me,
confirms that alcohol and drugs have not
changed in 24 yrs and don't expect it to.

So I will stay on my recovery journey
remain willing, openminded and honest
in all my affairs to do what is absolutely
best my sober life.

Experiencing that Honesty aspect in
my life finally has opened a door to a
freedom I had never experienced before.

It is truly a gift worth achieving.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

the pitcher plant is calling

It smells like a trap...

In a couple of weeks time, another outing....ah sure the last time I didn't even like the taste, so I'll just sip on one, probably won't even finish it.....

Couple of weeks later.....jesus sure I drank that one and didn't even feel like another.....I'll allow myself a couple...