SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Alcohol and driving (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/371865-alcohol-driving.html)

Hope2014 07-19-2015 06:49 AM

Alcohol and driving

I'm so thankful to be sober. Alcohol and a bad decision ended these 4 lives in an instant.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2296757

Wholesome 07-19-2015 06:52 AM

Reading that made all my hairs stand on end. Terrible.

sva777 07-19-2015 07:29 AM

Horrible accident, those roads out on the north fork can be quite confusing as well. One read of the comment section and you can see how the general public feels on the matter, don't ever drink and drive.

PurpleKnight 07-19-2015 08:33 AM

Horrific!! :(

Soberwolf 07-19-2015 10:15 AM

Prayers for all involved & affected by this

Hevyn 07-19-2015 12:15 PM

I've been thinking of this all day. So ironic that the ladies thought they were keeping themselves safe by not driving. Prayers for those whose lives will never be the same.

Incontrol15 07-19-2015 12:44 PM

It's hard to imagine being anyone involved in that situation. The driver, the drivers family, the victims, their families and friends. The witnesses.

Lots of people were impacted by this one person who was drunk.

That could have absolutely been me. I drove drunk every single day. Heck....I had a bottle in my car and mixed drinks while driving. It really scares me now to think of what could have happened.

Before, at most, I was marginally worried about getting arrested. Now I consider it a miracle I didn't loll myself (which at the time I would have been ok with), or kill others.

I am soooo thankful.
In fact, i think I've used up all my luck. The odds of not doing serious harm if I were to drink and drive again would be really slim.

Thank you for sharing.

FreeOwl 07-20-2015 04:04 AM

The general public feels drinking and driving is horribly wrong....

Yet every single day, the general public does it.

I did it for years.... I got arrested for it twice. Every day we see people parked at bars and restaurants... They drive there, they drank, they drove home.

Many are below the legal limit. But many are not. Many are not drunk.... But many are. Alcohol is one of the leading killers in the western world. Drinking and driving among the leading ways it kills. Many of the same people who lambaste and judge the people who kill other people in DUI crashes are the people who party and serve and drink with those people... Every day.

The alcohol aisles at groceries are three or four aisles wide. We have drive-thru beer stores. The greater share of events people drive to serve alcohol....

Alcohol and driving kill. Yet every single day, each of us know someone who does it.....

Tang 07-20-2015 04:17 AM

I wish all vehicles required ignition interlock devices (car breathalyzer to start vehicle). While I know this isn't going to happen, I can dream.

FreeOwl 07-20-2015 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tang (Post 5473480)
I wish all vehicles required ignition interlock devices (car breathalyzer to start vehicle). While I know this isn't going to happen, I can dream.

I think interlock devices will be seen as archaic and the coming generation of smart cars will have the standard ability to detect of a driver is impaired ( by alcohol, drugs, medical emergency, texting....) and will be able to assume control and take the driver off the road.

DitzyDandelion 07-20-2015 04:29 AM

I am glad now that my licence will be something I get as a reward for sobriety. I meant to years back but kept putting it off.

A friend has offered me their old motorbike as they have a bigger better one so perhaps a new hobby there that by it's nature excludes drinking.

Tang 07-20-2015 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by FreeOwl (Post 5473501)
I think interlock devices will be seen as archaic and the coming generation of smart cars will have the standard ability to detect of a driver is impaired ( by alcohol, drugs, medical emergency, texting....) and will be able to assume control and take the driver off the road.

Yes, same concept. Agreed.