Notices

Music festival

Old 07-18-2015, 09:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Music festival

Heading to sleep, night two of a music festival. My little girls snoring away.

Lots of examples of how I used to be all around me.

It's so good to be sober, to wake in the mornings fresh and feeling good. To really hear the music. To join in the fun at the jam tent and learn some new things. To see the reminders of why I choose sobriety. To be here with my friends and my family and be able to enjoy the weekend camping and playing and hearing music - but not need to drink to enjoy it!

Good night everyone... Sober is better.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Enjoy the rest of the Festival Free

D
Old 07-18-2015, 10:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have fun! I can't really go anywhere yet. Tomorrow, I'm going to a family event for kids. Usually I'd have about 4 swigs just to get through the event because I didn't want to be very far from my stash. It's very liberating to know I'll be leaving the house and not counting minutes, trying sneak off to the car, where, incidentally, family has found bottles because I'd forgotten, etc. I can just enjoy myself and not be irritated by the waiting to get back to "enjoy" something hidden in my boot.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In many years past I'd had never been at something like this without a head full of booze and pot the whole time.

I see a lot of folks still doing that, but I'm having fun and enjoying the experience with my kids and my lady, sober and free. Another sober friend of mine is a fee campsites down with his kids, he's a volunteer for the children's area.

Whereas in past I probably would have spent most of my time drinking around the campsite, I've spent most of my time at music, workshops, swimming in the lake with the kids, talking to people and having a good time.

Turns out, with some good sober time as a foundation, we can still do the things we've enjoyed and - frequently - find we enjoy them even more!

I haven't been plagued with waning to drink... There are plenty of examples all around me that remind me why I don't.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Interesting contrast this morning.... As I am enjoying my coffee and a cool morning breeze, two police cruisers and several festival officials have converged on the campsite two down from ours.... There have been two nights of over the top drunkenness and complaints out of that crew and several are now being removed.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Interesting contrast this morning.... As I am enjoying my coffee and a cool morning breeze, two police cruisers and several festival officials have converged on the campsite two down from ours.... There have been two nights of over the top drunkenness and complaints out of that crew and several are now being removed.
As I read this I could feel that incredibly lousy feeling = waking up still drunk wonder where I was, what I did and not comprehending the world around me.

Terror, bewilderment, frustration and despair personified.

I too am enjoying early Sunday morning coffee sitting on the deck with a clear head!

Old 07-19-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow! That is awesome!
Old 07-19-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fantastic!! Enjoy the Festival!!
Old 07-19-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Took in a festival yesterday. Was a whole new experience sober and I feel much better the morning after!
Old 07-19-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Heading to sleep, night two of a music festival. My little girls snoring away.

Lots of examples of how I used to be all around me.

It's so good to be sober, to wake in the mornings fresh and feeling good. To really hear the music. To join in the fun at the jam tent and learn some new things. To see the reminders of why I choose sobriety. To be here with my friends and my family and be able to enjoy the weekend camping and playing and hearing music - but not need to drink to enjoy it!

Good night everyone... Sober is better.
This MusicFestival doesn't happen to be in Minnesota does it?
Old 07-19-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not far from there... And a lot of Minnesotans here.

It's in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Old 07-20-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

a lot of people spent a lot of this weekend drinking all around me....

some of them were sloppy drunk and fighting and causing drama.

many of them, though, were 'just fine'. But every morning, even the 'just fine's' had campsites littered with bottles and cans. Sure, there were lots of people not drinking at all. I saw them waking up at 6/6:30 like me. Some were out running at sunrise. Some were playing with their children and talking quietly around the coffee pot.

Yet many, many, MANY spent the entire weekend pickled. "Functioning".

I'm grateful to be free of that. I didn't feel like drinking at all this weekend. I didn't feel jealous or glum or upset. I was just glad it wasn't me pouring hundreds of dollars in toxic liquid down my own throat in order to earn a bleary-eyed morning headache that would leave me with no choice but to start drinking again by 8am.

The music was good, my children had a blast, I jammed a little with some fun musicians, learned some things, smiled a lot, got a lot of sun and water time and enjoyed camping with my little girls.

Dear Alcohol: "Good riddance".

Old 07-20-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you had to break it down into percentages, what percent of the people would you guess were heavily drinking and what was the percentage of people who did not drink anything such as yourself? Just curious.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sounds like fun, free owl. Pleased you had a good weekend.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
If you had to break it down into percentages, what percent of the people would you guess were heavily drinking and what was the percentage of people who did not drink anything such as yourself? Just curious.
I donno... anecdotally I'd probably put it at "LOTS" and "Not very damn many".

Old 07-20-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Wow, what a coincidence. Went to a concert Saturday night from a band call A1A...the original and official Jimmy Buffett tribute band. Strangely enough, my almost 80 YO parents started the idea. We all went. Parents, sister, other sister and hub, me. Took a picnic and such. Had a great time. All of us sober. Only a few drunks around. First time I've done that sober.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Enjoy the festival FO
Old 07-20-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I donno... anecdotally I'd probably put it at "LOTS" and "Not very damn many".

Sounds about right.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notgonnastoptry View Post
Have fun! I can't really go anywhere yet. Tomorrow, I'm going to a family event for kids. Usually I'd have about 4 swigs just to get through the event because I didn't want to be very far from my stash. It's very liberating to know I'll be leaving the house and not counting minutes, trying sneak off to the car, where, incidentally, family has found bottles because I'd forgotten, etc. I can just enjoy myself and not be irritated by the waiting to get back to "enjoy" something hidden in my boot.
Wow, this is me to a T. I look forward to the day I can go to any event, especially a music festival, sober and away from the shackles of alcohol.

FO - as I was ready the rest of the thread, I imagined what you were going through....and it was refreshing. Thanks for the read.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
levonhelmrules

I just got back from Targhee fest. It was my first time at that festival sober. It was soooooooo much better! I felt so much more in touch with the music.