Notices

What I've learned from IOP so far that might benefit others

Old 07-18-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What I've learned from IOP so far that might benefit others

Four emotions: Hurt, Anger, Fear, and Joy. Most people go from feeling, to thinking, to behavior. But our brains, through alcohol have been rewired and we skip the thinking. I know this was the case for me in my habits. Something bad happened or something or someone made me angry, the brain told me to get to the liquor store, even on days I swore I wouldn't start up again. This is habit forming.

Another one that struck me: Euphoric memories of drinking. We think about the fun, the relaxation, the sociability, etc. but we don't play our various scenarios to the end of the "tape". I guess we need to say DVD or iTunes nowadays.

I'm sure this is very repetitive for most people and you've heard it, but I thought I'd share.

My therapist helped my husband understand how it's a disease and we came away from the meeting in much better moods.

I've posted here before, under various names that I'd forgotten but I know we have similarities in terms of the hiding, negotiating with ourselves, trying to set limits by buying only a pint, but it was interesting to hear it all echoed in real life.

So far, so good. It's the long term I'm worried about, but as they keep saying, I'm sober for today.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad IOP seems to be of benefit to you notgonnastoptry. Thank you for sharing

D
Old 07-18-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're learning a lot and you have a good attitude. I hope it continues to go well for you.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi notgonnastoptry, I agree! When we drank we dismissed as much as we could the hangovers, embarrassment , and embraced the drinking like it was an old friend.

How addiction wires our brains!
Old 07-18-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At the end, I would have small withdrawals very quickly. It was mostly jittering (not really full out shaking). I'd run to liquor store, for the second time that day, get a pint, and needed two hands, for the first time ever, to hold that thing to my lips and take just two sips before driving the one block home. There's no excuse for open alcohol, even if I weren't drunk. But that was my method. And, boom, I'd feel fine again. But I knew that something was very, very wrong.

I just didn't know it was headed the way it was. In my case, I don't think without this crisis I could have stopped. I'm not advocating my journey by any means, but I kept playing a bunch of games with myself.

In IOP I heard the saying, you usually stop for liver, lover, or lawyer. It was kind of funny and sad at the same time.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

That may be true. If we do stop for any of those things it got us out of the dark put we was heading down.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great to hear it's all going well!!
Old 07-19-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 07-19-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great stuff Glad you got something from IOP. I did as well. IOP was the catalyst I needed to launch successfully into my sobriety.