Notices

What is even normal

Old 07-19-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

IMHO, if you have to ask if your drinking is "normal", it probably isn't.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I want to add one thing. I think there are problem drinkers who don't get smashed or rotate liquor stores, simply because they are working very hard to "keep the wheels from falling off." They may even do this successfully for years. But a common theme will still be the fixation on counting or planning or worry that you may be out... I don't want to claim one person's level of drinking activity is worse than another's . The fact is I believe these folks eventually can decline into heavier drinking. If you're already drinking more than AMA or other medical agency recommends for health, then feel free to read the articles on the effects of long term heavy drinking.

I ask myself, why would I in my right mind choose to poison myself? There in lies the insanity of addiction.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by HopePeace View Post
Wondering today what "normal use" of alcohol even is? Just drinking one or two but never to get drunk? To relax? To enjoy the taste of the beer? Having wine with dinner? And if the people who usually drink like that end up getting wasted, blacking out and embarassing themselves r they still normal drinkers? I know when it's causing problems in your life that is when it's a problem but don't even "normal" drinkers have some bad experiences?
Hi HopePeace,

Your question reminds that one of the members here on SR, EndGameNYC, once posted a long term study that followed the drinking habits of a group of men of varying socioeconomic status from the Boston area, aged early 20s throughout their lifespan. It was really interesting to read the findings. I will try to search and post the article if you have not yet read.

Last edited by Verte; 07-19-2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: EG, if you read this, do you remember the article and would you mind posting it if you are sitting around or something?
Old 07-20-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
pray for strength

While searching for the journal article I mentioned earlier I came across this one. Take a look at the results, discussion, conclusion, as well as the figures. Interesting!

The Spread of Alcohol Consumption Behavior in a Large Social Network
Old 07-20-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I used to think that I was addicted to Diet Coke. I drank 7-8 a day for years, no, maybe decades! Then before I even quit drinking alcohol, I got on to a health kick and I decided that I had to quit drinking Diet Cokes. In less than a week, I didn't even miss it anymore. I never had to joint a support forum to quit drinking Diet Cokes. I never got panicky at the thought of never ever drinking Diet Coke ever again. Diet Coke was never part of my social identity. I wasn't worried about what people thought about me not drinking Diet Coke anymore. Bottom line, I realized how real my addiction to alcohol was when I realized how not addicted to Diet Coke I was for all of those years. And I promise, I LOVED my Diet Coke.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

OK DD, I think I am behind you on kicking the diet coke….but it's my only vice!!!!

My husband is a normie. I have been with him 20 years and seen him drunk about 3 times. He doesn't think about alcohol, he enjoys it but there is no plotting or planning and no distress if it is not available. It does not weigh into any decisions he makes as he goes through life. I have never seen him come home from work stressed and use alcohol, he goes for a run instead. I have never seen him anxious to get to a bar, or get a drink down.

Alcohol doesn't take up any space in his head. He often opts not to drink in situations where drinking would be perfectly acceptable. Who does that??

My relationship with alcohol didn't become complicated until the last 5 years. I noticed the difference in the way I would drink compared to my husband. I "used" alcohol, I made decisions based on the availability of alcohol, I had a constant stream of consciousness about alcohol.

I see the difference as more the space in my head versus the level in my glass. I knew the preoccupation with alcohol was not normal. The energy drinking or not drinking took before I got sober left me drained in other areas. The thoughts crowded out other forms of pleasure, interests, emotions.

I know we often feel that alcohol is everywhere when we first get sober. The most shocking thing to me was how much of the world exists without alcohol. I had to put down the glass to pick up my life. I don't think normies have that type of relationship with alcohol.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Doubledragons - I am the same but with diet pepsi and my boyfriend said the other day that it's so bad for me and I should give that up too... But the diet pepsi stays for now!