Notices

Try something new, erry'day, fer a month!

Old 07-16-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Try something new, erry'day, fer a month!

For me, this month, it is running. A 5k a day (that's the minumum) plus 100 sit ups.

This was a challenge that a friend started. I am a runner but it's been many years since I ran DAILY for any real length of time. So this challenge has been good. 5k isn't all that far really, and only needs about 30-35 minutes to knock out, so with shower time it's a 1 hour commitment that burns 400-500 calories, gives me a burst of endorphins, helps relieve stress and generally improves my mood and physical state.

It can seem really hard, nigh on impossible, to commit to such things. But then if we reflect on how committed we were to drinking - it's hard to imagine that we can happily commit 5,10, 20+ hours a week to drinking and recovering from drinking - but find it a challenge to commit to something just 7 hours a week that is infinitely better for us.

Anyway, maybe it's not running.. maybe it's walking or drawing or reading or visiting with a friend....

But what my point is here is this; committing to SOMETHING. Some daily committed, positive change, can be really powerful as a tool in sobriety. Trying one thing and committing to it every day for a month can be a great way to practice this. So often we look at sobriety as what we're NOT going to do..... let us not forget the tremendous opportunity sobriety brings us for what we ARE going to do!!

We need to actively change ourselves, our outlook, our habits, challenge our beliefs, explore new territory. And man... can it be fun and rewarding!!

#soberliferocks

Old 07-16-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love this! And I'm game. I need to think of something now.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fantastic post!! Small changes no matter how small I am an advocate!!
Old 07-16-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not really athletic, but have been making myself do brisk 30 minute walks every day and a few chores.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Not really athletic, but have been making myself do brisk 30 minute walks every day and a few chores.
Walks can be one of the healthiest things going.... I used to do walks as 'moving meditation', ensuring I spent time in nature and focused on my surroundings, allowing thoughts to float up and letting them go without attachment as I walked through the beauty, the simple miracle of the natural world.

It needn't be athletic or extreme - just something different, something new, something committed, something we hold sacred to ourselves... time with spirit, with our creative souls, with our physical body in nature.... these things are so powerful.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Are your 100 sit-ups in one go or broken into several reps? I can't do that many in one sitting.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
Are your 100 sit-ups in one go or broken into several reps? I can't do that many in one sitting.
I do them in sets of 25 or 50 depending on how feeling that day. Break them up however works for you!
Old 07-16-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice post FO
Old 07-16-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Awesome post!!!!