Notices

Advice Needed

Old 07-16-2015, 02:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice Needed

Haven't touched anything for a few months but things have been getting on top lately and that's all the trigger I needed. Started drinking got a few grams of coke and that was it, been up all day and all night hating myself and having the come down from hell and this morning I'm just sitting here torn between getting more to try to feel better or riding it out.

Just want to know the best way to overcome the urge to self-destruct when things go wrong.

Thanks and any advice is appreciated x
Old 07-16-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Posting here is a good start. My advice is to not get more- it will probably lead to more and more. For me, it was never enough.
Start fresh and redicate yourself to positive change. Look at what took you down and find ways to avoid that in the future.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome UKRebel

the support here really helped me. The support I got and the support I gave to others helped challenge the very low view I had of myself.

Once I had a healthy self esteem a gain it was very much harder to engage in that self destruction stuff.

Look forward to seeing you around

D
Old 07-16-2015, 02:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Getting high/drunk is your go-to way of coping with stress. At the moment your brain is telling you to calm down in the best way it knows how. We call it your AV or Addict/Alcoholic Voice. It comes from a very primitive part of your brain.

You need to be aware of AV, and know that it will pop up unexpectedly, and at times you can predict very well. I found that 5 deep conscious breaths were enough to calm me down and de-stress. Some people eat right away, especially carbs, others go for a run. Find out how to divert cravings with emergency measures so that periods of stress no longer mean relapse.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Get active doing something positive today, something you will feel proud about at the end of the day and tomorrow. If you just lay around you will fight urges all day long. Come on, up an' at 'em! Straighten up your house. Take a little walk. Go buy something healthy to eat that helps with recovery. Some fish or something with a lot of omega 3, like avocados. Or make a smoothie with fresh fruit. Drink water. No, give yourself a goal. Drink a minimum of 10 glasses of water today. Do 10 push ups and 30 jumping jacks. Check one thing off your to-do list- do you need to pay a bill or take out the trash? Keep yourself on a train today, banging through as much positive stuff as you can to stay busy for one, but two, to go to bed tonight feeling accomplished. YOu can do this. It's one day. Do it today. Get the crap out of your system and tomorrow will be easier.
I know because I am right there with you.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone really appreciate the time you've taken out of your day to reply. Some good points I haven't thought of and I decided not to get anymore as I new for me that would mean 3 days up and not sleeping/eating. You've helped a lot, thanks x
Old 07-16-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How are you feeling now UKRebel? Have you been able to get up and out at all? Stay close during tough moments, we're here for you.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome UKrebel
Old 07-16-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm ok just spent a day chilling out and doing a lot of thinking. Thank you enormously for your kind, supportive words.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum UKRebel!!
Old 07-16-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, UKRebel1968. I highly suggest joining and actively participating in the Class of July 2015 thread found on this same forum. It's a great way to learn from and help others who are in early recovery like yourself.

Wishing you the best today and hope to hear from you often...
Old 07-16-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hang in there, its a rough day today for me too... but I have decided to quit again, so lets go!
Old 07-16-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hang in there Rebel; you too Enfin. Absolutely nothing good will come if you pick up that first drink.

Stay close to this community. Post as often as you need to make it through to tomorrow, sober. One day at a time.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi rebel, good call on not getting any more substances. I'm sure it wasn't easy. It appears you are new. The folks on this site will really help you in times of need. And someone is here around the clock. Welcome and good luck to you.