Notices

Stay sober this weekend July 17th until...

Old 07-17-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
BigS
buy a plot , design it and get it built ?
When i did the French thing i was an unconventional kind of person and i was trying to make a house like a conventional person .

I wanted to make a bath out of slate and blocks but people kept persuading me otherwise, better to buy a plastic one i didn't like :0/ , i wanted to cut out half the roof in the lounge and have it full height to under the roof which would have made my sleeping area a gallery rather than an attic ..

I didn't do these things , it was a poorer experience because i didn't . builders of the pacific coast by lloyd kahn is a great book to get your imagination fired up .
Thanks for the sound advice, Mex. While I do have a faster fix for my current Internet issue (get my own private feed), I have indeed thought of purchasing and building in the future. I don't make nearly as much money as I used to, but I am a lot more responsible and don't spend as much...and land is affordable! I actually had a conversation with a few folks about buying and building someday. I feel that's a few years away, though. In the meantime, I will continue to save and keep my options open. Live in the moment, but also be responsible in working towards a manageable future. Isn't that what we do every day in regards to our alcoholism? These coping traits come in handy. Additionally, I am no longer tied to a lease, so I can move anywhere in the country (or anywhere in the world), anytime I want now. I plan to stay here in Guate. We have tropical beaches on two oceans, warm valleys, cool mountains and deep humid jungles. I think I'll stay in my area for the foreseeable future....but, a larger, private home in a quieter area is certainly realistic in the short term.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I appreciate the kind words. Just a little more looking backwards before I set my eyes firmly forward.

The lie that old villain living in my head told me that I believed was this: it doesn't matter if you get drunk every once in a while

On the face of it, it seems true. Who would say someone has a problem with alcohol if they just drank once a year?

What I discovered, though, is that I lost control shockingly fast. My tolerance is way down and I was black out drunk on an amount I used to throw down before dinner. After that I was just a train wreck careening off the tracks for about 20 hours.

No one in their right mind would think that ISN'T a problem. It doesn't matter if it is only once a year.

My AV's track record is perfect - everything it has ever told me has been a lie.

OK, enough on this. This is going to be a GREAT weekend!
Old 07-17-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Can i have a ticket and a straight jacket please
Old 07-17-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Non, thanks for posting.

The fact I would have to post about it is a determining factor in answering, "No," to those whispers.

I also think the anger comes out in force whenever I do something that really is harmful to me. I can see getting that way should I drink again, too.

Glad you're back and again thanks for your posts. You've helped me stay sober today.

((love&strength))
Old 07-17-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Gone to see my dad and sister. I'm full of pasta and ice cream. I'll eat healthier on Monday, I swear.

Today was so funny. I work at a large hospital and we often have students in and out. Today this guy came in to "shadow" one of the girls as she was doing a ward round. She's really nice but can be a bit serious and she said to him: "what are your goals? Your plan? What do you hope to get out of the day?" To which he replied with a really straight face: " Well, my main aim would be to survive the day".
The whole conversation was so funny

Maybe life isn't meant to be perfect. Maybe it's just made up out of funny moments
Old 07-17-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

today's gardening/cooking tip

Okay, so we all know that if left unchecked, squash will grow exponentially in just a few days provided the conditions are right.
Since my neighbor was kind enough to not pick any while I was away, I have a few almost ginormous specimens. Wife made a sauce using the green guys. The yellow fellows get grilled. Cut them so you can get nice even pieces about 4 to 5 inches long (10 cm). Coat them in olive oil - evoo as Rachel likes to say. Salt n peppa and maybe some eyetalian herbs. Put them on a very hot grill. After a minute position them to a 45 deg angle to get a nice looking grill mark. Then flip and grill until the 'shell' is charred. Maybe give em another swipe of oil. DE-lish.

Today's offering... with pork chops, 50 little neck clams done on the grill in a pan and corn on cob... I'm still on vacation!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
grillzuke.JPG (66.9 KB, 56 views)
Old 07-17-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

You can always let them get really big and use them for jackolanterns in the fall.
They are called spookinis.

Getting ready to go kayaking.
Incredibly beautiful day here!
Old 07-17-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Looks good LB

I reckon all staff must have a sense of humour working in a hospital Tetra. The comic potential is limitless

Still on the last gasp of daylight here, weather wise it has not been a good day at all but the last few hours the clouds lifted and it turned into a fine evening

Runner up again at Crazy golf but there were more players this time so i'm on an upward curve (aren't I?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20150717_194740.jpg (30.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 07-17-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Glad to be here on the Sober Bus. I have a very heavy heart today and would really like to not feel this way but I know drinking is not an option. The only way to deal with feelings is to actually feel them and move through this. There is a farmer's market in town tonight but I don't trust myself as it is smack dab among a few different bars. I am super sad and super squirrely so staying in is the best decision and checking in here
Old 07-17-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

I'm on the bus yall. I'll be riding quietly in the back this weekend.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sorry you are feeling low Soberclover - i'm glad your not drinking because of it

Welcome to the sober bus tambdy

Old 07-17-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post

My AV's track record is perfect - everything it has ever told me has been a lie.
Well said and oh so true!
Old 07-17-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Sao....your golf game is improving! Congrats! I predict first place next week?!? nice pic, too!

(((Soberclover))) I'm sorry you're feeling so down. We're here to listen if you want to talk about it. Stick close to us tonight and we'll get through it together.

GS...everything ok today?

Squash looks good, Brain.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
Glad to be here on the Sober Bus. I have a very heavy heart today and would really like to not feel this way but I know drinking is not an option. The only way to deal with feelings is to actually feel them and move through this. There is a farmer's market in town tonight but I don't trust myself as it is smack dab among a few different bars. I am super sad and super squirrely so staying in is the best decision and checking in here
Hey SC.... You were on my mind. Good to see you.

Yes today feels terrible. But put yourself in tomorrow mornings mind. You will thank yourself for not drinking. The pain might still be there. But you will sort things differently. With a clear mind.

I know the farmers market you are talking about. Buy something fresh for yourself. Maybe pickled dilly beans?

(((Hugs)))

Ken
Old 07-17-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

wow, I went shopping today and in the pickled pepper aisle I saw pickled dilly beans!
First thing I thought of was, I have a few dozen mason jars and lids, I have over a dozen bean plants. Alls I need is a dilly of a recipe!

I also picked up a jar of okra! thems are good too.

Hope you feel better SC. Find me a dilly bean recipe!
Old 07-17-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Crisp Pickled Green Beans Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Old 07-17-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Successful sober Friday under the belt and everything went acording to plan. We cooked dinner and watched a movie....The hangover of all things. I bought some sparkling water for myself and asked her what to drink. She chose a soft drink. It wouldn't have mattered if she had of chosen wine as I was prepared for that....the world's not going to stop drinking alcohol just because I have and that's fine. But the soft drink was better...

Saturday I will encounter a challenge. A newish friend wants me to go out. He does drink alcohol and smoke weed, but not to mental levels. However, the alcohol is not what we have in common. We belong to a club that I was going to while concentrating more on building a social life....I haven't been this month as I was on a blitz. So we do have something in common, well two things actually. So it's not someone I met while on the drink or neither a drinking buddy. But he will be drinking. My plan is this: I will go out and I won't drink. I will say out straight "nah I don't drink" (I drank with them one time....so I will have to add "that was just a once off and it made my sick. It's not for me". His reaction will determine if we will remain friends. I don't think there will be a negative reaction from him, but if there is I walk. As I've stated this is my reality. He's a guest in my reality. But as we have two things in common....two common goals...I'm 90% sure that there won't be a problem.

I'm starting Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Alcohol tomorrow, to stay in the right frame of mind. It kind of makes you look at drinking as pointless, which seen as it's not safe for me to consume alcohol, takes the social pressure off a lot if I see it as pointless. It's funny as I remember coming across a few people when I was growing up who didn't drink and there reason was "I don't see the point".

It sounds rather simplistic "make a decision and never doubt your decision" This is after he removes the "brainwashing" of alcohol and the alcohol industry and explains the addiction cycle.

Is this similar to Rational Recovery? I read a little about it and plan on reading the book after reading Carr's. I think Rational Recovery explains that you make the decision with the rational part of your brain.....which I've done countless times.....but then the survival part of your brain...the beast....craves and tries to send out messages to get you to consume your poison/pleasure. The trick is to recognise it for what it is (the AV), tell it to be quiet and remind yourself that you've made the decision with the rational part of your brain. I read a little about it while fighting sleep....but this is the little that I picked up....
Old 07-17-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Saturday morning here, hi all! Going to spend the day with family today, it's winter here so I think we might snuggle up on the couch with a bunch of movies and hot drinks and might pick up some desserts from the local bakery. Will be nice to relax I think
Love reading what you're all up to
Old 07-17-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!!

Taking it easy on my Friday night, no work tomorrow morning, been catching up on all the sport highlights, golf, cricket, all the soccer transfer news!!

Gotta love the 70s, the kids these days don't know what music is!!

Old 07-17-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Ahhhhh. One of my favorite artists. Saw him in concert in Chicago in about 82 (when I was but a child). Great concert. I have most of his albums (yes, albums, those big black things) and when I need some cheering up they are my first choice.