Notices

Stay sober this weekend July 17th until...

Old 07-17-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
If anyone was wondering what it's like back on the other side - it still sucks. Don't bother finding out for yourself.
Sorry you had that misadventure Wednesday....for what it's worth, reading statements like above do help me sometimes. I spent a lot of time by myself on the Manhattan streets and walking the Highline yesterday. I don't know how many bars I passed or how many places had iced beer near the door. The subway advertises alcohol delivery with the slogan 'because your spirits need lifting'. For a few moments I thought about grabbing a drink and 'relaxing' a bit to people watch. It takes a little more effort to drink back home in suburbia, easier to insulate myself.

I guess this southern guy is getting all sophisticated. We saw the musical 'wicked' and it was great! I start my days drinking coffee from a little cup about the size of a thimble, and All the honking doesn't make me flinch anymore.

One of my favorite places has been St. Patrick's cathedral. I've always wanted to see the architecture of a place like that and was not disappointed.

Happy Friday all.

Last edited by Mark1014; 07-18-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Glad you are back, Non.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brynn View Post

Going to grad school was one of those things I used to talk about at the bar with the other drunks. We would sit there for hours talking about how smart we were and what we were 'going' to do. Of course, none of us ever did anything except sit at the same bar every single day of the week for hours on end making grandiose plans. When I drive by my old bar I see those same cars in the lot and it makes me so grateful that I found a way to quit drinking.
This is a familiar scene to me. Over the years I just fell into the rut of working a job because it was the thing to do... Sux starting over at 56. All of those ideas and dreams that were hidden behind the bottles of life.

BigS - how about "HOOCHIE MAMA!"

Congrats on 5 years nefer...

Tetra, glad you are appreciated by your work mates. Make the most of it and enjoy. Use this experience to move forward to the next one.

Very busy thread. Glad to see everyone. So much to comment on. Funny thing, this morning I was thinking about how much of a crab is useful to eat and how much is waste. Then I see Olive's post about having already cleaned a few. Thinking about an overnight trip to do some crabbing near the Jersey Shore. And maybe wet a line for some flounder...

Keep up the good work peoples.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

well it looks like a double quote of Brynn's drinking melancholy days...

NONS! Sorry to hear to took a step back. But here it's one step back 10,000 steps forward.

What else,,, it's all happening so fast on the weekenders lately.
Mark, go see Jersey Boys at the August Wilson theater - well worth it!
Old 07-17-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

I am joining the bus on an alcohol-free weekend. Going to a music festival, so I know my stress levels will be higher, but i'm committed to not drinking and I have a list prepared for when I may get stressed out (i.e.: relaxation breathing, walking away, etc.). I know I can do this
Old 07-17-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Non ,
i used to be mean when i drank whiskey .. i wasn't a bundle of laughs when i was drinking anything else looking back on it .
When i read about Billy Connolly the comedian giving up, his reason to stop there and then was because he found nasty stuff coming out of his mouth .

Dealing with resentments is part of how i keep myself a long way from that dangerous and tenuous place when the question to drink or not to drink seems to manifest itself in my mind ..

glad you back being sane listening to the logic brain

m
Old 07-17-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Happy Friday morning!
Welcome newcomers -
Congratulations brynn! You got through the beginning of the process-the gre is really hard.
nons...sorry to hear you drank, but glad to hear you are back and that it was a one time thing. Get back in the saddle and move forward.
Ruby! I'm so glad to hear that your hair came out good and that you Are having some YOU time. You deserve lots of pampering.
mls...I hope you are doing some fun things. Freedom is something we shouldn't take for granted.
Ok...off to walk the doggies.
See you all later.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Hey non,

Glad you are back with us. You're posts are a big help to others on here. Being honest about a relapse is healthy, for you and others. I also developed a mean streak when intoxicated. I think I have offended and hurt most people I know. I have lost a lot of friends.

It's the alcohol that is mean and nasty. Everything about it - it destroys people, families, communities.

One of the things helping me not to relapse so far is that I view it as an act of rebellion and dissent. I'm angry with alcohol and always will be.

B
Old 07-17-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. I slept in until 9:00! Unheard of. I'm trying to wake up.

Bernie, your weekend sounds lovely except for the Mr. B drinking part. It's going to be hot out here. A cool lake and sandy beach. Ah.

Non, I'm glad to see you back. Thanks for the reminder that it still isn't fun.

Zoo trip cancelled per sister in law. Too hot. 90 at 9:00. We'll meet up later.

Time to go interact with family. Daughter whining to be entertained. So, time to put on my dancing shoes
Old 07-17-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Morning/Afternoon/Evening, my Weekender buddies.
It's going to be a hotttt weekend here. Working on my list to keep me focused and busy this weekend. Will attempt the beach for a few hours both days, two yoga classes on Saturday, then definitely hitting up the library to brush up on "To Kill a Mockingbird" before starting Harper Lee's new book.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Good morning y'all!

(((Non)))....I drank a few months ago, too....just one day....and yeah, it's still as bad as I remember it being. Glad you're back. You're someone here I really respect and your posts have helped me so much over the past eight months. None of that changes. You're still a pillar in this community.

Have a great day everyone!
Serenity Now!
Old 07-17-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by AutumnWillow View Post
I am joining the bus on an alcohol-free weekend. Going to a music festival, so I know my stress levels will be higher, but i'm committed to not drinking and I have a list prepared for when I may get stressed out (i.e.: relaxation breathing, walking away, etc.). I know I can do this
Hey AutumnWillow!!!! Welcome to the weekender! I love you have your plan ready to go. Good for you!

We move quick around here but jump in and share what's going on for you.

Ken
Old 07-17-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Kids are washing my car. At least it's keeping them cool and occupied. And now I'm all wet.

Behan, have a safe trip. I'm feeling restless. I've got so much to do today and don't feel like doing any of it. Maybe I should eat breakfast and read my newspaper.

Lilymarie, the beach does sound good so long as they are letting us back in the water.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Geez, Nons, sorry about the setback. Glad to see you're back and looking forward. For some of us, guilt and depression can really kick in after that kind of thing - I'd reckon its best to keep your eyes on the present. You'll be okay, man! And I agree with others who have said that reminders like that are helpful. Every so often, I get a case of the "what ifs". Seems to spiral. Over a year ago last April I almost caved...I'll keep your words in mind. Thanks again for sharing that, we have your back, buddy.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Welcome, KeryJames. What's up for you this weekend? Any activities planned, or just taking it easy?

For the first time in 2 years I was "mildly scolded" at work today. The Internet in my damn condo went out for like 30 minutes...right when I was supposed to be online answering phones to backup some people who weren't working today. Why did the Internet go out? Because these old retired farts who live in my complex keep ******* up their Internet and then complain to management that the Internet doesn't work, so management disables the system and tinkers with it. Sucks that my work performance takes a hit because some old geezer wants to watch Netflix next door. Grrrr. Serenity now, serenity now...

Another ticked box for a reason to move to my own place, free of being attached to a community Internet system. The only young neighbors are on the other side in the townhouse next door, and they smoke weed outside on the weekends. Enough is enough with this place! Of course, I'm going to need to find a new place. With a fireplace. Rooftop terrace. Home office. Great view. Washer and dryer....egads, the list goes on! Why can't life be perfect? Oh yeah. Cause it's not.

Regardless, tomorrow's another day. Looking forward to ending the week strong. Off to watch some Netflix myself (which I do AFTER 7pm like a normal person).

Thanks! Only out of bed since 4.30pm!!!!! Shouldn't be a surprise as I was awake for about 50 hours...

I have a meeting with a girl now. I was seeing her for a few months a few months ago. When she met me I was teetotal and she just saw me as someone who was into health and fitness and didn't drink alcohol. The times I cooked her dinner I would buy wine for her and sparkling water or juice for me...no issues at all as I was comfortable in my choice. Then I did drink in a completely different situation (I know why) and I kind of ended it in a bad way...drunkingly...

We crossed paths, I invited her to meet up. I want to apologise, which she'll be shocked with and then invite her back into my reality....

I feel good today, I read up a little on rational recovery (I didn't know before that's where the AV talk came from) and it seems to be in conjunction with my way of thinking. 'The Beast' I used to feel was like Tyler Durden from Fight Club. Going out and doing stuff while I (Edward Norten) Character, was 'asleep' (in a black out)..........I watched an Allen Carr video last night too.....

Anyway, I better go......I'll definitely be staying sober today.

....and so will you all!!!!!!!!

buen dia!!!
Old 07-17-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Bump!
Old 07-17-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Evening everyone,

Upset to hear about your blip Nons but it took character to post about it straight away. Glad your back on the Sober Express

After I messed up last night's dinner and not having been to the supermarket I decided to waft over to an excellent cafe in next doorDalston called Tina We Salute You, it always has some amazing artwork on show

Normally after an aggravating situation like the one I had at work yesterday I would have just drunk myself senseless last night and the been resentful and hungover all day today. Fortunately things have changed a bit in the last six months.

This time I made my self feel better by being sarcastic all morning to the 3 people concerned before flouncing off unnecessarily to a Trade show in the afternoon.

There may be a world-wide anti Saoutchik conspiracy out there but i'm not done yet

Friday evening can mean only one thing - yup it's crazy golf again later

Last edited by saoutchik; 07-17-2015 at 11:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-17-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

I mentioned to Mrs LB that I had some really tough times on our trip wanting to have a beer. She said she knows and is very proud of me that I was able to hold it together.
She told me that even though she was not an 'alcoholic' she also struggled with wanting to have a glass of wine in the evenings. But she doesn't drink now because of me. My AV was screaming at me for several days.

One more of the "firsts" checked off. Camping without drinking.

Washed jeep and car, cut part of grass. More to do. I guess break is over.

I appreciate nonsensical for posting about drinking. We are never safe. Sometimes it takes an unfortunate incident from someone else to put us back on high alert. Thanks nons.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Topic.... I get frustrated when stopped at a light and the person in front is not over the "plate". Friends often think I am nuts and the disputed me that there is a plate that one must be over to make lights change by knowing a car is present.

I won that battle today with proof.

Please when you pull up to a light. Pull forward enough to trigger the light. Especially left turn signals. Aggrrrhhh!!!

Old 07-17-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Hang on!

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Topic.... I get frustrated when stopped at a light and the person in front is not over the "plate". Friends often think I am nuts and the disputed me that there is a plate that one must be over to make lights change by knowing a car is present. [...]

Here's another little fact: in some areas with busy intersections you may not get a turn arrow until traffic in the turn lane backs up a bit. There will be two sensors - one at the stop line, and another a few cars back. If there are only one or two cars at the light it might not trigger a left turn arrow. But if the second sensor is triggered it senses that there are at least 4 cars there and gives a turn arrow. So if you approach an intersection with a single car at the stop line at the red, and you notice a second loop further back, stop 2-3 cars back for a moment, then slowly pull forward before the light turns. You will likely get a left turn arrow.

As a two-wheeled motorist I frequently encounter sensors that won't pick up bikes because they aren't tuned right. Sometimes putting down the sidestand or center stand helps. Usually not. So we treat these like a faulty signal and proceed with caution once the intersection is clear. Most state laws allow this.

Back to Off-topic: RAIN!!! Argh! Someone in California please pray harder for rain. Take it! We're drowning here in the midwest. The grass is super tall yet the yard is still squishy with mud. And we just had another short drenching for good measure. PLEASE STOP RAINING !! No stress, but I wish the Morton's Girl would put away her umbrella for a few weeks.

And happy Sober Friday everyone. This will be a great weekend for just chill out. Here's to a clear head.