Notices

Stay sober this weekend July 17th until...

Old 07-21-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

good morning for real here now...

I gathered what's left of trash and took it out, and the weeds I pulled yesterday also made it to the curb - two containers and it's not even a dent in the mess of growth out back...
picked some peas yesterday too - just a small handful, they are hanging on but really don't like the heat and sun, I trimmed zuchinni bushes and need to remove more leaves - that and the pumpkin plants that seem to have laid claim to everything. The canteloupe plants have lots of blossoms but no fruit. The broccoli seeds I planted indicate a few leafy plants that are no more than weeds at this point. I'm 'OH' for forever on broccoli. I just planted them to appease the wife and so she didn't try tp plant something else there. Yesterday she told me I am in charge of the garden this year - totally! That means the torch and 20lb bottle of gas are soon to make a sweep of the area. Forget pulling weeds and unwanted vines that have taken over, no round up or other weed control. Charge a fire hose and set the place ablaze! I told her that her mums are going to be lost in the fire. She cried don't touch my mums. Well I think there are mums among the weeds somewhere. And if you think you can just put something in the ground and forget it forever, you are sorely mistaken. Ask Ruby, she knows all about keeping a flower garden. It's not like that infomercial, set it and forget it. I'm almost ready to call in the cement trucks and get 10 gallons of green paint...
Old 07-21-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

woops, too late to edit,

here's a song

Old 07-21-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Glad your better Sao!

Either my contacts are in the wrong eyes or my prescription has changed dramatically overnight. Back soon to re-read everything properly.

Oh...good morning y'all!
Xoxo
Old 07-21-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Good morning! I love waking up with you all. I live alone, but not really because I have 3 dogs that keep me company. And you guys!
Sao, I'm glad you are feeling better. I always feel better after I go to the dr. Just being told that i will live helps.So maybe the girl who recommended the Epro had the same effect. I think sometimes I get afraid that I have something terrible, and it makes me feel worse. Sometimes the best cure is rest.
easy day at work today. Lunch with a friend. Should be a great day.
It's always a great day to be sober.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:26 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Trachymes, i'm just a guy with a hobby...

Ruby, the main ingredient seems to be something called Lopermide hydrochloride, whatever it is it worked

I have just been to the supermarket, amongst other things I was going to buy some bluberries. I remembered the one LBrain showed us and saw the small, mean looking shrink wrapped thing and thought nah! Get some nice ones down Red Market later

There was a guy in there, businessman in a suit, about my age - he was wearing the worst wig I have ever seen, it was kind of annoying because I couldn't stop sneaking glances. In the end I saw two girls sniggering as well, I think it was the same reason. V weird as he didn't look like he couldn't afford a better one

I notice from the trade mags that the two big German discount supermarkets, Aldi and Lidl are to make a serious effort at breaking into the US retail market. Anyone tried them yet?
Old 07-21-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Ha ha - she never went as far as saying I will live HaF but i'm hopeful
Old 07-21-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

just saved 6 bux! went to home depot in a hurry to get a filter for central air - the thing is running all the time. forgot wallet. decided to look online for same filter - arriving tomorrow 6 dollars cheaper than HD including shipping, and I didn't use the gas to drive back. When being a dummy is a win sometimes...

mrs didn't work last night and she just passed me wearing gloves to pull weeds.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

The wig story had me sniggering too, Sao. I find bald or shaved off far more attractive than an I'll fitting fur piece. Patrick Stewart does it well. I saw him with hair when he was acting in I, Claudius a zillion years ago. Looks better now.

There are Aldi stores here, seemingly all over the place, but I don't shop there. I went once but wasn't impressed. And for fresh vegetables, fruit and meat I far prefer my local, independent grocery. They've been in business for 50 years which seems like a long time when applied to a shop, but not to this 50 year old. My store is clean, carries super produce and meat and hires neighborhood people.

I have to focus on work for a bit. Mr. Ruby and his hangover, shame and nagging calls from work wondering where he is are good reminders why I'm grateful I'm sober.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Sao ~

Your knowledgeable Pharm Gal gave you good ole 'Immodium' [Trade Name]. The First World cure favored by Third World Travelers everywhere. A.k.a. 'Kaopectate'.

- Montezuma's Revenge.com -

Below is a lil Chemist Theme Music for ya!-)

My interest in this topic stems from getting the Trots one time in blazing hot Taiwan. Mebbe this is a re-Post. Anyhoo, I had to boil Water in my Hotel Tea/Coffee Pot. Let it cool. Refill lil Water Bottles, and slam them into my Laptop Bag to stay hydrated while tooling about seeing High Tech Customers. Not fun. You do not drink Tap Water there. My Personal Nightmare of being sick on a Long Haul Flight never materialized, and I'm perpetually grateful for that. Especially if Turbulence caused you to stay belted into your Seat.

An Office Assistant ran out and got me some vile lil 'BB'-shaped Pellets that smelled exactly like the Creosote on the bottom of a Pier. I now suspect it was the usual Charcoal-based approach. All it did was cause some wicked Burps. Timeline-wise, I think some polluted Seafood got me that time, and I was pretty careful about such stuff. If it's a Biz Dinner that gets ya, whatcha gonna do?

Later, we drove in some back Road entrance to see a Synchrotron Customer. The memorable Sign - one of those classics composed of Chinese Menu 'English' - said: 'Small Pee Pee Industrial Park'. I won't disclose if I felt at Home there or not.

Snagged the last 2015 Model of this loaded Trailer linked below on the Lot yesterday. A great Sale starting price, and had some 'free' Options thrown. Sales Tax rates at our County Address are ~1/3rd of City Sales Tax. Big Savings there. Electric Tongue Jack. Wheel Chocks. 2 over-sized Batteries so I can slam on a much larger Solar Panel to replace the one on there, and 'Boondock' off-Grid for long periods. Still doing Recon on where our Maiden 'Camping' Voyage should be. Fishing likely will be involved, besides Hiking. Kayaks are in our future...

Sober with Disposable Income beats Hammered with Disposable Income, fo sho.

- Nash 23d Trailer Brochure -

- 'Young Blood' ~ The Coasters -
Old 07-21-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

I wasn't a member over the weekend so I couldn't join the challenge, but I'm up for staying sober today
Old 07-21-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Mesa, congrats on your new trailer

Well, I'm off to the oral surgeon for a "touching base" appointment today, mostly to get the insurance all squared away. I'll drive an hour away and park in the huge parking deck, and make my way through the enormous building. Ugh. Not fun. Actually, quite a stressor for me.

Can't wait to get this behind me.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations Ron (1st post too!) Welcome to SR and welcome to the weekender thread wich as you can tell stretches the weekend to its limits

Ruby, your right about Patrick Stewart, he was an old looking 20something but he has aged little since

Mesa that trailer looks better than my flat!

Presumably you don't have the Nash logo plastered all over it
Old 07-21-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Send me some positivity, people. Cause I'm going to be in the city where I did a lot of crazy drinking. Being there will be trigger enough. I'm in no danger of doing it, but whenever I go back there the memories surface, ya know
Old 07-21-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Welcome, Ron. Never too late to jump on the bus.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Welcome Ron!

Sending you hugs and positive vibes hippo! Try and distract yourself....think about some of Mesa and Brains music videos...or the creepy romper room lady!

Ruby....I so hear you! One look at my man this morning...on the verge of puking and bleary eyed getting ready for work is a great deterrent to drinking!

We've got Aldi here. They're everywhere but I've never been. I'm a Sprouts or Whole Foods girl and shop the farmers market for veggies and local honey, cheese, eggs, etc...guess I should try it and maybe save some $$$.

So, contacts were in the correct eyes....guess I'm going blind faster than I thought. Time for the eye dr I guess....$$$. All my disposable income seems to end up in the hands of drs lately. Crud.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

SoberP ~

No Grand Insights from me on your pending Travel.

I 'force' new experiences on myself. I used to park every day in the same Dog Park Lot where I'd toke on my always-present 'Handle' of Vodka. Sans Vodka, I hardly give that same location any thought. Our local Market here out West is adjacent to a new, larger Liquor Store. I'd buy a few Shooters, and pound them 'discretely' while Da Wife was in the Store. Then, I'd do the 5+ hour drive East to the former City House w/BAC undetermined. Hey, when I'm a DumbAzz, I do it full tilt. I don't mess around.

Pick a few 'safe' spots, and re-experience them Sober. It's a trip! Find some new spots, too. For me, this discipline kinda wipes clean the old Hard Drive of Hammered Memories, and rewrites my mental Disc over those former experiences.

Otherwise, without this type of 'forced rewrite' of places while now Sober, the old Memories are the default ones; the ones that can trigger. I stare down my AV straight away while thinking: 'C'mon, MoFo. You think you can jack me around? Try it! You just don't know who you're screwing with'. I was bullied in Middle School, and view my AV as just another Bully I refuse to capitulate to.

Then, this moment quickly passes, and I go on with Life while Sober; feeling a sense of triumph that I own these situations.

Either you own Fear, or it owns you.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Brynn, I will try and keep those in mind for some laughs

Mesa, I hear ya. I actually force myself into new experiences as well. This trip to the old city is no biggie really, but I guess I find myself knee deep and wading in those memories by default, yeah. Guess it's my mind just working things out maybe. This place sucks as far as parking, and so the stress from that alone can weaken me a bit. Not sure if I'll have time to find a safe spot to make some new memories, lol. Guess I could stop at a park. That's an idea. I bet I'll be ready to get the heck outta Dodge when the appt is over.

Oh! Just realized - I could actually stop by the little park where I was married We were married smack in the middle of downtown on a little patch of green with a big water fountain in the middle - surrounded by skyscrapers. I liked the juxtaposition It was magical at twilight.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

- Duplicate Post somehow -
Old 07-21-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You are the new SOBERpotamus. It shouldn't hold any fears for you.

Good luck anyway
Old 07-21-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Yes, you are the new SOBER potamus. My thoughts are with you on your trip and even if you don't have a bus charm dangling from your wrist, we are still with you.

Brynn, I never seem to catch a break either, money wise. Water bill is due this month and I also need new glasses. Sigh. And dealing with sodden men, booze soaked "no, I'm not drunk" guys is a pain in the azz as Mesa would say. Why did I think I was attractive like that?

My mother is more worried about the new sitter than I am. I want to shake her. She did tell me that a local radio personality who suddenly disappeared off the air citing "personal issues" confirmed that he's an alcoholic. Currently in treatment following hospitalization. Wasn't eating and had been drinking all his calories. Sounds familiar. He's worried about a movie presentation in August that he's scheduled to present at but at which many will be drinking. In big SR suggestions, "don't go this year! Too new in sobriety".

Welcome Ron to SR! The weekend thread went rogue a while back and we continue to post throughout the week until the next thread starts Thursday mornings.