Notices

Stay sober this weekend July 17th until...

Old 07-18-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
Tonight I turned off the TV and phone. I played with my pet and I forgot the simple pleasure of a really good book.

Life is sweeter with books and bunnies

But I can't put it down and I'm a bit scared now.
You can't put the bunny down? Put the rabbit down Tetra

Are you reading John Connolly? The best Irish author...whose Charlie Parker private detective stories take place in the US....highly recommended....he knocks the booze on the head from the first book....Every Dead Thing.....then must find redemption! and revenge of course....
Old 07-18-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! I missed a page in there earlier today. Tetra, the breakfast looks good!

I'm cooling on the back porch. Kids in bed. All in all, a decent day.

Sao, the sign and the "bustafarians" made me laugh. I hope you were well behaved.

Brynn, Mr. Ruby has pointed out to me too many times to count that HE'S worked the steps while I haven't. But he's apparently not adhering to step one and needs a refresher. We are powerless over alcohol.

No lobster or crab here but I do like them both. My brother was showing us pics from his trip. He took pictures of a food vendor in Beijing. Scorpion, millipede or starfish kebabs anyone? Not my choice for a source of protein.

I'm trying to find my broom and dustpan. Argh. I'll go switch out the laundry instead. Sigh. Oh, and feed the cats before they start gnawing on me
Old 07-18-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

hello peeps...

I decided to take an afternoon nap. Woke up at around 9. Cooked chicken legs on the grill and zuchinni, baked potato. Made coffee and prepared 'breakfast' and lunch with black beans.
I'm on night shift tonight. House organizing and kitchen cleaning. Neighbors are having a thing outside. I realize I have very few friends. And because I don't drink it seems people are afraid or something. Never been a fan of facebook or that stuff, but I ran into an old workmate today and he told me facebook is where it's at. People ask about me all the time - but no-one calls.

My impression of impressionist art and art in general is this. If I as a no name artist submitted my first work of art and it was an exact duplicate of VG's Starry Night, assuming it was never done before, I'd be laughed off the block. The art snobbery dedicates pages explaining the painting and others. I think that some second grade children finger paintings would receive high acclaim if they were done by famous artists of the 19th century. But I don't have to drink over it now do I.
Hope y'all are handling the heat in the US. It's still hot here, hot and humid. One thing I discovered is that if you have ceiling fans, run them on low pushing down along with the AC. It makes an incredible difference. I actually lowered my thermostat to 76 today. Quite comfortable I must say.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

LBrain, we do that too, keep it around 76 or 77 and have the ceiling fans going. It does work well.

Oh, and I dropped FB over three years ago. I don't regret it one bit
Old 07-18-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Cool I want a bus charm!
Trying to roast a duck in the oven for the first time. We shall see.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Happy sober weekend everyone. I am popping in to report I have had now had 3 years of sober weekends! Would not be able to say that without SR and so many wonderful people here. Wonderful support here
Old 07-18-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Livin' Large here tonight in the new/old Retirement House. 'Old' because it's been finished for several years. Bought this 80 Acres of Mesa-top 15 years ago, and beat on this House myself p/t for 12 years.

World O'Boxes abound, but the House was already 'populated'. The Movers packed full the oversized Single Car Garage I built after the House to keep safe Da Wife's Passat [now Ford 'Escape']. So, we'll plod through our 3 Houses of Guano we've collected over the years. Down to 2 Houses now; the Mountain one is empty.

Kinda hot today, but I'm now outside in mandatory Sweatshirt. Cool and lovely here at ~6,150'. Wild Turkeys around. Buffalo and Elk next door. All kinda Birds. And, a few of the Redneckamus JackedupTruckadoos.

Went out for Reuben Sandwiches today at a lil Joint that some Chicago Transplants opened. Killer Sandwiches. The Movers busted A, and had the job done in ~2 hours. I tipped them all up front, and got superb Service from them in assembling the Beds I built. Couldn't find my Tools to save me, but finally did.

In the Wild & Wacky World Of Semiconductor Manufacturing [and elsewhere], there's this Concept of 'Successive Approximation'. You have a Goal, and you continuously halve the distance to that Goal in successive, incremental steps. Semiconductors strive for 100% perfection in Product Output. They hit 99.9999% in many Processes. This is why IC Chips and Flat Screen TVs drop in price, with increasing Performance. There might be ~1.5 Million Pixels in a Flat Screen TV. Every one has to be perfect, or the resulting black spot in the Display will stand out like crazy. We used to talk about '3 Nines' or '4 Nines', with the idea that 99% before the Decimal Point was a given. So, was a Semiconductor Process at xx.999% or xx.9999% Yield Rate?

My point, and I do have one, is that Successive Approximation can apply to Sober Situations. I don't necessarily hit '4 Nines' in my Sobriety, but I don't Drink. Ever. Mebbe the AV or urge never completely disappears, but I don't care about that. Do I get mostly-effortlessly through situations, or not? Moving Houses is rated in the 'Top 10' of Life Stressors, behind losing a Parent; a Spouse; a Pet; a Job; and so on. Staying Sober this move has been mostly a non-issue, really.

I can't imagine fuming Scotch or Vodka, and helping tape up Moving Boxes. Or planning the endless details in prepping and selling our City House. Or, blacking out, and not getting essential Guano done. Or, navigating around the BS of RealtorZilla.

If I could invent a Pill to slip to Noobs and effortlessly fast-forward them to this point in Sobriety, you'd best believe I would. It's best described as when, in 'The Wizard Of Oz', the World goes from Black & White to Technicolor.

One very neat aspect is that I don't 'fight' anymore. There's no wistfulness in wanting to be hammered again to Blackout. I stood up after Decades, and got up and out of my Wheelchair to simply walk away. And, I would want to go back to my prior existence just why now, and miss the Sober view below out our Kitchen Window?

In my own 'Successive Approximation', I'm shy of perfection. But, that does me just fine. A State Of Being I highly recommend achieving by any means necessary.

- 'Down On The Farm' ~ Little Feat ~ Live -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sunset South_3_800.jpg (70.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-18-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  
...holds the key

So much wisdom on this thread! Along with practical household tips, book and movie suggestions, lovely photos, interesting recipes, and fellow bird watchers.....which reminds me, where's Bimini??
Xoxo
Old 07-18-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

I feel like the lady from the very, very old now television show "romper room." I see Della and Mesa and ...." while looking in my magic mirror. All names at the bottom of the thread.

The tips are super, Brynn. I get to "see" and share things I'd never see when I was drinking. Have a good night everyone. Late here but the second shift will be coming along soon.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Ruby2, That was Miss Nancy! I am showing my age now..
Old 07-18-2015, 09:24 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Days of Wine and Roses is another great one...jack lemon and Lee remick. Powerful AA messages.
Ok...enough movies for one night.
see you all in the morning.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:46 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday everyone!
Old 07-18-2015, 10:56 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone,

Raining here and the canal towpath is slippery so my jog which is not very quick at the best of times turned into a 20 minute plod. I'm a long way shy of perfection but I was the only one running this morning

Nice Saturdays followed by not so nice Sundays have been something of a pattern recently and suits me fine as Sundays is Lancia day

Coffee, eggs, cereal and OJ for breakfast
Old 07-19-2015, 02:17 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by Trees39 View Post
Bought my bus charm today. I love this bus.

I read before that to build resilience you must build connections from you to others. It's feeling isolated that can make us feel less able to tackle the daily challenge of life.

Take some time to think about how much time you spend building strong good connections. You gotta give to get and it will make you braver.
Love this!!!!! Thank you trees!

That's why even though I have been sober a while I decided to start SMART meetings. I feel I need connections beyond what I have now. I use SR everyday. These weekend threads are a god send for me. The people that are here are amazing and I care very much for each of you.

Thanks sober weekender team!

Wow that's two that got bus charms. That's so freaking cool.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
Happy sober weekend everyone. I am popping in to report I have had now had 3 years of sober weekends! Would not be able to say that without SR and so many wonderful people here. Wonderful support here
Whoa!!!!! You rock! Soo good to see you Free Fall!!!! It's been three years!

You always provided me with the best of support. Thank you!

Ken
Old 07-19-2015, 02:37 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Livin' Large here tonight in the new/old Retirement House. 'Old' because it's been finished for several years. Bought this 80 Acres of Mesa-top 15 years ago, and beat on this House myself p/t for 12 years.

World O'Boxes abound, but the House was already 'populated'. The Movers packed full the oversized Single Car Garage I built after the House to keep safe Da Wife's Passat [now Ford 'Escape']. So, we'll plod through our 3 Houses of Guano we've collected over the years. Down to 2 Houses now; the Mountain one is empty.

Kinda hot today, but I'm now outside in mandatory Sweatshirt. Cool and lovely here at ~6,150'. Wild Turkeys around. Buffalo and Elk next door. All kinda Birds. And, a few of the Redneckamus JackedupTruckadoos.

Went out for Reuben Sandwiches today at a lil Joint that some Chicago Transplants opened. Killer Sandwiches. The Movers busted A, and had the job done in ~2 hours. I tipped them all up front, and got superb Service from them in assembling the Beds I built. Couldn't find my Tools to save me, but finally did.

In the Wild & Wacky World Of Semiconductor Manufacturing [and elsewhere], there's this Concept of 'Successive Approximation'. You have a Goal, and you continuously halve the distance to that Goal in successive, incremental steps. Semiconductors strive for 100% perfection in Product Output. They hit 99.9999% in many Processes. This is why IC Chips and Flat Screen TVs drop in price, with increasing Performance. There might be ~1.5 Million Pixels in a Flat Screen TV. Every one has to be perfect, or the resulting black spot in the Display will stand out like crazy. We used to talk about '3 Nines' or '4 Nines', with the idea that 99% before the Decimal Point was a given. So, was a Semiconductor Process at xx.999% or xx.9999% Yield Rate?

My point, and I do have one, is that Successive Approximation can apply to Sober Situations. I don't necessarily hit '4 Nines' in my Sobriety, but I don't Drink. Ever. Mebbe the AV or urge never completely disappears, but I don't care about that. Do I get mostly-effortlessly through situations, or not? Moving Houses is rated in the 'Top 10' of Life Stressors, behind losing a Parent; a Spouse; a Pet; a Job; and so on. Staying Sober this move has been mostly a non-issue, really.

I can't imagine fuming Scotch or Vodka, and helping tape up Moving Boxes. Or planning the endless details in prepping and selling our City House. Or, blacking out, and not getting essential Guano done. Or, navigating around the BS of RealtorZilla.

If I could invent a Pill to slip to Noobs and effortlessly fast-forward them to this point in Sobriety, you'd best believe I would. It's best described as when, in 'The Wizard Of Oz', the World goes from Black & White to Technicolor.

One very neat aspect is that I don't 'fight' anymore. There's no wistfulness in wanting to be hammered again to Blackout. I stood up after Decades, and got up and out of my Wheelchair to simply walk away. And, I would want to go back to my prior existence just why now, and miss the Sober view below out our Kitchen Window?

In my own 'Successive Approximation', I'm shy of perfection. But, that does me just fine. A State Of Being I highly recommend achieving by any means necessary.

- 'Down On The Farm' ~ Little Feat ~ Live -
Very heartfelt and helpful thoughts MM. Thank you!

Ken
Old 07-19-2015, 02:43 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Morning sober team!

Going to be a bit warmer today then it has been but compared to what the rest of the country is experiencing I think I will remain quiet on just how lovely the weather has been here in Maine. But this is why we put up with winters here I suppose.

Today is tall ship day. The parade of ships was amazing yesterday. Want to brave the crowds and try and tour them. I so hate crowds I may forego the chance to walk the plank but we shall see.

Hope everyone is doing well. That you chose to stay sober yesterday. That today will be even brighter with another sober day to draw strength from.

K
Old 07-19-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good Morning All!

We've got a brother-in-law, father-in-law, a niece, and a nephew visiting for the next few days. I have no idea what we're all going to do, but it could be an adventure. I enjoy having young children around. My silliness is so much more appreciated by people under 10. Everyone needs a corny uncle.

What did the 3-legged raccoon say when he walked into the saloon?

"I'm looking for the man who shot my paw!"

I'm yielding four 9s today.

Be well all!
Old 07-19-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

CONGRATS ON 3 YEARS FREEFALL!

Wease, when I was in Halifax for the Tall Ships 2000 I did one of the ferry cruises during the parade. Hopefully it's not windy and they are able to rig the sails. Take a boat ride and get some cool pics.

I had my cheerios with blueberries and yogurt. It may be close to the end of blues here. Reminds me of a secret stash of blueberries up in Maine in Acadia. We hiked a "trail" that went straight up. They even put in iron ladders to get up through the cliffs. We reached a small plateau after the third set of ladders and a rock flat off the trail with an amazing view. We were surrounded by wild blueberries. Most places on the trails and through Acadia the blueberry bushes were picked clean. Here there were many hundreds of ripe and more waiting to ripen. We picked several handfuls and downed them on the spot - suweet little things. Definitely a different flavor than the domestic/farm raised kinds. Much sweeter.
Hike started next to that lake - still more to climb.
All around those bushes are blueberries. Seriously many...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2440.JPG (56.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 07-19-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday all. It's HOT here but you will never hear me complain because I hate winter. Had the grand opening of the new co-op at work last night. Yummy food all made with local organic fruits and veggies. Thank God I don't drink because we had to sit with a woman who caused me a lot of problems at work last week. I may not have been as professional if I had been drinking. Actually there is no may about it. I wouldn't have been as professional if I had been drinking. Catch up on housework today and roasting a chicken. Have a great day all.