Notices

Stay sober this weekend July 17th until...

Old 07-18-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Only in the 60's here. 68 to be exact. A little muggie but the breeze makes it a very nice day.

Supposed to be hot tomorrow. In the 80's.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Oil change done. Brakes done. Went ahead and cleaned my truck out and gave her a bath. Hotter than hades.

Ruby, im digging your food pic. Looks scrumptious!

Wease , nothing better than lobster mac. Im envious that you have fresh lobster just for the asking up there.

To all weekenders, this thread kicks major butt. Im all alone this weekend but this thing makes me feel like im at a party!
Old 07-18-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Mark, is this home security system a waste? I have three door/window sensors, two motion detectors, and the central control panel, smartphone apps, and all that... $45/month. He wants to go down to $20/month and get rid of some of the sensors. Imo, if I'm going to do this right, I plan to buy extra sensors to cover each door and window, you know? Why half a$$ it? That's where I'm coming from anyway. I just hate to half do it. Then again, I'm home most of the time because I work from home. I just feel like if I get the cheaper monthly monitoring with no smartphone app, and fewer sensors ... what's the point? Essentially, I'm paying for the customer service and 24/7 monitoring. We have smash -n- crash, wireless, cellular ... there are no cords for them to cut, there's 24 hr battery backup if they cut the power, and the alarm goes off at the central station if they smash it. So, seems foolproof to me.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
I hope every one is having a good day.

It's pouring rain here. It's like a grey, wet, miserable November day.

At least I had a fancy Saturday breakfast to look forward to

Went to my driving lesson. Things are going well but he keeps telling me to "speed up". I think I'm going fast until I see another driver on my tail.

I'm going to watch a movie and have some cheesecake. Have a good weekend everybody.
I would slaughter that Irish breakfast......

hope it's stopped raining
Old 07-18-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
I think you and I are from the same general region. We are waiting at jfk for flight back home and the weather forecast is blazing hot. Typical though. Gonna be a shock after the cooler weather here.
Mark, you'll more than likely be arriving home to 100F+ temps, lol. It's blazing, sure enough.

Distant thunder here says a storm is approaching, and I am so glad! Rain is much needed to cool things down.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by Charlie117926 View Post
Oil change done. Brakes done. Went ahead and cleaned my truck out and gave her a bath. Hotter than hades.

Ruby, im digging your food pic. Looks scrumptious!

Wease , nothing better than lobster mac. Im envious that you have fresh lobster just for the asking up there.

To all weekenders, this thread kicks major butt. Im all alone this weekend but this thing makes me feel like im at a party!
That's awesome Charlie!!! We have a lot of fun every weekend. I have been facinated by all the sober people can do. And this bunch is a very fun group.

BTW.... My lobster was $6.99 a pound. Lol.... I got two lobsters. Mac and cheese is done and I am off for a bite.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Ha. I was at the grocery this morning and lobsters were 12.99 per pound and they were not maine lobsters. Some kind of carribean lobster. Not to sound like a snob (im far from) but if im paying for lobster its going to be from maine!

Mussels were 3.99 per pound. Fresh from our brothers and sisters to the north. Canada!
Old 07-18-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Brynn ive never been to lake Texoma. Used to go to Lake cypress springs off 30 with my old buddy all the time. Huge drunk fest so I have to avoid that now. You going to do any skiing?

Art how someone can not like crab other than having an allergy is beyond me. When I eat my first bite of snow crab and garlic butter it sends me into a sudden state of flavor extacy. I'm sorry we don't see eye to eye on that
Old 07-18-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I hate fish too...and shellfish yuck! Grosses me out!

GS....I'll be doing some inner tubing and riding the jet ski! Yeah....the lake/boating has always been a drunkfest. I feel ok about going as of now. If I start feeling iffy by next weekend i won't go.

Hippo....hope the rest of your weekend is less stressful. Have you been using your new dishes?

Too hot to do anything outside. Making a big batch of muffins. I might make homemade ice cream, too....peach yum!
Old 07-18-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Hey brynn. Nothing better than homeade ice cream. Its 100 degrees where im at, ohio. My wife cannot stand shell fish. She is out of town with the kids. I can at least cook it inside now. When shes home i have to cook all seafood in the garage on a camping stove or the grill. Ha. So this is a special treat considering the temps. Enjoy the ice cream and muffins
Old 07-18-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
Mark, is this home security system a waste?.

If you feel more safe and secure in your home then it's not a waste. Our home is at the end of a quiet cul de sac with neighbors home most of the time and the neighborhood is gated. The gated thing isn't a complete deterrent but it helps I think. Having said that, if I was away from home very much I'd probably reactivate our service.....and if I ever do, our system needs upgrading.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Quick tip on hot weather and your house. If your AC is having a hard time keeping up with your set temp. Pull your furnace filter 3/4 of the way out till night time. I have dropped 2 degrees today since doing so. It lessens the restricted air flow when the temps are working your HVAC system on overdrive. Just dont forget to slide it back in when the heat wave ends. Of course keeping all the blinds closed helps to. I hate not having the blinds open but on days like this there is no choice
Old 07-18-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Enjoy, Charlie! I have a no seafood cooking policy in my house too! Can't stand the smell!
Old 07-18-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
Hippo....hope the rest of your weekend is less stressful. Have you been using your new dishes?
We did! It was nice. I cleaned off the dining table, set the table, and used the pretty square serving bowl. Felt "different" than with the old dishes
Old 07-18-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Charlie you can come to my house and we can have our own seafood feast. We can eat crab and seafood untill we explode.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Just stopping by to say hi and get caught up on the posts. Currently on day 4. Having some cravings today but am not going to give in. Getting my motivation from all you great people on here. Be safe all. Looking forward to saying day 6 on Monday. Will be the longest I have gone in a very long time.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Well weekenders, en route home from a family vacation to nyc (first time there) partially funded by the approximately 325 dollars per month I've saved since October of last year by not drinking anymore. This trip confirmed for me that I'm a better family guy completely abstaining from alcohol. It also confirmed that I am not very sophisticated in the world of modern art. We went to moma and there were lots of serious looking people gazing at things getting much more meaning out of it than me. Some of it was so wacky that it made me chuckle. I did like The Starry Night painting from the guy that lost an ear. Next trip I'll skip that place and buy more lobster rolls.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Timeforchange18 View Post
Just stopping by to say hi and get caught up on the posts. Currently on day 4. Having some cravings today but am not going to give in. Getting my motivation from all you great people on here. Be safe all. Looking forward to saying day 6 on Monday. Will be the longest I have gone in a very long time.
Oh that's great. Hope you'll be sticking around here for your days five and six!
Old 07-18-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Timeforchange, good for you! Hang in there.

Charlie, being so productive is such a great feeling.

Brynn, you obviously have air conditioning if it's too hot outside but you're turning on the oven to bake. Not I!!!

I'm still working the church rummage sale. Not enough people coming through. Not well advertised at all. We think we're doing it next weekend too and I'll donate some time. I found I love sitting here and chatting with people as they check out. Actually, rediscovering it. I worked at Crate & Barrel for two years and interacting with people as I checked them out was one of my favorite parts of the job.

Thunderstorm was rolling overhead but think it's in abeyance at the moment.

Have to get head back into being here but it's been fun. See y'all later.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Heck yeah gettingsmarter! Just chopping garlic to go in the butter for the mussels. They smell so sweet i may not need it. Waiting for the sun to get behind the trees before i start the basil pesto chicken. No need to bake in the heat and grill!