Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

A Tale of Nine Day Ones, Eight Monthly Classes, and (Finally) Seventy Days Sober

Notices

A Tale of Nine Day Ones, Eight Monthly Classes, and (Finally) Seventy Days Sober

Old 07-16-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 70 days Casey!!

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I read every word as well

I think I have mentioned before but whenever I feel like I might be slipping, I always remember what you say that I don't have to take that first drink no matter what. It has helped me through some close calls so thank you for that.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Great post Casey, thank you for sharing. InControl is in my April 2015 class and I absolutely love the man too. He was one of the very first people on this forum to offer me advice and encouragement to keep going. The key is being honest with yourself, and with others, no need to put on a show here. I would not be almost 3 months sober, with numerous day ones as well, without SR!
Old 07-16-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Fantastic Casey!!
Old 07-16-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Way to go man. You have every right to be as proud as you are. Staying off the bottle is simple, but it's not easy.

The one thing that made it clear to me that you were serious is: First and foremost, you never gave up and secondly that you were very active and helped others. I sincerely appreciate you and really glad you recognized me.

For what it's worth, I look up to you. You are very wise (experience I guess), and have not taken your foot off the peddle. You're an inspiration.

If I could offer advise....don't let up! I found myself posting less and less and becoming more and more stuck in the issues in my life that I had created. I was focused on me, myself, and I. As a result, my resolve and pride started to diminish. I caved and bought some Pot last week when faced with the opportunity to do so. No hesitation. No remorse. Well....until I found myself smoking all day every day for a couple days. Even threw it away in a trash can at a car wash, only to return the next day to dig it out of the dumpster. Yup. Real proud moment. I destroyed for good the next day.

I had a pot addiction in the past and knew it was bad for me, yet did it anyway. I didn't drink, but I wasn't sober either. I'm sticking with my alcohol quit date of 4/20 and renewed my vow to not put any mood enhancement drugs into my body. I've started posting in The drug abuse section for MJ as well.

You're kind words, and especially taking a moment to send me a PM means more to me than you imagine. Thank you.

And thank you too Cauliflower. You are so sweet!

This is a long journey. I could not imagine doing it without the fine folks here like yourselves.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks again to everyone for their kind words, both public and private. Been a wonderful day here in hot West Texas--spent the afternoon at the pool with my nine year old nephew. Just cooked a wonderful homemade meal, and I'm about to head to an AA meeting to get some more fellowship in recovery. And of course I've been here on SR off and on throughout the day. It's my new addiction of sorts. Much healthier one than most of my previous vices though.

Hope you all have had a happy, joyous, and free day today!
Old 07-16-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome
Old 07-16-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Casey,

I hope you realize what a standout you are here at Sober Recovery. I know you're only 70 days in, but I seriously think you'd make a great addiction counselor-- just sayin...

Last edited by Bebrave; 07-16-2015 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-16-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Wow! Inspirational. Thanks for sharing
Old 07-17-2015, 12:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bebrave View Post
Casey,

I hope you realize what a standout you are here at Sober Recovery. I know you're only 70 days in, but I seriously think you'd make a great addiction counselor-- just sayin...
I agree, worth some thought Casey?
Old 07-17-2015, 01:15 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hey Casey,

This is some seriously impressive work that you are doing. We all have so much to learn from you, each other. Keep it going, for sure!

Nice.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks again for the nice words everyone. Onward to day 71 now. My first day 71, I might add. Wishing each and every one of you a happy and sober start to your weekend! Thanks to all of you for keeping me sober one more day.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Congratulations on one more day!

I'm still not sure how I feel about the days counting but I'm early in my own journey, hoping not to have to even consider the days eventually, just a life of sobriety...
Old 07-17-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Casey! This was a truly inspirational story for me and I am so glad that you shared!
Old 07-17-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by toadie54 View Post
Congratulations on one more day!

I'm still not sure how I feel about the days counting but I'm early in my own journey, hoping not to have to even consider the days eventually, just a life of sobriety...
I count days for two reasons. One, it reminds me that this is a daily journey and that I shouldn't get ahead of myself or complacent in my recovery. Two, it helps build accountability to others and myself. When I come in here and announce I'm on a new day, I am telling you that for sure I am sober today.

Some people don't care for counting days. They say it builds up pressure. To each their own. Do whatever works for you.

Thanks again for the kind words.