Notices

trying to healthy again

Old 07-15-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trying to healthy again

Im in my 40's. Have had problems with alcohol since I was 18. Im a binge drinker. I start off as a happy outgoing fun feel-good drunk until I cant get mad about something, jealous of someone, my mind makes up things that are not real, I do stupid risky hurtful things. I have depression so drinking makes that worse. I quit for 7 months 2 years ago and felt amazing! now...sick, sad, gained 10 pounds, look horrible, lost interest in everything, suffer at my job, and worst off found a new group of bar friends and a new boyfriend who drinks too much too. I want to stay sober, but I will lose my friends and my boyfriend.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, back2thegoodME!
Old 07-15-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

40 years old is still so very young even if
you don't believe it or feel it at this moment.

I was 30 yrs old when I entered recovery, not
by choice, but thru family intervention. It was
the love and care of them doing for for me what
I was incapable of doing for myself which ultimately
saved my life.

I spent 28 day in a rehab facility being taught
about my addiction and its affcts on my own
body, mind and soul and those around me.

I took this program of recovery taught to
me when I returned home to my little family
and incorporated it in all areas of my life.

I made changes in my life as suggested to me
and have continued on my road of recovery
building a strong solid foundation to live my
life upon each day I remain sober.

Change is hard, but it can be done with the
help and support from many others who
learned themselves how to live life with
a program of recovery as a guideline.

Many of those so called friends I thought
I had back in those clubs and bars could all
still be there for all I know, but for me I had
realize and learn that my alcoholism tried
to take my life and with willingness, openmindeness
and honesty, my life has been restored to me
with much appreciation, gratefulness and
blessings. More than I could have ever imagined.

Go learn about your addiction and find a
healthy way to live your life happy, joyous
and free for many more years to come.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome B2TGM youl find lots of support here

Nice to meet you
Old 07-15-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey, Back2thegoodme! You've done this before and so you know it starts with some big changes.

Sometimes you need to leave things behind. I'm a musician and I love playing in bands and being a player on the live music scene but I know I can't be around those people and in certain situations right now... So it's back to my day job. It's all a series of priorities, I guess. I asked myself what were the most important things in my life and health and family came out top. Even so, I still haven't sold my Stratocaster! I'm hoping that one day there'll be room for everything...

I hope you make the decision that's right for you
Old 07-15-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm a binge drinker too, so I understand exactly the emotional rollercoaster that happens during a binge. You are much more important than your friends and boyfriend. If that means cutting all ties so you can focus on you, so be it. You can make new friends and start a happier life. I wish you well as you recover.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! Maybe losing your drinking friends wouldn't be such a bad thing after all. Your health and peace of mind are worth it, don't you think?
Old 07-15-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My oh my how I relate to this post. I really don't know how long it is truly going to take me to realize, no matter what the label or definition, I am way better off sober. I had life on track for awhile in sobriety. I had identified goals and was finally putting away some money to up my security. Everything was on track til about ..hmmm... April I guess and it all went to hell in a handbasket. I drained my growing bundle of economic security and started picking up some new drinking buddies... ya, not where I want to be. For me, drinking is a fast track to "loserville" scrambling to make ends meet with no purpose to hold fast to.

I feel ya. I been just over a week sober (again) and life is better already. It's like when I live in sporadic drunkfests...my mind is "idiotic" 100% of the time.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back2thegoodME

I don;t know about anyone else here but I had to lose the people who were in my life by the end. They were all heavy drinkers or drug takers - don't get me wrong, some of them were great people - but I knew I had to change my life or die.

My life was about drinking or getting drunk. I couldn't live that life and be sober. I tried - it didn't fit.

Change is scary I know - I had no idea what a brand new life would look like - but I reconnected with old friends I'd drifted away from, and I made new sober friends.

I made a life that reflected the new sober me.

8 years on and I love it. I don't regret a single tough decision I had to make.
I rediscovered the old me - someone I'd forgotten even existed.

I hope you decide to give it a go too

D
Old 07-15-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's what happens to me, starts out great, ends up with me imagining things and being an idiot, I didn't really realize I was doing it until I read texts I had sent the night before, and saw how I was twisting things and imagining things totally wrong.
I also gained back 10 lbs I lost staying sober
Just gotta keep trying!
Old 07-15-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, back. I'm so glad you joined us to talk things over. We know how hard it is to take this huge step - and to change your life. We're here to help - there's plenty of encouragement to be found here.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The things I feared I'd lose the most by getting sober were things I was destroying/would have destroyed drinking anyway. For me, being an irritable blackout drunk was in no way helping me maintain a friendship or a boyfriend. Your true relationships will withstand this change!
Old 07-15-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi back2thegoodME, The topic of social circles has come up a fair amount recently on this forum. I believe most of the seasoned vets will tell you that prying yourself away from those people/relationships makes not drinking much easier. To remain is nearly torture.
You also mentioned you are mostly a happy drinker...until (something happens). Obviously the chances of someone saying something or happening is far greater in a social atmosphere of a bunch of people drinking. Wishing you best.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, back2thegoodME! I'm glad you found us here. I'm sorry you're having troubles, and it's going to be very hard to sustain sobriety if you keep running with the drinking crowd. Consider this- if you have to drink to keep your friends they're probably not very good friends, just drinking buddies. Same with your BF.

I'm around the same age as you have drank just as long. I can say it's amazing how things change once you get sober.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!