Notices

Blood tests

Old 07-15-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blood tests

Well I just got the results from my yrly blood tests I do for a physical that is paid by work.

The good news is that my liver counts are all normal. AST is 25 (normal is 0-40) and ALT is 38 (normal is 0-44). Albumin is 4.6 (3.5-5.5 normal) and Globulin is 2.7 (1.5-4.5 is normal).

However a kidney test came back SLIGHTLY elevated- creatinine was 1.3 (normal is .76-1.27) but my BUN/Creatinine Ratio was normal range with a 12 (normal is 8-19).

So I am going in today so ask my Dr what that could mean. My MCV is also right at the normal range 97 (normal is 79-97). I researched that and said sustained alcohol use can cause red blood cells to get bigger. The good news I guess is that it will return to normal in about 3 months if I stop drinking.

So this could be a wake up call... Im still relatively young (early 30s) so now I have an actual medical reason to stop... I'll let you all know what the Dr says after my appointment.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck at the doctor's appointment, hope all is well. This could be a great motivator to put down alcohol for good.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good that the liver function results are normal! Good luck at your appointment. Keep us updated!

It's smart to get these tests btw. Coincidentally, I got my form to get my blood drawn from my doctor last Monday. It's for a full check. We agreed that I should wait for a couple of months before I take it since right now I show no signs of illness but the fact that I recently quit might cause the counts to be a bit out of the ordinary. But not a reason to worry about since I'm in the process of getting them back to normal. The importance is in about 3 months. If they're not ok then, THEN it means something needs to be looked into.

Look at that, I took a response and made it primarily about me. Sorry about that.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
Im still relatively young (early 30s) so now I have an actual medical reason to stop....
...or not. I knew people with Hep C who still drank. If people want to quit, they'll quit. And if they want to drink, they will. Regardless of one's health.

Commit to sobriety. Don't wait for a 'reason'
Old 07-15-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Do you want to stop drinking ? im with Carl dont wait for a reason Jryan
Old 07-15-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Do you want to stop drinking ? im with Carl dont wait for a reason Jryan
Tks for info, my hemoglobin was very high, and dr. said it was probably a lab error, but we went over labs before my confession. Now I see its due to alcohol.

You are young, stop now it only gets worse! Everything gets worse, the withdrawals, your health! Confess all to your physician! You are too young to remember lost in space but "Warning, warning Will Robinson"!
Old 07-15-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sometimes we are fortunate to receive a 'heads-up' from our bodies. As Sadie said, take heed; listen to the message.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah as it turns out when I talked to my DR about this- different labs use different thresholds. And since I have gotten my bloodwork done with him (about 3 times in 4 years) that number of 1.3 hasnt changed much. In fact, it is down from what I tested last time. Since there is no progression in that number, he said there is nothing to worry about. If it was something bad, that number would increase each time I took the test.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Glad your bloods are looking relatively normal jryan. I get my results on Friday and I'm a little bit scared. Hoping for the best.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats jryan
Old 07-29-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BringingBackB View Post
Glad your bloods are looking relatively normal jryan. I get my results on Friday and I'm a little bit scared. Hoping for the best.
Let us know how it goes...