SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   2 weeks! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/371646-2-weeks.html)

JerryFish 07-15-2015 08:24 AM

2 weeks!

Two Wednesdays ago was day 1 for me, making today 2 weeks! And it's still going well.

I've had mild cravings twice. Once ignored, they quickly went away.

For the first 8 days I went through detox, which was mild also. The main thing was extreme sweating. But on day 8, everything was back to normal.

I'm in recovery. My body functions a bit better every day. A few days ago I noticed how smooth my skin was becoming.

The main thing that needs to recover is my brain. I'm still unfocused a lot. Poor memory. Brain fog. Feelings and emotions not quite the way they're supposed to be yet. But that is improving. I am getting clearer. I can focus on reading better. I remember more easily. My natural feelings are gradually coming back.

It was a bit of a shock to find out how much I had hurt my brain with alcohol. It is improving, but I have a long way to go. This will take a lot more time. I really hope it turns back to normal and no permanent damage has been done. I do think so, since I sometimes have moments where I am as clear as I were before I started drinking. So my brain can still do it.

To stimulate recovery, I have started studying things I find interesting. Learning has been shown to improve the brain. I think I might look for a good language course. I've read once that learning a new language is a very good way to exercise the brain. And it's fun too!

So I'm not concerned but am glad that I quit before I did permanent damage...

2 weeks. Went by just like that. For me the key was reading and posting here, eating and drinking well, walking a lot, and a stubborn refusal to drink, no matter what.

And as others have mentioned... The sleep. That wonderful, beautiful sober sleep... :)

Thanks so far everyone. This group is a crucial element in my recovery.

Soberwolf 07-15-2015 08:32 AM

Excellent work on 2 weeks JerryFish thats amazing bud

Cauliflower 07-15-2015 09:13 AM

Congratulations on 2 weeks! It only gets better!

ChickChick 07-15-2015 11:18 AM

2 weeks is fantastic! Congrats! :a122:

SoberLeigh 07-15-2015 11:22 AM

Great job on two weeks, JerryFish. Cognitive function was the last thing to improve/resolve for me but the good news is that it eventually did.

Stick with it.

Sobriety gets better and better.

CaseyW 07-15-2015 12:23 PM

Congrats on 2 weeks, JerryFish. It keeps getting better and better.

Very glad you've decided to stick around and stay active here. I was a little worried after your post a few days ago where you talked about cutting back your time here. Keep on keeping on! You are doing great.

JerryFish 07-15-2015 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by CaseyW (Post 5467259)
Congrats on 2 weeks, JerryFish. It keeps getting better and better.

Very glad you've decided to stick around and stay active here. I was a little worried after your post a few days ago where you talked about cutting back your time here. Keep on keeping on! You are doing great.

No need to worry, I love it here! :) I've found that giving advice to others helps me as well.

Dee74 07-15-2015 03:03 PM

Congrats Jerry :)

D