Notices

Tapering sucks

Old 07-15-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tapering sucks

Well im gona skip to two cans tonight for two nights in a row if no WDs then down to one see how that goes and start skipping a night doctor didnt really recommend a time frame did anyone have a time frame or was it just based on WD symptoms?
Old 07-15-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wrong forum sorry guys trying to delete or move any ideas
Old 07-15-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh its in the right one now happy days
Old 07-15-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

We can't really give tapering instructions here - it's against our medical advice rule.

If your Dr didn't give you instructions, maybe it's worth asking for some?

D
Old 07-15-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I never tapered, so pardon my ignorance, but will 2 cans actually make a significant difference in WDs?
Old 07-15-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tapering is meant to allow your body and brain to adjust gradually to less alcohol leading to less WDs its tricky when you have trouble moderating but i do definately feel better not drinking my usual amount no horrible WDs but time will tell yet to face the sober day night but dont want to drag it out or tapering will become an excuse to drink think i'll go off how my body feels not a time frame
Old 07-15-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I never tapered when I quit, I am pretty sure I could not have done it. I quit after going to the ER and it was pretty miserable but after a week things started looking up.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I tapered all last week it really sucked because you still have some withdrawals.. I started sober last Saturday. I can't tell you what to do medically because it depends on how much you franked. But I used beer to taper with an not beer I liked I bought nasty beer I hated lol made the taper easier. Also I sipped slowly every hour an went to bed as fast as I could ever night. Contact your doctor tho I really was playing a dangerous game but I made it day 5 sober for me now so guess it worked. Good luck
Old 07-15-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

i tapered for probably 5 days or so. I wanted to just be sure no nasty withdrawels where gonna get me. and yes it sucked in the end i cut my taper short becuase i was so annoyed that i could no longer get drunk i figured why bother to tease myself with these few beers a night evenings I threw in the towell and gave up on the beer.

Tapering was like a slow death to my drinking habit hated it but I did it to be safe.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ive seen a GP not a very good one was clueless.i had some WDs daily the last few wks very worrying but the less beer i drink the better they are getting hopefully by the end of the weekend i can stop thanks for your stories and helpfull insight
Old 07-15-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Random observation, seems that more Brits on this site taper because recommended by physician. Here in U.S. seems more medical detox, inpatient or at home, or cold turkey, not tapering unless someone self tapers. All based on medical school training I am sure. I wonder what other countries do that have national health care, like Canada? Whatever works... Works! as long as it results in not drinking. just curious as methods vary per country, interesting to me. Best to you Caitlin, keep us posted!
Old 07-15-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes there does seem to be quite a difference between usa and uk over medical practices i think the same can apply to c sections states have a higher rate then us due to medical training
Old 07-15-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Dr's can help with WD i hope tapering works but if we never had a problem in the first place would we have to taper at all ?

Rootin for you Caitlin
Old 07-15-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It makes sense that in a self-pay country like the U.S. that we would use the more expensive intensive detox and that in government-pay countries they would suggest the (free) method. I'm sure it's more insurance/official policy than medical or compliance efficacy.

Give it a few years with the Affordable Care Act and maybe the approach will change here in the U.S. The high cost of treating alcoholics is a factor. I find it hard to believe that in this day of the internet that anyone would find tapering to be more effective. It's definitely more difficult for the addict and probably not as likely to end in a successful quit.

Cheaper, though.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Caitlin, I tapered. I didn't have any advice from a professional, and I had no idea that it could be dangerous to quit cold-turkey, but I made up my own taper because of the rapid heartbeat and anxiety. I only took three days. I don't recommend it!!

I didn't have a step-down plan. I just drank a little alcohol when the symptoms got too uncomfortable. I was lucky that it worked for me. I could have had a stroke or died. Be careful.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I would definitely call up your doctor and get more specifics.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Tapering too fast can be dangerous. Do you have another doctor or a nurse line you could call? Quitting drinking is hard enough without having no clear cut directions from a medical professional. If you fear you are tapering too quick, I suggest calling your GP or going to the ER (if the withdraw symptoms get bad). Make sure you keep your fluids up. Sports drinks will help replenish any lost electrolytes. Take vitamins and eat frequently. Check in often and let us know how you are fairing! All the best!
Old 07-15-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks guys hardly had any WDs today so my train of thought is that if my brain and body are adjusting then i can lower my intake still means i have to face complete abstinence and thats going to be the hard bit but for now its working got to make another appt in 4 weeks to see how iv got on and probably blood tests im determined to do this i want my health back gona start hiking next week start slowly of course congrats to you all who've managed to quit x
Old 07-15-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Tapering does seem to be the standard GP (family doctor) advice here in UK. I didn't taper myself because I knew I wouldn't be able to
Old 07-15-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I can only share my experience, I was able to taper successfully. For me, I mentally prepared more than anything. I approached it like the alcohol was medicine. And I only took it as needed, knowing 100% full well that I could not or would not taper forever, in fact, I wanted it over quickly. I had been drinking around the clock for a few weeks and knew I was in deep. I tapered over a day and half. One of the main reasons I tapered is because it allowed me to get some nutrition in my body and possibly some sleep. By mid afternoon on the 2nd day, I quit. Had a restless night of sleep, but since I had eaten a few meals (something I would have never done otherwise) on the 3rd day, I still experienced some uncomfortable moments, but I made it. Would not want to do it again.