Notices

Old 07-15-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm 58, and have tried to give up alcohol before, but something always seems to bring me back. This is only my 2nd full day, (I was drinking at the weekend). I am desperate to stop, as I feel worse everytime I drink. I gave up for 35 days once, but went back on it. This time, I need help, which is why I've joined your community, and am also looking at AA meetings in my area. I've never been to one. I'm also aware that it is my personal decision and responsibility whether I take a drink, but I think I can learn a lot from others, and how they deal with the daily challenge. Thanks
Old 07-15-2015, 03:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Bunnymen - you'll find a lot of support here
Great name

D
Old 07-15-2015, 03:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Bunnymen. Welcome to the forum. There is so much great information, wisdom and experience shared here. Glad you are here to share your journey.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm on day 2 as well, this place is amazing so much support and advice
Old 07-15-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good Morning Bunny, SR is wonderful place to find strength and hope in the stories of others that always seem to have an uncanny resemblance to that of yourself. Each day you'll find find victory and you'll find weakness but most of all you'll find a community that can relate to what your going through.

Stay Strong and know if others have done it you can too.

Blessings
Old 07-15-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi - welcome to SR - this is a great place for support and advice.

I go to AA and am lucky to have found some amazingly warm meetings where I can benefit from others sharing their experiences; strength; and hope. I would say, give it a go. You have nothing to lose and potentially a lot to gain. For me AA has been a life changer. Not only has it helped me not pick up again. It has helped me readjust my perspective on life, and to learn different strategies for dealing with fears, anxiety, and resentments.

It's usually a nerve wracking experience attending your first meeting, and there are a number of threads on here about it. Some new, and some older, but AA never changes much. Take a look through, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask... first AA meeting - Search SoberRecovery.com

if you'd like to understand more about what AA has to offer, then Monkey on My Shoulder is a great book, as is Living Sober. Both are available cheaply from Amazon (Living Sober you can download free to read online actually... Alcoholics Anonymous : Living Sober).

Wishing you lots of health, serenity and companionship in your sober journey. Keep us posted about how you're getting on.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.
Long before the internet was a word AA was the only aid in town and it’s proved to be a lifesaver for millions. With a big IF. Whatever path is chosen for recovery, if you’re an alcoholic, it must be followed permanently. With us humans we like the quick fix and then get back into our own dangerous lifestyle forgetting we can never drink alcohol in safety because it is a progressive disease and is only arrested when we stop drinking.

Reading forums on this site is a great education and eye opener along with a lot of meetings where the people understand each other.

BE WELL
Old 07-15-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the messages of support. They have lifted me psychologically, and it is heartening to see others in a similar situation, and how they cope. Atm, I'm just navigating around the site, finding my feet so to speak, but I am definitely going to attend an AA meeting. I suppose the important thing is that today, I don't want a drink, and I want to find a way forward where I never have that first glass of wine, or bottle of beer, because it always ends up as a disaster. I mean, I know that, but it hasn't stopped me in the past. Thanks again for your replies though
Old 07-15-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, bunnymen1! I highly suggest joining and actively participating in the Class of July 2015 thread found on this same forum. It's a great way to learn from and help others who are also in early recovery. Wishing you the best today...
Old 07-15-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here, welcome.

We have some things in common - about a year back I walked into AA and signed on to SR. The combination of face to face support and global recovery experience, strength and hope has given me a way to stay stopped. We are close to the same age as well.

The entire key in my experience to getting sober is acceptance of our condition and circumstances, taking accountability for where we are today - not deflecting blame on others for our situation - and a true desire to change.

If a person has those qualities, they cannot fail. Those who struggle seem to have problems with the solution ( of their choosing ). They have accepted the problem, but not the solution and stay mired in the mud.

That is exactly what I did for many years. One day a light went on - dim at first but started to burn brighter daily as I stacked a little sober time. A day, a week a month. Suddenly things were changing because I opened my mind up to the possibility.

There's a phrase we hear in rooms out of the Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. Contempt prior to investigation. Brother, was that ever me.........all was white or black. No gray, no perhaps, no middle.

Life is gray and I have found happiness in the middle

Thanks for joining us - you're the reason we are here.
Keep coming back!
Old 07-15-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Bunnymen
Old 07-15-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I "echo" what the others have said.

Welcome to SR. I hope you will post often and let us know how you are doing.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You've come to the right place! Welcome!
Old 07-16-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Bunnymen!!