Notices

A question about some books "prescribed" to me

Old 07-14-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A question about some books "prescribed" to me

At the addiction center my psychologist has asked me to purchase and read two books. I was wondering if anyone here has ever read them.

The first is called "Women who run with the wolves" and sorry, looks way beyond my mental limit for new-ageyness. I'm going to buy it because I promised I would do absolutely everything asked of me to do this sober thing. But I'm curious if anyone has ever read it and what the author is on about?

The second is called "La Princepessa che credeva nelle favole" which I unfortunately JUST saw had been translated into English "The Princess who believed in fairytales" but only today purchased the Italian version. I much prefer to read in my native tongue. Oh well, I'll read it anyway.

Has anyone read either of these books? I'm curious your thoughts, specifically if you thought they were helpful.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Heres a link to chapter 1 of the women who run with wolves its on youtube http://youtu.be/0IU60fRlCYo

And here is a review of the princess book on you tube http://youtu.be/Ppkg52Iuvps

Hope you enjoy
Old 07-14-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks sober wolf! I didn't think to check there! Look at you banging out the supportive posts on your special anniversary. YOu are a special person who is always so helpful, it is much appreciated by all of us.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"Women Who Run With The Wolves" is good - I read it a long time ago. Is your therapist a female? I find females are better for me.

There are hundreds of classic reading books for self-help and self-improvement. Most of them teach the same lessons over and over. I went through a period where I read lots of them - like twenty five years ago.

It's a great idea!

*edit to say, can't you just check them out of a library? Or is everything in Italian there?
Old 07-14-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Never heard of them - but wanted to encourage you with this;
There's a phrase I heard early on that helped me and was so true - Contempt prior to investigation.

That defined me pretty well. All was yes or no, black or white - no gray.

I've learned (surely not innate behavior for me) to explore and then decide.

I think your doc meant for you to read it, not just buy it - as part of your sober thing!!???

Keep coming back
Old 07-14-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'll read them when they arrive. Could be 2018 before they do. Ah, the Italian postal system…. reason enough to drink….

Ok, ok, bad recovery joke there…
Old 07-14-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Might be worth asking in the Sober Recovery Book Club ... The Book Club - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I hadn't heard of either but they sound interesting. Just picked up a cheap copy of the Women Who Run with Wolves one on e-bay. It's often worth checking there. And on Abe Books.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Mera
Old 07-14-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

sorry, looks way beyond my mental limit for new-ageyness.
I dont knwo anything about these books. but i was raised catholic. I got married and drifted more towards a typical christian belief.

But when i got sober and i guess just before then I read a new age book. Now i've read a fair amt of buddahism type books or along those lines etc... All the while I've maintained my strong christian beliefs but I have benefited a lot by these other belief systems as well.

My point is be open you might learn something and you can still hold on tightly to what your core beliefs are. this stuff might just give you a better understanding of some other aspect or make you more well rounded. Or you might totally hate it.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Into the Void

You might want to see if any of Allen Carr's books about drinking have been translated into Italian. I have tossed some of the flakier new-age books I got re recovery, although is some respects Mr. Carr was something of a hippy himself.