Notices

Leave me alone...

Old 07-14-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Leave me alone...

It is day 38 and all of sudden I am gagging for a drink.

I have to go out now to client meetings. Both in restaurants. Then later I have arranged to kick a ball around with some buddies. First time for months.

The client meetings have to happen. I need to invoice to eat.

And the exercise will do me good. But the bar afterwards?

I want to cancel everything. But that is what I would have done when hungover in the bad old days.

There is not even a rational sounding A V. This is a 'deeper me' saying. **** it. Do it. Crash and burn.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day 38 is great. You've started getting over the initial pull. But now you're facing bigger challenges. Drinking won't bring you what you want. Maybe do the meetings and not the bars. Reread some of your earlier threads to remember why you're here. You know, it's easier to keep going and deal with the momentary discomfort, and I know it's not comfortable, than to have to start over again.

I find it helpful to read threads here from people seeking support after s relapse to remind me. Take some time for you. Hang in there
Old 07-14-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 38 Fradley http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

If you need to talk im around bud
Old 07-14-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Frad, make sure your order bread early and get some carbs in your system, also a soft drink so you have a glass in your hand. You can make an excuse and skip the bar after sport.
Getting though these challenges successfully is a huge boost to your self-esteem.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fradley

I feel your angst. Been there. If you have to go to the bar, make sure you order a soda or sparkling water as soon as you get there. Maybe you can make a plan to split after 45 minutes to an hour. The others will be comfortable by then and you can make a graceful exit.

Don't drink. And then report back to us tomorrow how everything went.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

wow 38 Fradley that is a great number for a Start... when you are at lunches.. do the Forte Tea if they have that .. starts with a pot of hot tea.. very good for the system goes to a small glass pitcher with Ice you add the lemon or lime or whatever.. do this it takes time .. slowes you down and is so great when you sip it.. they have a ton of flavors... I have that out all the time.. love it to bits.. and several business people that I have been with are now doing this instead of the drinks.. mmmmm it smells great..
Bar after excerise I have never understood that... would seem it kinda defeats the purpose of the excerise... hey here is a thought a Juice Bar or Smoothy Bar.. if they are around...

hang in there kiddo you can do this ... ardy
Old 07-14-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Heros

Thank you everyone.

This is the first time I have felt the need to post outside my class since the very early days.

I got to read the first couple of posts before my meeting. Got ggere first. Ordered a rock shandy which looks like 'a drink'.

Sport now. I will skip the bar afterwards even though u haven't seen the guys for ages.

There will be another week.

Thank you so much. I was feeling helpless and zombie like.

Wolf - two years !!!!!
Old 07-14-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Be proud of how far you've come.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I am travelling on business, and am in a hotel bar after work, and the guys are having beers / drinks before we head for the restaurant, I always order a Tonic with a twist of Lime, and state ... No Alcohol.

Congrats on Day 38
Old 07-14-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are things now Fradley?

D
Old 07-14-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Its gotta be hard for you sales people, always entertaining to close a deal. I know some friends who are in that line of work and they certainly can put em down. Good for you today in avoiding a slip. I've exercised A LOT in my life, and as good as it feels to have a few after a strenuous workout, it feels even better without it...in my opinion of course.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 38 days sober!
Old 07-14-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
zjw

congrats on the 38 days!!

There is not even a rational sounding A V. This is a 'deeper me' saying. **** it. Do it. Crash and burn.
Yeah I know that voice. As time goes on tho it becomes less a "deeper me" and more an AV it starts to seperate it self from you. It be comes there and not here so to say. Oh it will still egg you on and will try and trick you.

Hang in there keep up the good fight. it will ease up. I still have moments too where i'm liek screw it maybe i'll just get drunk and eat cake and such who cares. But then I think where is that going to get me? I'll be miserable then much more so even so whatever bothers me now that makes me wanna say screw it is nothing in comparison to going back to that.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello.

I am very pleased to say I made it through. But boy that was scary. I realise that it was that sort of thing that had seen me relapse before.

Weird that it came apparently out of the blue with no warning then squatted on my mind bullying me, telling me that having a drink was inevitable. For hours. I could think of nothing else.

But it wasn't inevitable - and this is why.

This time I have had enough - I want to keep moving towards a sober life, not take a break from drinking for a while.

I do NOT want to go to day one again.

This time I have my friends at SR.

Thank you so much

Last edited by nyala; 07-15-2015 at 02:50 AM. Reason: dodgy tenses
Old 07-15-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Great outcome! This will help you build confidence Frad, but be very alert in case it pops up unexpectedly in the future. I've found the times I was prepared easier than the surprises.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great job Fradley!
Old 07-15-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I somehow missed this whole thread yesterday. So glad you decided to not take that first drink, Fradley. Huge step forward for you. Keep on keeping on, my friend! You are doing great.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great job Fradley
Old 07-15-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Great work, Fradley!
Old 07-15-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Fradley good job flexing your sober muscles. So glad you made it through.