Notices

Something More than Free

Old 07-13-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something More than Free

I was reading an interview with Jason Isbell (an Americana musician that has struggled with sobriety and now is in recovery). Anyways, I hope this quote helps some of you today that have the freedom to choose whether to stay sober or not:

"Very often you hear people putting so much emphasis on having the freedom to choose, and living the lives that they want. And I understand that I have been very fortunate to be born into certain circumstances that allow me to do whatever I want to do, for the most part. But freedom can also be enough rope by which to hang yourself. I went through a long period of time where I didn’t have to answer to anybody, so I made a lot big mistakes: things that I don’t necessarily regret now — because I learned from them — but I overdosed on that freedom for a while. I think as you get older, if you mature and grow in the right way, then eventually you realize it’s not really freedom that you’re fighting for. It’s what that freedom can get you. It’s freedom combined with the ability to make good decisions and align your priorities correctly. "

This just resonated with me today. Jason has been through a lot of the same **** that we have all faced. He get's it. He's been on both sides of the fence. He went to rehab and straightened up. I encourage anyone to check out his albums "Southeastern" and "Something more than Free". He produced both of these sober and has a great view on life now!

Source: http://www.stereogum.com/1815299/qa-...ses/interview/
Old 07-13-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think what he's mentioned above is why the entertainment industry is rife with addiction issues. Endless resources and no one to tell you "no". I would say its a rarity in the industry to find a person is really grounded in reality. Same goes for trust fund babies.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Indeed, freedom is different as you gain some maturity/wisdom. To me freedom is not doing just whatever I want but being free to do what's right.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks WTL