Notices

Leaving in-hospital detox tomorrow (walking)

Old 07-12-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Leaving in-hospital detox tomorrow (walking)

Full story later.

At the end, I couldn't even muster the energy to walk. Spouse finally saw me off to the hospital where they put me in ICU. Been here for five days. All my vitals have returned to normal, but I'm still walking in a shaky, slow way. Should I practice? I just went around the unit holding my potassium pole, but I was still shaky. Been walking around the room without the pole in small spaces.

experiences?
Old 07-12-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad that you finally made it to a safe place for help. I would ask your doctor if it is OK to walk around as you have suggested. Best wishes for a full recovery, I would also recommend asking your doctors about alcohol recovery plans and resources in your area.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's totally next on the list. We just have to figure out where and what.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
For me, it took a few days in the ICU to be able to walk again, as I was completely depleted (I had stopped eating for days before I was admitted; my only intake was vodka). They sent down a physical therapist to get me walking slowly around the hospital. It took about a week for that shakiness while walking to go away.

The focus for you now should be next steps. The best thing I ever did for myself was to go straight from the hospital to an inpatient rehab facility. I haven't touched a drink or drug since. The hospital had a social worker who helped me get a bed.

This can be your turning point towards a better life.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My experience was almost identical to digdug's. A few days in ICU, two weeks total in the hospital.
My doctor found a bed for me in inpatient rehab. He also made sure that I didn't go home on the way to rehab.
I am alive today because of this.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notgonnastoptry View Post
Full story later.

At the end, I couldn't even muster the energy to walk. Spouse finally saw me off to the hospital where they put me in ICU. Been here for five days. All my vitals have returned to normal, but I'm still walking in a shaky, slow way. Should I practice? I just went around the unit holding my potassium pole, but I was still shaky. Been walking around the room without the pole in small spaces.

experiences?
Yes. Plenty of experiences, just like yours! None of them really worked for me until I had a 28 day rehab. I always relapsed, sooner or later, down the slippery slope. Some can make it to sobriety after a short term detox (which maybe is still called in the trade a "spin dry"). But, since the body takes much more than that short time to adjust back fully, this period after your discharge is fraught with danger. You will feel better physically and your AV will almost certainly be suggesting to you that "one small glass maybe of wine won't hurt". If you fall for that your alcoholic horse will be smelling the racetrack and soon it will be off and running. So some kind of aftercare is desirable, preferably with random urine tests. Carefully controlled medication if necessary for sleep. Some kind of program, AA or group therapy, etc., offering help and companionship from other persons in recovery, counseling, avoidance of old drinking buddies, etc. Keep in touch with us on SR. It's always a big help! The danger will lessen and you will feel more comfortable and secure gradually but full recovery takes patience and guts. Good luck. All the best.

W.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can't go to the inpatient rehab, so I'm going to the 6 hour a day one.

My story is similar. Last Bender lasted four days and all I consumed was vodka. Even when I tried to counter that with water, it wouldn't stay down. I finally couldn't walk anymore. That's when the spouse said "get in the car or I'm calling 9-11". AT First I refused then thought, it can't get any worse than this. I've been on a potassium drip, among other things for five days. I'm on a regular floor now. they monitor all vitals all the time. thank god everything is in order on that front. I have a few options for the out-patient therapy. Which one worked for you guys. My appetite is back and I'm doing a little better in terms of walking. But maybe I will call down the physical therapist. Can't hurt
Old 07-13-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I can't go to the inpatient rehab, so I'm going to the 6 hour a day one.

My story is similar. Last Bender lasted four days and all I consumed was vodka. Even when I tried to counter that with water, it wouldn't stay down. I finally couldn't walk anymore. That's when the spouse said "get in the car or I'm calling 9-11". AT First I refused then thought, it can't get any worse than this. I've been on a potassium drip, among other things for five days. I'm on a regular floor now. they monitor all vitals all the time. thank god everything is in order on that front. I have a few options for the out-patient therapy. Which one worked for you guys. My appetite is back and I'm doing a little better in terms of walking. But maybe I will call down the physical therapist. Can't hurt
I'd say whatever option gives you the most resources to get better is the one you should choose. As hard as it may seem to fathom, people walk out of situations like you have just experienced and the first thing they do on the way home from the hospital is buy another bottle and start drinking. I'd consult with your doctor and see if they have suggestions for which outpatient options you've been presented with are the best for you.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great to hear you're in a better place!! This can be your turning point!!
Old 07-13-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

But now my magnesium is low again after they got it stabilized earlier in the week. Why?
Old 07-13-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

But now my magnesium is low again after they got it stabilized earlier in the week. Why?
That's a question for your doctors. Your main concern is avoiding the risk of relapse after discharge from the hospital. I suggest that random drug and urine testing plus counseling and group therapy should be the absolute minimum. Assume that the 6 hour daily outpatient rehab includes this. Hope you realize that this will be a period of maximum risk for you. Focus that you are not "giving up" anything. You are giving yourself sobriety. If you insist on looking at it as "giving up" then realize that you are "giving up" slavery which would kill you horribly in the end. You are getting freedom, sobriety, happiness.

W.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

What Scott said best wishes for a full recovery & definitely ask about follow up help
Old 07-13-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This thread is difficult to read and hits very hard. I am very sorry for all of you who had to go through those things. I can't imagine. It is a stark reminder of the power of alcohol. At the same time so glad to hear you've all lived to tell the tale.

Notgonnastoptry, very glad to hear you are up and around. I'm guessing this will be a lengthy process, but one you are sure to achieve. Wishing you the very best.