SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 12 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/371459-day-12-a.html)

JerryFish 07-12-2015 10:15 AM

Day 12

Today is day 12 for me and it's still going well. In the past 12 days I've had a craving twice and just ignored it and they went away.

Today I'm noticing my clarity coming back more and more. And I feel happier and more energized as well at time. It made me realize that even though you think you feel good when drunk, you don't really. You're trapped in a cocoon of very limited ability to feel. You can't feel the real joys of life. That's all shut down.

So I'm beginning to enjoy this sober life. And I'm beginning to see the damage that it did now that it's being reversed. Thank God I didn't do any permanent damage...

saoutchik 07-12-2015 10:44 AM

Congratulations on 12 days Jerry

You are right - you might get an hour of feeling good (at best) when drinking but then spend the whole of the next day full of feeling unwell and regrets for the things you didn't do because you were hungover

ts808 07-12-2015 11:00 AM

Yesterday was my 12th day as well. You're right, every once in awhile you get a craving but if you wait it out it eventually goes away, drinking just isn't worth the price you have to pay in the form of a hangover and bad feelings. Congrats on your 12 days and here's to many, many more.

Soberwolf 07-12-2015 11:14 AM

Congrats on day 12 Jerry

PurpleKnight 07-12-2015 12:12 PM

Fantastic Jerry!! Keep pushing through!! :scoregood

thomas11 07-12-2015 05:47 PM

What you talk about in your OP is why I think there is a lot of laughing and crying after a decent period of sobriety. People start to "feel" again. Genuine feelings are difficult to achieve when numb all of the time, agree?

DuhDave 07-12-2015 05:53 PM

Saint Olaf ?

Elizabeth333 07-12-2015 05:58 PM

Yeah!

Jerry - you're doing it! Just remember to always stay vigilant. The nasty imp is never quite gone...

JerryFish 07-13-2015 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by DuhDave (Post 5463514)
Saint Olaf ?

Huh? :)

Weasel1966 07-13-2015 02:25 AM

Welcome JerryFish to SR!

I think you may have already noticed it's a pretty special place.

I use it every day. Hope you will stick around! Join in as much as you can!

Congrats on ... Day 13!!!! :D

JerryFish 07-13-2015 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by thomas11 (Post 5463510)
What you talk about in your OP is why I think there is a lot of laughing and crying after a decent period of sobriety. People start to "feel" again. Genuine feelings are difficult to achieve when numb all of the time, agree?

I agree. The brain actually has to reset to normal functioning and I've found that that's not a smooth process at times. It comes with ups and downs and outbursts. They're all good signs though. The brain is resetting to being able to functioning normally.

Yesterday I felt happy. Even a moment of bliss. Later on I felt a bit sad. Then bored. Then better again. Then tired. Right now I'm feeling not so well since I have a stomach flu, but the way I feel about it is much more stable than I would have felt about it earlier in recovery.

JerryFish 07-13-2015 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 (Post 5463834)
Welcome JerryFish to SR!

I think you may have already noticed it's a pretty special place.

I use it every day. Hope you will stick around! Join in as much as you can!

Congrats on ... Day 13!!!! :D

Thanks! And yes, it's a special place indeed. I'm on here every day as well. If I don't post, at least I read. It's a great help!