Notices

Big decision the first year?

Old 07-11-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Big decision the first year?

Good evening (or morning to those around the world)! So I've decided after a couple of years of dragging my feet (and drinking myself into oblivion) that I want to go back to school and earn my Masters degree in mental health counseling. The thing is though, I'm just shy of 4 months sober and I keep hearing and reading that I don't need to make any big decisions the first year of recovery. Just wanted to see if anyone had any input or experience in this decision department. Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-11-2015, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Getting sober was a big decision!

If you think you can do it, go for it!
Old 07-12-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InMyBlood View Post
Good evening (or morning to those around the world)! So I've decided after a couple of years of dragging my feet (and drinking myself into oblivion) that I want to go back to school and earn my Masters degree in mental health counseling. The thing is though, I'm just shy of 4 months sober and I keep hearing and reading that I don't need to make any big decisions the first year of recovery. Just wanted to see if anyone had any input or experience in this decision department. Thanks a bunch!
I think a decision like this may be a perfectly-aligned way of bringing important change to your life, actively building a new, sober life's vision.

I would be careful to ensure you pursue your goal with adequate support, and ask yourself whether you're keeping on track with your sobriety.... Not using the school path as a distraction from important self work that is needed to really build your sober foundation.

But if you can keep to that work alongside your goal, what a wonderful way to really build a new life and incorporate your sobriety into a focus on helping others....
Old 07-12-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I made bigger decisions drunk. In fact, I finished my masters while drinking. I say go for it.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

I'm not big on the "don't make any big decisions/don't get into relationships etc during the first year" idea.

If you were on day three of sobriety I'd say give it some time and think about it later but I think at this point on your journey you're capable of sitting down, assessing your situation, being HONEST with yourself and making a logical decision.

Good luck
Old 07-12-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Go for it.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

If you feel good about it then go for it !
Old 07-12-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi.
With a lot of years being among all sorts of alcoholics I strongly suggest getting our own house in order first as like it or not we are still tender people in general. With that said I believe that working on our own recovery is the number 1 priority. Many here have many talents and usually an Easy Does It approach to large changes is needed.
I say this knowing it takes time to recover.

BE WELL
Old 07-12-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input, everybody I'm starting small with some research and a financial aid meeting, so I have time to think things through.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I say go for it as well. Sounds like a perfect way to settle into a new life of sobriety.