SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Big decision the first year? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/371429-big-decision-first-year.html)

InMyBlood 07-11-2015 09:17 PM

Big decision the first year?

Good evening (or morning to those around the world)! So I've decided after a couple of years of dragging my feet (and drinking myself into oblivion) that I want to go back to school and earn my Masters degree in mental health counseling. The thing is though, I'm just shy of 4 months sober and I keep hearing and reading that I don't need to make any big decisions the first year of recovery. Just wanted to see if anyone had any input or experience in this decision department. Thanks a bunch!

sugarbear1 07-11-2015 09:18 PM

Getting sober was a big decision!

If you think you can do it, go for it!

FreeOwl 07-12-2015 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by InMyBlood (Post 5462336)
Good evening (or morning to those around the world)! So I've decided after a couple of years of dragging my feet (and drinking myself into oblivion) that I want to go back to school and earn my Masters degree in mental health counseling. The thing is though, I'm just shy of 4 months sober and I keep hearing and reading that I don't need to make any big decisions the first year of recovery. Just wanted to see if anyone had any input or experience in this decision department. Thanks a bunch!

I think a decision like this may be a perfectly-aligned way of bringing important change to your life, actively building a new, sober life's vision.

I would be careful to ensure you pursue your goal with adequate support, and ask yourself whether you're keeping on track with your sobriety.... Not using the school path as a distraction from important self work that is needed to really build your sober foundation.

But if you can keep to that work alongside your goal, what a wonderful way to really build a new life and incorporate your sobriety into a focus on helping others....

Tang 07-12-2015 05:32 AM

I made bigger decisions drunk. In fact, I finished my masters while drinking. I say go for it.

TroubledJoe 07-12-2015 05:39 AM

I'm not big on the "don't make any big decisions/don't get into relationships etc during the first year" idea.

If you were on day three of sobriety I'd say give it some time and think about it later but I think at this point on your journey you're capable of sitting down, assessing your situation, being HONEST with yourself and making a logical decision.

Good luck :)

stephendu 07-12-2015 05:40 AM

Go for it.

Soberwolf 07-12-2015 05:52 AM

If you feel good about it then go for it !

IOAA2 07-12-2015 05:57 AM

Hi.
With a lot of years being among all sorts of alcoholics I strongly suggest getting our own house in order first as like it or not we are still tender people in general. With that said I believe that working on our own recovery is the number 1 priority. Many here have many talents and usually an Easy Does It approach to large changes is needed.
I say this knowing it takes time to recover.

BE WELL

InMyBlood 07-12-2015 07:17 AM

Thanks for the input, everybody :) I'm starting small with some research and a financial aid meeting, so I have time to think things through.

TroyW 07-12-2015 07:45 AM

I say go for it as well. Sounds like a perfect way to settle into a new life of sobriety.