Notices

Peer pressure

Old 07-11-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Peer pressure

Im on my fourth day, getting better, eating and coming on here quite a bit and talking to you lovely people, and i ran into my neighbor while doing laundry out n about n for the past maybe 15 minutes trying to invite me to his house with his family but i already passed by and said hi, all drinkin i told him no thanky, cmon just one, i again said no thank you. I told him after this im going home to clean and do what i need to. I was okay but someone puts in my head because that part of me im trying to get rid of said, you know its hot maybe just one, and i quickly went through my head of what i just went through, but im okay. Just that peer pressure, even if they know you have a problem, telling me well you have to learn to be with just a couple and be okay, well no im not there like i used to when i started and doubt i will be. Jist sharing my many moments of peer preasure and that just one situations. Ugh...
Old 07-11-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

When it's hot out, lemonade's better.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lady, fortunately most of the people I've run into have simply accepted it when I tell them "no thanks, i don't drink". Saying that phrase many times has also helped me to develop my "non-drinking identity". Too bad your neighbor didn't want to take 'no' for an answer!
Old 07-11-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know right.lol

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
When it's hot out, lemonade's better.
Exactly, thats what i think to.lol I have a Perrier, horray....
Old 07-11-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thats what i need...

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Lady, fortunately most of the people I've run into have simply accepted it when I tell them "no thanks, i don't drink". Saying that phrase many times has also helped me to develop my "non-drinking identity". Too bad your neighbor didn't want to take 'no' for an answer!
Yeah i know im going to run into people like him and people that dont know. Luckily ive also had people that ask and never ask again, but i have to remember theres going to be people like my neighbor...
Old 07-11-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Haven't had a drink in 7 years. And this still happens to me, it does get easier but honestly it never stops. Drinking is so engrained in our culture that saying "I don't drink" or "no thanks" almost seems to some as though you are being rude or rebuking their offer of friendship. Like I said it gets easier mainly because friends and family stop asking after a while but on a bad day, even after 7 years I dread hearing those words because it give me the option when I'm feeling down and I am terrified that one day I won't have the strength to say no. But my sobriety is first and foremost in my life so if I hurt some feelings over not having a drink...so be it.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

The longer and more often you say no helps you to believe it yourself eventually. In the early days when you say no to a drink in front of someone else you feel a bit like a fraud to yourself (or at least I did). But say it for a while and you do start to believe it yourself
Old 07-12-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing great Lady congrats on day 4

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

i hope these links help
Old 07-12-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on day 4, Lady3, and on making that decision to not take that first drink. Keep building those sober muscles!
Old 07-12-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Even at my age I have one friend who still peer pressure's me like we were in high school. And truth be told, I think he does it to take some of the guilt or attention off of himself.

But I get it, and good for you staying strong.