SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Can't cope without alcohol (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/371418-cant-cope-without-alcohol.html)

Harry02 07-11-2015 05:19 PM

Can't cope without alcohol

Had some days off the booze the past month after detoxing for 4 days. Heinsight/foot shoot, the time after completing my detox was far from suitable for someone in recovery so i relapsed and am now back to the daily grind of being an alcoholic. Better read some posts.

Dee74 07-11-2015 05:27 PM

I thought I couldn't cope without alcohol either Harry.

It took some time faith and patience and a real commitment to staying sober but I did it.

it's rough for a little while but it's a pretty good deal when you consider we drank for years.

It's important to have a support network tho.
What's yours like?

D

Elizabeth333 07-11-2015 05:27 PM

Hi - I drank for 30 years and thought there was no way I could exist without the drink - after losing almost everything - luckily not killing anyone - I found myself considering ending it all - until I looked into a child's eyes one early morning and knew that I had to live, really live. You can do this - there is nothing in a drink, except darkness and despair.

trachemys 07-11-2015 05:28 PM

Can't cope without alcohol
Bull****.

Soberwolf 07-11-2015 05:38 PM

Having a recovery plan really helps Harry

Hevyn 07-11-2015 06:31 PM

Harry, I never imagined life without it either. Like Elizabeth, I drank 30 yrs. It was part of everything I did. I failed to realize that the fun times had been over for a long time. In the end, I was just drinking so I wouldn't shake. It took me a while to stop feeling resentful, but my new life took over. I felt hope and joy again. You can get free Harry.

Anna 07-11-2015 06:32 PM

Harry, you absolutely can cope without alcohol.

The disease does that to us to keep us hooked at all cost. The truth is, we can cope, we can live and we can thrive without alcohol.

On The Road 07-11-2015 06:50 PM

(I) Can't cope WITH alcohol

dwtbd 07-11-2015 07:08 PM

Hope you are still reading posts, everyone had some really good points, especially trachs.

ScottFromWI 07-11-2015 07:14 PM

Welcome back Harry. Glad you are posting and reading. For an alcoholic, drinking is not "coping". It's actually just the opposite....its hiding and not facing life. Sobriety is actually coping...it is learning how to live life and face all of the things is throws at us in a healthy way. Hope we can help you form a plan to move forward.

ts808 07-11-2015 07:28 PM

No one said it was going to be easy but in the end it'll be worth it.

Girlie928 07-11-2015 08:43 PM

Harry, your ability to cope improves faster than you think it will.

mrjustin 07-12-2015 05:25 AM

Hi Harry, thats what I used to believe too. Now im 7.5 months sober and most days I dont even think about alcohol at all. Time heals, trust me it will for you too.

Elizabeth333 07-12-2015 05:31 AM

Not easy

Yes, no one said it would be easy - but the memory of myself, pouring vodka straight down my throat, hiding the bottle and staggering around till I fell down or bumped into something is so horrid:dee, sobriety is all I want to pursue and hold onto. I deserve it, my loved ones deserve it.

ccam1973 07-12-2015 05:40 AM

Harry, you can cope without alcohol. I think you know that you can but might not be sure how to get there.

You've got a good start here at SR. What's your plan, is this your only support group? To make this work, you've got to jump in with both feet, leave no room for your AV to win even for an instant. Any time you feel weak, kick your plan into action, if you start to falter, kick your back-up plan into gear. Stay close to this community, post often; you are not alone in this journey.

Realize that to get yourself better, drinking is not an option today.

This does take work, but I promise it gets easier and is totally worth the effort you will put in.

Harry02 07-12-2015 06:46 PM

I am sorry, I didn't mean to sound negative. I know a life without alcohol is much better and finding healthy coping mechanisms is the way forward. Just need to break that vicious circle. I'm feeling a bit p**sed off, my local key worker has not made any contact with me 3 weeks after my detox, I swear some people, who are paid to do a job, either don't understand, have no empathy or are just in it for the money.

PurpleKnight 07-13-2015 08:15 AM

Hang in there Harry, for me things got easier with time!!

You can do this!! :)

biminiblue 07-13-2015 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Harry02 (Post 5463574)
I am sorry, I didn't mean to sound negative. I know a life without alcohol is much better and finding healthy coping mechanisms is the way forward. Just need to break that vicious circle. I'm feeling a bit p**sed off, my local key worker has not made any contact with me 3 weeks after my detox, I swear some people, who are paid to do a job, either don't understand, have no empathy or are just in it for the money.

Then do it another way. I didn't have medical help, nor counseling. I went to AA meetings for four months, and I spent time here. It worked well.

I had to find healthier ways of dealing with my anger and resentment. My old ways weren't good for me.

This site works well, spend your time here reading.

Mountainmanbob 07-13-2015 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Harry02 (Post 5462077)
the time after completing my detox was far from suitable for someone in recovery so i relapsed

I also basically went home from detox more than once and had a drink in my hand in no time.

I have found that in the early stages of Recovery doing at least one AA meeting a day helps many not to take a drink on that day.

MM

zjw 07-13-2015 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Harry02 (Post 5463574)

Sometimes we cant wait for things to be how we want them to be we have to latch on to something that works and just go with it till things can be more ideal to our liking.

For example I started exercising a month in my elipitcal broke. i cried kicked and screamed. My wife says why not go for a walk. I screamed back I DONT WANNA GO FOR A WALK I WANNA USE THE ELIPICATAL RAAAAAAAAAR. I wanted it my way basicly and I figured unless it was my way i wouldnt bother with it then. I got over myself luckily and went for a walk grumbling along the way I then did that each day and lost over 100lbs. If i quit over that elipitcal I'd be in a heep of trouble.

Point is we dont always get it on our terms we gotta just go with the flow. Live life on lifes terms as they say and be ok with that.