Notices

Enter The Dragon (yeah, drinking)

Old 07-12-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I am reading along but doubt if I can post anything of value. Stratman: you write to get help and attention, you get both of course. And no, I dont know you and I have no idea what is ticking you off at the moment.
Drinking is not the solution and you know it. Freeowl has a point: cut the crap.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Plenty of options today Strat. Like other's have said, you know that drinking only masks reality, never eliminates it.

You've got to re-tune what you consider to be your options. Drinking only hurts you and keeps you in this self-defeating cycle.

Life is tough Strat, drinking doesn't help anything; not one good thing will come from putting that s**t into your body. But then again, you know all of this.

Be good to yourself today. Don't drink, we are here for you.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Stratman1 View Post
But you make it sound so easy, Scott! Anyway thats what I am doing- getting the water in. I achieved exactly what I set out to do, I caught a break. And well deserved too.

Think I got the dosage right. Alcohol wasn't my first choice btw. Tomorrow is another story so see what happens. Ideally I will opt for option B but, any other idea's folks?
Perhaps if you get a chance to read this response when you sober up today you will see the denial and addiction leading your thoughts. I hope you can come back and join us before things get really bad for you again.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

But you make it sound so easy, Scott! Anyway thats what I am doing- getting the water in. I achieved exactly what I set out to do, I caught a break. And well deserved too.

Think I got the dosage right. Alcohol wasn't my first choice btw. Tomorrow is another story so see what happens. Ideally I will opt for option B but, any other idea's folks?
Strat,

Most of your posts (although deeply heartbreaking when you describe your past and some terrible events) are coherent, intelligent and thoughtful.

This post is evidence of just how quickly alcohol interferes with healthy thought patterns and just quickly alcoholism can set us back and take over.

Alcohol is not an option for us, Strat; it is our poison.

Opt for what will do you no harm.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
quat

You really want to twist your reality and get out of your head for a break? Or just find a suitable excuse to drink? As for ideas , as nuts as cider for a break, how about something seemingly ridiculous as googling a meetup of say a bunch of Sunday crocheters, or birdwatchers or slow ambling walkers out to spot copper gutters? You may have a latent talent for tea cozies, it may be a dumb idea, but better then your plan A or B, and you know it , yes ?
Old 07-12-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Strat-I agree with Trach with getting in activity of some sort when you have cravings. I have found that once I get activity in, I feel better in many ways and it is good for you. Picking up alcohol, never leads to anything good nor does it solve anything. I can relate to what you are saying. There are days I am tired too and worn down by certain things and want a break. However, I've come to the realization that the relief alcohol gives is temporary and that the temporary reprieve by alcohol isn't worth it since the cravings are bear to deal with.

I also agree with dwbtd. You need to start building a life that doesn't give you a chance to drink since you're doing other things that are important to you.

Also, have you thought that maybe this is a pattern with you? I noticed with your first post, you had just gotten 6 months.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Think I got the dosage right.
Sounds like that leans towards moderation, having a measured dose. Perhaps I'm reading too much into that. Regardless we all know what the consensus is on moderation.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

"dosage? this is not medication - this is poison. this wasn't some social experiment you have been conducting"

Pretty straight forward right there.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hey Strat, this isn't your first rodeo so I am not going to lecture you. But it appears that something external is what is triggering you (correct me if I'm wrong).
You said "And it is certainly better than other peoples BS all the time which is what has defined my life. I cannot handle the stress anymore."

Can you do something about this? Is it possible to eliminate it? somehow? For example, in a marriage if one spouse is causing the other to drink out of control, they get a divorce. And in an ideal situation, by eliminating the spouse that is driving you to drink, you quit drinking. Just a thought man, I hope you check in today.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Day 1 again, ugh…

Hi guys. I was very optimistic about my plans for 'today', I forgot that laying in bed all day with a pounding head was the likely outcome. Yep, alcohol is definitely not a medicine that is true.

Why did I drink? It wasn't to 'party', the fact that the UFC was on was a bonus. Yes I have an interest but was fully expecting to be looking at the replay today instead of live here at crazy o'clock. As for music, I think I posted some- music has always been the main thing in my life so nothing new there.

I've been quite stressed recently and not sleeping much. The reasons are superflous to the fact somewhat as it is (once again) becoming a problem for me. I was exhausted. When I realised I wasn't going to be able get some rest over the weekend I decided that I needed to take something. Now as in the beginning when I started dealing with this (over half my life) alcohol was the only thing available for the task.

It's not an excuse- I walked for miles to get that drink in an agitated state and drank some the soonest moment I could (in a toilet). So, definitely no party here. Horrible cider too btw. Definitely I was going down the feeling self destructive & resentment route until Trachemy's asked me why I was drinking which made me think (and also feel like crap). But, I had one bottle down by then. I could have fell into a miserable sleep at that point but there was talk about the bout, the main card was about to come on and so I decided to stay up. I didn't get to sleep until 11 am today.

I definitely haven't fallen back in love with alcohol or anything, far from it. I hate it. Most of the time when I was a daily drinker I resented it, myself and the process of having to drink it. I don't know what else to say really. Day 1 again, ugh.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Glad your back, strat
Old 07-12-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Welcome back Strat,
In your corner man, you can do this. I'm certain you can pick up where you left off, and take this as a bump in the road of recovery.

Justin
Old 07-12-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thank you guys, definitely just a bump. I have appointments coming up soon which I have been desperately trying to hang in here for.

So I'm hoping I can commit myself fully to recovery then, all of it, with no stone unturned as alcoholism is the tip of the iceberg for me.

I am going to see if I can get them brought forward as they said last week they might but I said I would hang in here (out of politeness).

Some good points made in the thread that I skimmed over last night, I'm going to go through them tomorrow. Zzz time. Thank's to all
Old 07-12-2015, 08:55 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chickippo View Post
ugh, I'm so sorry to hear this. please, please be careful - especially with rotgut cider if you've been sober a while.

I have a laundry list of physical and mental health issues. I'm officially so broken I qualify as disabled. I live alone apart from my cat - my daughter left my home due to my drinking coming up on 2 years ago when she was 13. shortly after that, the husband and the home went the same way.

I'm coming up on 15 months sober. I'm sitting in my own little flat, watching TV with my now-15 year old daughter, who has been out all day and for dinner and is catching me up on all the gossip. she stays with me once a week now and we talk every day.

I'm not telling you this to boast or to make you feel bad. I'm telling you because I want you to know it can get better. it really can, and you deserve a peaceful life.

please be well, and stay close. people care. I care.
Sorry to comment out of place, but this is very touching
Old 07-12-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Good luck with your next move Strat, I hope you have a good plan to move forward.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:50 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have appointments coming up soon which I have been desperately trying to hang in here for.

So I'm hoping I can commit myself fully to recovery then, all of it, with no stone unturned as alcoholism is the tip of the iceberg for me

I appreciate that you might see it as the tip of the iceberg or even a secondary problem Strat - I think it's more fundamental than that tho....

If I read this right your idea is to drink til you get an appointment?

Drinking's not a coping strategy because a) we're not actually engaging with the problem, and b) we have no control over it.

You may end up with problems that make your current problems look miniscule.

Repercussions from your drinking could make your home life even more untenable for you, and it could affect your custody case.

Drinking certainly won;t help you with any of those long held issues. It's like pouring gasoline on open flame.

D
Old 07-12-2015, 09:50 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Sorry to read that you are struggling, Stratman. Hang in there. Whatever hullabaloo is going on irl, how about you hang out here?

Excellent points made by Dee. Wow.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:37 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you're alright and wishing you the best.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

thanks for checking in.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Do your best

Spot on D