Notices

Checking in, currently in outpatient treatment

Old 07-11-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in, currently in outpatient treatment

Hey, I haven't checked in for awhile. According to my sober app on my phone I have been ETOH free for 7 days. I decided that after my last couple attempts at "controlled" drinking, I am not in control; nor will I ever be. The last week in June when my wife went out of state for a family visit with the kids, I stayed home because of work stuff. I ended up going to my best friends house and drank myself into oblivion. I was so drunk, I blacked out and apparently grabbed his girlfriends boobs (he was passed out at the time). I was absolutely mortified because that's not me. He hasn't spoken to me since.
Friday, July 3rd there was a huge block party in the town I live. My wife was being a real bitch that day, so I used that as an excuse to get wasted while she and my daughter were at this event. I left them stranded and was to drunk to drive, so she got a ride and took the kid's (who were crying) and spent the night at her sister's house. I am so ashamed of what I did and who I become when I drink. I started a 6 month outpatient treatment for vets. I struggle with depression and PTSD. I am hopeful and feel positive about this program. There is accountability, like drug testing and breathalyzer's in place, so you just can't do what you want at home and show up at group. You will get booted for using. Anyway, I have already started the program. This is literally my last chance. I want to be whole and healthy. I just had to share.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, we've all done some pretty dumb things to drink and during the drunkenness. But, out of them all it's the not being there for the family during times of need that hurt the most.
I'm glad to hear that you're changing your life around.
Like me, some day you'll look back and be glad that alcohol is no longer in your life.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on taking that big step into treatment. Takes a lot of courage to ask for help.

I've known a number of men who have gone through treatment at the closest VA hospital here and have come through it much happier and in recovery. Wishing you the best today and hope you'll check in often.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's hard to look back at the things we did while drinking, but hopefully you can make peace with the past and move on. It sounds like you're in a good program and that you know you need to make this change.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job on taking some action. I see you are in Minnesota too. There is a huge block party every weekend during our brief stint we call summer, right? Hang in there man and I wish you the best.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It seems like there's a beer garden in every town. Go Twins!
Old 07-11-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're going to be fine! It comes across in your words.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're getting the help you need to get sober for good.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats