Notices

First message and would appreciate some support.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First message and would appreciate some support.

Right, here goes...
Only my first two days of sobriety but I've home detoxed a few times. The usual shakes, night sweats, sleeplessness and anxiety. So miserable.
I'm just at my wits end though. I'm on the brink of losing my job, pushed away so many friends and my partner is begging me every morning and evening to have a " good day".
This is all for one thing that is slowing (probably not so slowly) killing me.
It has come to a head just now as I fell down the stairs whilst drunk and am black and blue down my back and bum because of it.
If anyone can give me advice, or just a few words of support for the first few days I would be so greatful.
Thank you. x

Last edited by RedRose87; 07-11-2015 at 06:47 AM. Reason: I spelt a word wrong in the title- posting from my phone.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, RedRose.

This is a great place for you to be.

Things will never improve unless you drop alcohol altogether--but then you'll see that they will improve. Little by little, but definitely.

Do your detoxing under a doctor's supervision.

Hang around on here and read people's stories. You'll see that other people are in the same boat as you--and other people have "made it" out of alcohol's grip.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hey Rose. Most here have been where you are. It's uncomfortable but it will save your life to quit drinking.

All you have to do is not take that first drink. When you do feel like having the first one, come on here and ask if you can have it.

There's 140,000 people here to help you.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Redrose!

That is pretty serious that you fell down the stairs. I am glad you are all right. One of the things that has always helped me with getting sober is that even when it's tough, knowing that if I don't pick up again, I never have to go through this again.

Also, if you go to the newcomer's thread, there is a 24 hour thread in which you can commit yourself to being sober for 24 hours. I have found that thread to be very helpful.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

There's also the Weekender thread that we have every weekend to help stay sober.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-9-until.html
Old 07-11-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just remember how you feel now, and realize you never have to feel that way again.
Easy to say, but it's been keeping me sober for four years. That, and reading posts like yours help keep me sober.
I always feel for the Newcomer. I know all the horrors of the alcoholic. And I was a bad one.
Sending good thoughts your way, and I hope you stick around to read and post.
Best to you.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! The 24 hour recovery connections thread is in Daily Support forum. There is the class of July you might like posting in, that's in newcomers forum.

Getting sober is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm in the UK and although I do have free healthcare (which is amazing in terms of quality), the waiting lists are a bit of a nightmare. I tend to find home detox easier as well.
I'm on the waiting list for CBT to deal with the underlying issues but its so nice to find a forum that has this kind of community. x
Old 07-11-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rose, I'm glad you posted and that you are ready to stop drinking.

We do understand how hard this is.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just be sober for today. You can do that and we are all here for support. Post as often as you can. The support here is amazing and just sharing your fears, emotions, anxiety with this group really helps. Welcome aboard!
Old 07-11-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on day 2, RedRose87. Someone else has already mentioned it, but I highly suggest joining and actively participating in the Class of July 2015 thread found on this same forum. It's a great way to learn from and help others who are in early recovery. My own class (May 2015) has been one of the cornerstones of my recovery this time (day 65 now.)

Wishing you the best today. Stay active here, it's a huge help!
Old 07-11-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the best decision you ever made. Why not join us on the 24 hour thread. All you need is a desire to not drink for the next 24 hours. That's it! We'd love to have you.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-67-a.html
Old 07-11-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi & Welcome RedRose youl find tons of support here nice to meet you
Old 07-11-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, Rose. Ah - the injuries. My last drinking injury was a broken toe.

That will be my last drink injury.

Hang in - it's the best decision you'll ever make.

There is a lot of info online about CBT, so you can find books and articles to read while you wait for your appointment.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the messages, I ve posted in the 24 hour thread. My friend has just announced she is coming over, any links I can give her to understand? She is a nurse but I'm still not sure she will understand. Genuinely I have hit rock bottom and need help. x
Old 07-11-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Hi Rose, so glad you are here.
Just try taking it one day at a time...slow and steady.
You can do it.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedRose87 View Post
Thanks for the messages, I ve posted in the 24 hour thread. My friend has just announced she is coming over, any links I can give her to understand? She is a nurse but I'm still not sure she will understand. Genuinely I have hit rock bottom and need help. x
Glad your here and glad ya have someone coming over. What does she need to understand?
You probably needed help years ago. I hope and pray you WANT help, WANT to stop drinking, and WANT to do whatever is necessary for that to happen.
I'd suggest looking into the different recovery programs available. Personally I got into AA a few years ago. I no longer loathe myself. No longer hate life. I'm no longer just existing. I haven't drank since and no longer have the craving, compulsion, or obsession to drink. It no longer exists and life has been something beyond my wildest dreams.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm 28 and have been an alcoholic for 10 years. Two half bottles a day for the last 5 years. x
Old 07-11-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here, welcome.
We come from different places and different backgrounds but we all have a common thread. We cannot tolerate alcohol, et al.

There is a solution if we truly are ready and desire change.

Thanks for the post, you are not alone
Old 07-11-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Red Rose! We're so glad to have you here with us. We all understand how you're feeling - and we promise things will get better.