Notices

6 days in

Old 07-10-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 days in

Hi there, I'm Shay!
I'm a 29 yr old female from Australia, I have been heavily drinking now for about 10 or so years. Alcoholism runs in my family and I have fallen into the horrible trap. The reason I have quit is I have some major health problems and if I was to continue on the path I was on I would surely be dead in a couple of years. This is about the 5th time I have tried to give up alcohol for good and hope I can stick to it this time. But I have no idea what to expect. I was wondering if anyone cold please describe the first few months and the effects of 'detox' and what your body and mind go through, some helpful hints on books or forums, support groups, that might help me on my journey through unchartered waters. I feel absolutely terrible I'm tired, grumpy and feel all dryed out, my eyes sting, I can't sleep some nights and I'm sad as I am going to have to cut my family out of my life for a while as they are all alcoholics themselves. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you
Shay
Old 07-10-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi & Welcome Shay
Old 07-10-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shay - welcome

I think it's a slightly different process for each of us, but you should start to feel a little better after a week...of course that's when the real work starts because you start thinking you might take a drink again.

I always say the two big areas to look at are making lifestyle changes...what you do and who you do it with...and finding support.

You'll find a lot of support and good ideas here.

Look at the posts at the top of this forum and you'll see a reading list
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rituality.html

you'll also see a great link there on making a recovery plan
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

check out our 'Class of July' support thread too

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-2-a-7.html

D
Old 07-10-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

The stingy eyes should stop soon, I didn't have the dried out feeling so I can't offer any advice on that

The sleeplessness is very common shay - it took me a couple of months and some exercise before I slept well

As Dee says you will feel better soon which is both a good thing, obviously but also can be dangerous as you feel that you can drink again (it happened that way with me).

By and large nothing really bad happens to people who quit alcohol - just some initial discomfort.

Congratulations on 6 days
Old 07-10-2015, 11:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Shay15! I'm glad you found us here.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and well done on 6 days, you may well be through the hardest physical part, hope so, if not should be very soon.

xx
Old 07-11-2015, 03:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, I'm on day 6 myself. Still experiencing itchiness, restless sleep and sore joints. But appetite and gastro have returned to normal. Hang in there!
Old 07-11-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, Shay15. I second Dee's suggestion to join the Class of July 2015 thread here in this same forum. There is a better way of life waiting for you here in recovery. Wishing you the best today!
Old 07-12-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Shay!!