SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Blackout (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/371337-blackout.html)

lilbean 07-10-2015 05:18 AM

Blackout

I bought the book off Amazon and got it yesterday. I was awake at 2am tossing and turning, and started reading it until I finished around 5am. Everything she said in the book was me to a tee, except I am divorced with 2 kids.

I found myself crying at the end, because I'm just beginning the journey and there seems to be so much pain, loneliness and hard work ahead to get to a happier place. It gave me hope though and that's what I need right now. I would highly recommend the book.

doggonecarl 07-10-2015 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by lilbean (Post 5459848)
I'm just beginning the journey and there seems to be so much pain, loneliness and hard work ahead to get to a happier place.

The reward at journey's end is worth the effort.

HeartsAfire 07-10-2015 05:27 AM

It's an absolutely fabulous book - I can't say enough about - highly recommend it. I too finished it in 1 day.

I met Sarah at a book signing in Dallas. She's absolutely delightful.

DoubleDragons 07-10-2015 05:52 AM

I read it, too, in one day. Loved it!!

ScottFromWI 07-10-2015 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by lilbean (Post 5459848)
I found myself crying at the end, because I'm just beginning the journey and there seems to be so much pain, loneliness and hard work ahead to get to a happier place. It gave me hope though and that's what I need right now. I would highly recommend the book.

Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely check it out. I am glad that it gave you hope, because the hard work is really worth it to get to sobriety.

Alynn 07-10-2015 07:19 AM

Thank you for sharing. This journey is worth it. I'm 148 days in and I'm beginning to see just how blinded I was by alcohol. Sober boots was a good book also!

Ileana 07-10-2015 07:51 AM

Have you read "Drinking a Love Story" by Caroline Knapp. That book was as good as gold to me when I stopped drinking. I will have to read Blackout.

RevivingOphelia 07-10-2015 08:09 AM

This book was just as good as Knapp's. She is a wonderful writer. Devoured this book in two days.

FreeOwl 07-10-2015 08:43 AM

I haven't read the book but I can say that my first year in sobriety was tough in a lot of ways but it wasn't about pain and loneliness.

Hard work to be sure.

And SO worth it!!

I'll get this book, sounds like a must-read.

Arbor 07-10-2015 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by doggonecarl (Post 5459854)
The reward at journey's end is worth the effort.

Practice living in the moment. It's the journey that's reward enough not the destination.

Soberwolf 07-10-2015 09:22 AM

Nice to meet you glad the book gave you so much

sva777 07-10-2015 10:59 AM

Just got the book, I look forward to reading another person journey.

Lovesunrises 07-10-2015 01:33 PM

I just finished the book last night. The part that really got me thinking to me was when she discovered in the end that "alcohol was not a cure for pain; it was merely a postponement". That statement really put things into perspective for me.

time4changeinWI 07-10-2015 04:49 PM

I downloaded it off of Audible and listened to it while I was at work for the past two days. The book struck me to the core. The part that really struck a chord with me was as drinkers we want to hit the brick wall and go through it unscathed. I hit that brick wall. I'm hurting. I realized I needed to change.

I was shocked at how much I felt a connection to the arrested development of emotions. I see that in myself. I need to feel the range of feelings in myself rather than masking it with alcohol.

To be honest, I identified with a lot of what she said in the book. Some of the storylines may be different, but I really felt we shared some of the same experiences with alcohol and shrugging it off. Well, it's time not to shrug it off anymore.

Soberween 07-10-2015 10:56 PM

I'm reading Blackout now. It's a good book, but Drinking: A Love Story is my favorite. I loved Carolyn Knapp's writing style. So sad that she died so young. She beat the drink, but not the cigarette.

Hevyn 07-11-2015 12:46 PM

Thanks lilbean - I have it ordered. Was wondering about it - she got excellent reviews.

Debbie329 07-11-2015 03:18 PM

Yeah it's a great book.....I'm reading it for the second time.

soberclover 07-11-2015 04:40 PM

I had this book tagged to read but will bump it up as "next" on my need to read list...thank you for the share!

Dharma33 07-11-2015 05:11 PM

I'm going to pick it up, too- thanks for the tip!!! I love memoirs about recovery.

Knapp's book was great, I agree. My favorite and what resonated so much with me was "Lit" by Mary Karr. I've probably read it 4 times (see my signature quote)!

Verte 07-11-2015 07:13 PM

Thanks for the book recommendation, lilbean. This afternoon I had a few spare hours and started to read the first chapters. Boy did it bring back a bunch of memories stuffed in there. Mostly at this point I am reminded of the now undeniable heart ache for all the friendships (or potential friendships) burned through while on my delusional winning spree. Today is a new day.

Next up will be Mary Karr's book. Thanks for that Dharma, as well. I also agree with the positive reviews of Caroline Knapp's book which I read well before I made the commitment to stop the drink. Right after her book, I read her friend's...both brought quite a few tears. It is all good.