Notices

What was the last selfless, helpful thing you did?

Old 07-10-2015, 03:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Great question Troy! If we ask it everyday then maybe we leave the house with a different point of view right?

You are basically asking if there is still hope in this angry world. YES. Yes there is.

I am big on making sure people are not hungry. I bring food to others when I cook for myself. Of course now I seemed to have created a bunch of food critics but no bother.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I try to help newcomers and at the end of yesterdays meeting took aside one who had the look of wonder during the meeting and explained about the first drink and accepting my alcoholism. In part I explained how to listen and not compare and what keep coming meant to me. It Took only a few minutes and he thanked me with an appreciation handshake.

BE WELL
Old 07-10-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

A friend of mine had hand surgery so could not do many things. I washed her hair for her as well as cleaned her house, took out the trash, went grocery shopping for her and made out some checks. I personally did not think it was a biggie, but she sure did.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stratman1 View Post
The answers to your question Adante are as follows:

True, false, both true and false, neither true nor false.

Anybody here know the name of that equation btw?

I believe that is called the Liar's Paradox
Old 07-10-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Realising my life

I've just started volunteering as a 'tutor' to adults with learning disabilities. It's extremely rewarding so though it's not paid, it's not really selfless!
Old 07-10-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ileana View Post

I believe that is called the Liar's Paradox
The Liar's Paradox doesn't include all of them from what I read.

I was trying to find this out recently for some reason, why I ask.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Do your best

The last selfless thing i done was around 45 mins ago made a cup of tea for mrs sw & gave her a massage
Old 07-10-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Taught my 72 year old father now to avoid constantly getting viruses on his computer, and got rid of his newest one.

Let my friends kids (age 5 and 7) come over play with our dog until they were all dog tired(pun intended).

Let an a friend borrow some equipment/tools for a home project he's tackling this weekend.

Invited a couple over (who are in a down period in their life) for tomorrow's neighborhood party on the beach. Hope it will lift their spirits for a day anyway.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Great question Troy! If we ask it everyday then maybe we leave the house with a different point of view right?
Thanks! And yes, you're completely right.

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
You are basically asking if there is still hope in this angry world. YES. Yes there is.
Honestly, not so much. I was actually just reflecting on my own actions, then thought of everyone I knew back home, then compared that to my current Asian neighbors. I was just wondering how other Westerners compared, and it looks like pretty good.

I'm sorry though, but I have to say, I think the Asians have us beat hands down when it comes to building a society. It struck me, I'm probably viewed as some selfish Westerner. They've all been beyond friendly and generous, and I haven't really done much of anything.

Ok, I did like you do one time -- I cooked a huge batch of Chinese beef & broccoli stir-fry, and handed it around, which seems to have went over well. Nonetheless, that's nothing compared to what they've done for me, and they don't think anything of it. That's just the way things work here.

They realize a community is only as strong as its weakest link, so for example, there are no homeless people here. You can go anywhere in this country, and you will not see a homeless person sleeping on the sidewalk.

Not sure what the point of this is. Need to put myself out there, and help more, I guess. Get myself involved more.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Took a homeless vet from hospital to where he needed to go. I took his knife from him before I let him in my car, made him keep his hands visible to me. He was sweet. I dropped him off and gave him his knife back. My husband wasn't happy about it. But I would do it again. "What you do for the least of men ........."
Old 07-11-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I just got back from my Saturday eve volunteer shift: working at the Homeless Check in Center at my church
Old 07-11-2015, 10:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I just try to be respectful in my daily life. This includes opening doors for people, saying please and thank you, letting people in in traffic, etc.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Little things , lately there's been a rash of "paying it forward" type stuff, where you pay at a drive thru for either someone's order behind or in front of you , tollbooths, been the recipient of same it's nice
I look around at store parking lots when I replace my cart and ask women if I can take theirs back too, I know sexist
Stopped at a roadside lemonade stand , and didn't even bitch when the little salesman " forgot" to make change
Lol--I felt ripped off by one of those lemonade stands this summer--so much ice but I was hot and thirsty. I asked how much a refill was-- it was the same price lol.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I took a bag of food to a guy that frequents my community center gym's sauna. He told me he was out of work due to health reasons and sometimes goes without eating for days. He lives in his van right now and has a gorgeous white collie. He's kind of eccentric and picky about what he eats too-- won't eat anything with corn syrup- so I made sure everything didn't have that in it. I also told him some places you can dive food that I knew of when I was dumpster diving.
I adopted a wolf for my Mom for her upcoming birthday :-)
Went through clothes and set apart some Disney shirts and purses I didn't want for my recently divorced sister in law and her daughter who also love Disney . It was hard to let go of them but didn't need them all. Great thread!