Administrator

Class of July 2015 Part 2

continues from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2015-a-20.html

D
Old 07-09-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi jamesadams and others,

No, dont want to go to a doctor. I have been trough this before and actually do a yearly liver scan ... it was fine last summer. God,sounds a bit bad yes ?

hmm, my parents are allright . My dad hates that my mum drinks, but he drinks himself.
My mother just drinks and enjoys life more than him, and feel no shame for her drinking. We used to drink together a lot, and encouraged for 1 more , 1 more , 1 mooooore come'on ! We get along fine really.
my aunt, her sister , cant be beaten drinking rose .... no chance! And on holiday she starts at breakfast with some white bubbly wine, cause its holiday. ... We judge and feel superior, since we only start around lunch and then join her. Again, you wouldnt know this if you see us.

So everyone here is new to not drinking since this month ?
Old 07-09-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not my real name.

Originally Posted by isabelles View Post
No, dont want to go to a doctor. I have been trough this before and actually do a yearly liver scan ... it was fine last summer. God,sounds a bit bad yes ?
Hehe, I meant for the withdrawal symptoms rather than your liver, I just know my experience and it was not fun. Obviously do whatever you think is best for you.

Originally Posted by isabelles
my aunt, her sister , cant be beaten drinking rose .... no chance! And on holiday she starts at breakfast with some white bubbly wine, cause its holiday. ... We judge and feel superior, since we only start around lunch and then join her.
I don't see my parents that often, my Dad used to start drinking at 5:00pm on the dot. Cause any earlier than that well you had a problem right? Only alcoholics drank during the day time. Unfortunately last time I saw him he was making excuses to go to the pub for lunch everyday, and of course once at the pub you have to have a beer right? Another reason I want to quit, I can see the downward slide in him and don't want to follow in those footsteps.

Originally Posted by isabelles
So everyone here is new to not drinking since this month ?
Every month they start a new class. So this is June's class. Different people stopped at different times during the month, I'm only on day 1, haven't made it through the day yet, but I certainly intend to.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesAdams View Post
Hehe, I meant for the withdrawal symptoms rather than your liver, I just know my experience and it was not fun. Obviously do whatever you think is best for you
aha! What withdrawal symptoms ? I just thought you worried about my liver.. So do I once in a while
Old 07-09-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

agreed on the parents thing. I dont see mine often since i live here, 2300kms further. When mum comes on holiday, jippie. Wine wine and she pays for my mojitos. When dad comes, I count the days cause I cant drink much when he is here.... when he leaves, major binge !
Old 07-09-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not my real name.

Originally Posted by isabelles View Post
aha! What withdrawal symptoms ?
Racing heart, sweats, shakes, dizziness, paranoia, anxiety, insomnia etc. If I drank how much you drank and quit cold turkey that is what would happen to me!
Old 07-09-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

the last 3 are in my DNA anyhow, drinking makes me sleep the rest, absolutely no idea what you are talking about . So I should feel something tomorrow then, today I still have something in my system for sure. Let's see.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not my real name.

Good luck for tomorrow then!
Old 07-09-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone-- Day 5 for me. I feel like I'm sleeping decently, but I'm sooo tired in the morning, like I could sleep much more. But its off to work!

There are so many wonderful people here! I haven't been able to reply directly much, but please know I'm getting so much out of everyones' posts.

I read a lot thoughout the work day, but dont log in. I'm pretty sure no one monitors internet activity, but who knows?

I'll check in tonight. Strength and peace to all-- we can do this! Welcome to all the new people!
Old 07-09-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Lots of great posts to read this morning, thank you. So good to see everyone making it through another day and welcome to the newcomers. For anyone reading this who is starting over or thinking of starting over please post and let us help you. No judgement here. We're all in this together.

Day 6 here. Yesterday it was easy to not want to drink as my baby was sick all day and had a fever. Funny how the AV knows when to back off. Why is it so easy staying sober when you know drinking isn't an option?? When I was pregnant or whenever my little ones are sick I have no desire to drink. It feels so good for time being and then the AV rears it's ugly head. Although yesterday was stressful with worrying about my baby it was very peaceful not having to battle my AV.

Good luck today everyone and I look forward to reading all of your posts xxxx
Old 07-09-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome to the newcomers and congrats to all on making another day in recovery

My advice is to start treating that voice like you would a toddler throwing a tantrum.

Don't engage with it, or answer it back - it has nothing of value to share with you.

The less you 'feed' it, the weaker it becomes

D
This is great Dee, thanks. I have a 5 yo so I know all about tantrums
Old 07-09-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Olivia, very sorry to hear your aunt, but you are handling it well. Sounds like your aunt is going to need you and you can be there for her much better if you are sober. Keep it up, you're doing great!!
Old 07-09-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lots of good posts here. Am looking forward to today, finally having more energy to get things done and maybe do something fun for a change later on. Wishing all success today!
Old 07-09-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi on day 5, finally feel a little at peace with myself, enough to post more than a few words anyway.

I opened the floodgates on vacation. Spent the week after vacation binging at home alone. So my last SR home was June 2015, where I accumulated 20 days or so. I'm a frequent flyer on SR, but always parachute off when things start to go smoothly. One of these times the parachute isn't gonna open.

atm I'm rested with a clear head & I've got some good coffee. (end on a positive)
Old 07-09-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesAdams View Post

Racing heart, sweats, shakes, dizziness, paranoia, anxiety, insomnia etc. If I drank how much you drank and quit cold turkey that is what would happen to me!
Heh, I hooked myself up to a heart monitor at work the other night. Was worried I had thrown myself into an arrhythmia. All is good, just a few PVCs (can still feel them happening) which can occur to anyone for a variety of reasons. Mine were just probably binge induced. Hope they go away soon.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Feeling too low to post myself today. Days are going so slow. Stupid 4 again. Sitting with painful arm and such regret. Dont want to talk to or see anyone. Feel bad about tearing up in front of kids who deserve so much better. Welcome to those on the thread starting today!
Old 07-09-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi, I'd like to join you all. I'm ready to get off this merry go round of drinking and trying to quit for good.
Day 2. I'm about to go dump the rest of the beer and cigarettes I can find.
I plan to sit down and work on my plan today. It works for a while but I need more options.
I look forward to getting to know you all.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mornin everyone! All these posts are great.

The post sticking out in my mind the most since yesterday is Isabelles. Isabelles, that's ALOT to drink as you say. I'm so glad you realize this. I love the younger ones trying to get a handle on their drinking now. It doesn't get better. It progressively, really progressively gets worse! If you can handle a bottle of Bacardi now just think where you 'll be in future years. (Like you said). Let me fast forward you 20 years. The GI problems are getting to me, my stomach, throat and esophagus were hurting pretty badly. Alcohol adds to cancer forming in ALL areas of your body. My heart was even hurting (I think). It thins your heart making it not pump properly, thereby heart failure. Bob made a good list of problems in earlier post. The average drunk takes off 20 years of their lives. I don't want to die at 70 when my family has long longevity into their 90s. A doctor told my dad alcohol is alcohol. I'm a wino. I do like vodka tho and avoid it. Nothing like a dry martini or a flavored one for prolly the ultimate booze buz anyway. Oh well, might as well pour gasoline down your throat as mentioned by someone and myself earlier. It's easier than I would have thought to consume half (or better) a bottle of vodka. I always avoided it like heroin or something (a little dramatic, yes). I'm a wino. Wine even catches up with you. I'm amazed how badly. I think u said your looks are still real good. That's great but don't let that fool you. My skin still looks great. No fine lines yet (a few crows feet but not bad). Outward appearances can hold up (SAMs Vitamin E moisturizer, satin pillow case - good for facial skin and hair sliding easily instead of pulling, remove makeup before you get too tanked, etc). BUT, your insides will fail WAY before their time. Looking back from this angle I sure wish I'd have done something sooner. My stuff is just starting to start so I'm gonna do something about it now. It's never too late to live happily ever after! And... Don't quit trying before the miracle happens (thanks Casey!). All this is meant for you and everyone else, especially the young ones and there's a lot of smart young ones out there realizing where this is going if they don't get a handle on it.

My granddaughter coming so I have to get going. Solid rain in MO so doing stuff inside trying to catch up my business (which I did nicely last night....sober) and playing with the most beautiful child. Do I want to see her grow up? heck yea! The joy of my life. She's here and she just said she wants ice cream.... The mint kind! She's 3-1/2. I tell her to speak and she barks, I say "louder" and she barks louder! It's really cute. Sounds like child abuse but it's nothing like that. Her other g'ma has dogs (I lost mine, miss him so (died, was old with diabetes too) We both get a good laugh! And... She gets what she wants out of g'ma! She was just panting and flailing her arms! She is sooooo funny!

Martina. - congrats on 10 days. You were one of the first people I "followed" on here. You're a really good inspiration. One (or two maybe) short slips (who's counting!!) and you've been here since April (and then some). I've always admired you. amazing how ice cream settles the AV isn't it! The pj thing is right up my ally. Also the bath thing. How's that new bath these days! My bath used to include reading mystery/suspense novels (Coben, Cromwell, Scottoline, Baldaccie, patterson, Michael Palmer was a great doctor addictive thriller writer but has passed - has great books tho). Now my reading includes SR and recovery books!

Sometime wrote a great post and said it was long, WT maybe? Great post lots of good stuff. Never too long as long as it as pertinent good stuff in it.

Letitgo - frozen actual yogurt. My daughter does that. I will have to do that as u so get the probiotics from the yogurt! Great idea Just reading about freezing blueberries in almond milk. Another good idea. No, not Iowa. The home of the Gateway Arch! MIssouri! Nice to meet u too. I can relate to drinking when ill (think that was something u said). Good luck to u and all of us.

Bob. - GI probs. I'm into my Nutribullet. Ginger, pineapple, peppermint, licorice, avocado, cherries, turmeric, curcumin, all berries bananas honey walnuts flax Chia green tea cacao and more. Can't hurt can it? Even if u don't use a bullet you can eat all of this. Avoid alcohol as u know huge contributor to probs! Above all good to remove stomach bacteria.

Anyway, now I can say sorry for long post. Everyone today had great posts. I guess I should take notes cause I'm out of brain right now!

Take care everyone. Have a sober day! My granddaughter got here a few minutes ago so I'm gonna go give her my quality time. Now she just came in with Raisin Bran. Always grazin! There were times when she'd say Wake Up G'ma, G'ma Wake Up! The love of my life!

Keep on keepin on.! I think I need to get SR on my laptop. I bought a 99 cent app on my App Store but it's a little tedious on my iPhone even if I type fast. Correcting the typos is a biotch !

Olivia
Old 07-09-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Woke up day 4.
Feel like CRAP. Hopeful this passes. Foggy headed, depressed. Whirling head. Bleh! Go away
Yup, yup and yup! Any anxiety yet? That's the one that always triggers me to drink. But I've fought through it this time and eventually it leads me to crying it out. So I've had crying bouts the last two mornings but it's a hell of a lot better than drinking! I know I drink to numb out the emotions so the next few weeks, months, years are going to be full of emotion.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 6: Getting closer to feeling physically better, I hope. My head is still swimming most of the time, but I'm not sure how much of that is related to everyday stress and how much is really about recovery-related issues.

Getting sober has the unfortunate side effect of making you face all of your responsibilities head on and actually work on them when you don't want to. I spent a lot of years doing the bare minimum and turning to drink when things got at all rough...Shame isn't going to help now, though, just got to keep moving.

Good luck today, everyone! If you find yourself thinking "I think I could have just one today," remember this forum and kill that line of thought!