Notices

Holiday Edition Stay sober Weekender July4 Pt 2

Old 07-08-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Not Tonight, Deer...

Here's our Pooch looking out the Master BR Door in Winter at what we call his 'Girlfriends'. When we say that word, he goes scrambling for the nearest Glass Door or Window to take a long, excited look. When his Feet get to flyin' on the Stained, Polished Concrete Floor, it's some hilarity right out of a Saturday Morning Cartoon.

For Solar Ingress, and for best Dog visibility, I flipped a bunch of rectangular Windows to vertical on the House South side. He can look out all of them, since the Sills are ~2' off the Floor.
- 'Hungry Like The Wolf' ~ Duran Duran -

Old 07-08-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Saoutchik, I hope your ankle is feeling better.

I think I get the bad Candy reference. Wasn't that the character who went back to school? I only saw it once.

Weas, you sound revving to go. How is your week of busy-ness going?

Kids are going to museum on a field trip. Hopefully my son doesn't wander off as he does when I take him.

The raccoons were far more scared of me than I was of them. No running from them. I was more nervous of the curious squirrel. He kept coming closer despite me shooing him. Half heartedly. I was curious to see what it would do.

Time to get ready. Have a safe trip for your demo gettingsmarter.

Learningagain, you will be ready for Florida!
Old 07-08-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Ruby - thanks! I think I will be ready. Not traveled out of Ohio in years, and in the last decade all trips have been to the UK to visit family, so as long as I got on the plane I was set.

My parents are flying in from the UK, and me and son down from OH, so it is just coordinating hotels in Tampa, cars down the coast to actual destination. Of course me and son arrive in Tampa at 9am, and my parents at 7pm, so going to have to find something to do in Tampa with son. Hotel for overnight in Tampa has a pool, so might just hang out there.

Son and I need to leave home at 3am to get to airport in time for flight - what moron planned this??!!! Oh yes, me! My son is infamous for not being a morning person! I weighed up a direct flight (at 6am - only one) versus a connection, and went this route, which I will probably regret!

Today I really have nothing I have to do, which is nice, although there is a lot I should do!
Old 07-08-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I feel like I stepped off of the bus for just a moment and when I turned around there is a whole new bus!

Day off today!
As I lay in bed not sleeping in I started making a list of things I want to accomplish today.
The first thing is to get a run in with the dog before the heat comes back!

Old 07-08-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
...holds the key

GS....hope everything goes well with the training. I didn't realize your company got bought out. Hope you're alright.

LA....I'm all about direct flights. Too many delay issues with connections.....I'm sure you made the right choice.

Ouch Sao hope it isn't a sprain.

Have a good day y'all!
Old 07-08-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Learning, your trip sounds great. I'm sure you'll enjoy the day with your son, relaxing by the pool sounds good.
today is 17 months...I feel relieved that I'm not joining my friends in Las vegas. Just made that decision yesterday. They drink-it would be too difficult. Could easily set me back to day 1.
Ruby, it's true, we are doing this. 19 months, 17 months, 6 months, whatever, is just awesome and we need to give ourselves credit. It sure hasn't been easy. But we are doing it together.
well, I'm going to try to do an honest days work today. See you all later.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Those raccoon pics are so cute, Ruby

Mesa, I can imagine Da Pooch slippin' and slidin' across the floor to look out the window I love to see them do that. Lucy slides like that when we toss her animals across the room for her to chase. She has it perfected. She somehow knows how to slow down when she's approaching the wall or an object. Beagles win dog show agility contests. She amazes me sometimes.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Good luck and best wishes, Gettingsmarter.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Learning, enjoy your vacay

And Olive, enjoy your day off
Old 07-08-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Yay HaF 17 months is a grand feat!! I'll stay safe and low key with you. Safety in numbers.

I'm sad because I saw a small dead raccoon in the street right by my house as I turned the corner. Probably one of last night's crew. I wish people would slow down by my house.

Have fun Olive!

Mr. Ruby has been sending pics of a new refrigerator that looks to be what I want and for a very good price. I may be getting a fridge this week.

Learningagain, pool sounds good. Maybe see if there is an aquarium or small museum nearby
Old 07-08-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thanks Brynn and SoberP selling my company is a good thing. I'll be fine. I think even positive change can be a bit stressful. Now I can move on with my life. All good.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 17 months HaF

Never let it be said that London's parking authorities are showing anything less than maximum dedication
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2015-07-08 17.38.50.jpg (36.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-08-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Happy to hear positive changes are happening GS!

That's sad about the raccoon Ruby. They get to be part of the neighborhood and I hate to see them get hit like that.

Sao...not sure what I'm looking at in that pic??
Old 07-08-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Congratulations on 17 months HaF

Never let it be said that London's parking authorities are showing anything less than maximum dedication
Old 07-08-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

From the article LB posted -

Neighbor Michael Parks looked out his window when he heard screaming Monday and saw Lee on the ground at the edge of his lawn. He called 911 when he noticed she was wounded.

He said he believes the raccoons that attacked are the same ones that have been in the area since he moved there 17 years ago.

“They have babies and they grow up, ” Parks said. “There’s just kind of a continuous family of them.”

He said the animals are sometimes violent toward each other, but have never attacked humans to his knowledge.

“They just hang around here,” Parks said. “They come around and a couple of us in the neighborhood feed them.”
What the Actual??

Who wants raccoons in their neighborhood? Ugh. We have a lady who feeds the Canada geese. That's bad enough. Last year we had a litter of coyotes just across the river, and every time there was a siren - so like six times a day - the little coyotes would yip and howl for five minutes. The lady was feeding THEM too.

I don't get it. Why feed predatory animals? The lady even has cats that she lets out. I've known a couple people whose cats have been killed by raccoons.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It's a hearse being picked up and put on a trailer. I assume there is no coffin in it but you never know
Old 07-08-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Oh, Congrats, HAF!

I had a dream last night that I went to Vegas and drank, and then I had to come back here and confess. Vegas. I kinda miss it - but not the 24/7 drunk. Too many people there with too much money, I hardly ever bought a drink there.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Yeah, I've heard raccoons do kill cats. They look cute I guess, but I'd be wary of them.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Mesa "flipping a bunch of windows from rectangular to vertical" that sounds like quite a big deal to me. I'm glad your pooch appreciates it.

Bim, I occasionally see foxes in London - I have heard that some people feed them too, they are definitely not dangerous - too timid
Old 07-08-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

When I was a kid, I knew a woman who had a racoon as a pet. She loved her racoon.
I hope you didn't get too upset when you saw the dead racoon, ruby. Those things really upset me. Any kind of animal hit by a car is upsetting. Poor things.
thanks for the congrats on my 17 months. It means a lot to me. Now, onward to 18! Forget las Vegas and the 24/7 party time!