Notices

Wow. Panic attacks.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
zjw

i've managed to set up boundaries to keep it from getting to the panic level. But simply quiting got the panic to calm down but it took some time. anxiety has been an ongoing battle for me.

But I wrote something at 6 months in because i was always living on the edge of a panic attack even then the anxiety was so bad. This now reminds me how bad it was an dhow long it took to get better.

I did a lot of things read books drank tea. But at the 6 months mark i started exercising this helped a fair amount. Time I guess it he biggest healer but building up a tool box of stuff you can cope with is good too.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tuitui View Post

SarahB60 - Thanks. Good to hear. No matter what people are telling me, I believe that it's caused by alcohol, and I think that by staying sober I can keep it from happening again.
I was a total mess. I was drinking a ton of wine at night then gobbling xanax during the day, to offset the panic and constant anxiety from the withdrawals. My BP was raging and my heart would pound away relentlessly. My nervous system was in overdrive during the day. I would jump through the roof, if my dog barked.

Now I'm almost 8 months sober and I can't remember my last panic attack. I have anxiety of course, but it doesn't escalate into a full blown PA.

Rest assured that if you stop drinking, you'll feel so much better. You have to give your body time to settle down.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you. I'm still just a couple days in to recovery from the last big fall, so I'm kind of a mess. I cry a lot. I've lost a lot.

But it's really helpful to hear from all of you. Thank you for giving me a vision of the future. I want out of this. My father tonight told me, "you're safe here", and I don't know if I planted that word some how but that was exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks for making me safe, too.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Originally Posted by SarahB60 View Post
I was a total mess. I was drinking a ton of wine at night then gobbling xanax during the day, to offset the panic and constant anxiety from the withdrawals. My BP was raging and my heart would pound away relentlessly. My nervous system was in overdrive during the day. I would jump through the roof, if my dog barked.

Now I'm almost 8 months sober and I can't remember my last panic attack. I have anxiety of course, but it doesn't escalate into a full blown PA.

Rest assured that if you stop drinking, you'll feel so much better. You have to give your body time to settle down.
This was me too. Exactly. Thank you.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The last 2 or 3 full blown panic attacks I've had were a direct result of drinking. I have a bit of anxiety from time to time but it's easily manageable, throw a night of heavy drinking into the mix and watch out.

The situation you were in sounds terrifying but maybe that is the thing you need to quit. I know when I feel like reaching for a beer I force myself to remember the last panic attack I had and it usually works.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I run the risk of sounding harsh but my top advice is to try not to avoid the situations that are causing the panic attacks unless they are genuinely bad for you.

This is because panic attacks + avoidance leads to an escalating scenario where you eventually end up with agoraphobia.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

SVA - Thank you. I want to be out of that cycle, too. I'm so glad you are.

ZJW - I'm investigating exercise.... it's been the most helpful thing to me in the past but since I'm away from home or anywhere permanent, it's a bit hard (I hate running... seriously if there was one universal design concession for addicts it would be to make their knees good for running at least?). But I know that exercise will break things out of where they are, so I'm looking for a low-cost gym with low commitments.

SarahB60 - Thank you. It is so hard to be where I am and picture a future, especially when most of the people I'm asking are telling me it's no big thing. I was sober for over a year and I remember how strong I felt. I know I can be there again. But yeah, right now... dog barks and I'm creeping through the window blinds like a crazy person.

Lighter - You're right. I don't think that's harsh at all. I'm trying really hard right now to balance my need for feeling safe with my need to get the * back into my life. It's hard because I'm far away from where I was living... so there's a lot more safe than there is life. I don't have friends or anything to do here in the suburbs with my Dad's family... I only know them through a few meetings. They are being absolutely amazing. But I feel a bit like a teenager... I kind of just want to be left alone. I know that's not really a good way to go, but I don't even feel physically capable of all the small talk I need to do to have a normal outing. I did do some random driving just to feel like I was doing something.