Notices

I am done..

Old 07-06-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am done..

Hello,
I am new to this site and I am back to day 1. I have tried quitting the roller coaster ride of binge drinking for years and here I am again, day 1.
I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. I'm scared and a little lost, the fear that someone will find out that I have this problem is overwhelming.
How do I survive day 1?
Old 07-06-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

You can survive day one by staying close to support. That can be SR, that can be going to an AA meeting.

Just don't drink just for today. The SR chat rooms are usually active in the evenings. Maybe check them out later?

You can do this. You're not alone.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, you've come to a place where you will find lots of support.

And, get through Day 1 by doing whatever you have to do to not drink. Do you have alcohol at home? If so, get rid of it, and plan to do something different this evening to take your mind off drinking. You can get through this.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Wildflower my advice is these links http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

Also the advice & support here is second to none

Good luck on your sober journey
Old 07-06-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, wildflower. You get thru day one by not taking that first drink no matter what. It does get better with time and work on our parts, joining and becoming active on here is a good first step on the road to recovery.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Wildflower. The early days are the toughest. Come up with a plan and stick to it. What ever you do, just don't drink. You will thank yourself tomorrow morning.

Stay close to what ever support mechanism you have in place. For me it was and still is only SR. There's always someone here to listen and offer advise 24/7. So stay close and post when ever you are feeling weak.

This does get easier with time. You can do it, lean on this community as much as you need.

Welcome.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do whatever you have to do to go to bed sober tonight. That might mean getting a massage, going to a movie, reading a book, drinking herbal tea, even going to bed early.

You might need to seek medical help if you experience withdrawal symptoms.

And then for the long term, you'll need to create a plan ( changes in your lifestyle + help - therapy/AA/etc) to guide you on you path to sobriety. . .
Old 07-06-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! Get thru the first day (and the rest of them) by taking it a minute, an hour, a day at a time. Don't drink no matter what. You can do this.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Anna,
I have no alcohol in the house, and no desire to get some. It's the guilt and shame that is making it's way through my mind, body, and soul. I can't focus on responsibilities and I can't relax. This feels like the longest road.....

Thank you everyone for your kind words....blessings
Old 07-06-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Wildflower, I add me to the list of everyone else here that says you have to do what it takes to get through day 1. Every single person in sobriety achieved it by getting through Day 1. And its likely not going to be an enjoyable experience.

Depending on the severity of your situation, you may need to change the course of your daily life for the short term. What I mean by that is if you are serious, 100% of your time and focus needs to be on you and staying sober. NOTHING else trumps your not drinking.
You: If possible, have someone stay with you.
Got kids: have someone watch them for awhile
Job: use vacation or personal time
Marriage: let spouse know what you are doing and your behavior may change for awhile.
Hopefully its not that bad, but for some, it is.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
It's the guilt and shame that is making it's way through my mind, body, and soul. I can't focus on responsibilities and I can't relax. This feels like the longest road.....
One of the side effects of frequent alcohol use is increased anxiety when you quit. It's difficult, but it passes if you stay dry.

Welcome! Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 07-06-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome wildflower

You'll find a ton of support here

Why not check out our 'Class of July' support thread for everyone quitting this month?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-2015-a-8.html
Old 07-06-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Wildflower! I'm on day 2. It's hard-- but I'm not going to drink today no matter what. We can all help each other.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wildflower, you sound so ready! It feels wonderful to be free of it. You can do it - stay with us and keep posting. It'll help with the anxiety you feel in the early days. We all understand.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wildflower - I'm new to this site and starting over again, too. I can related to a lot of what you wrote - the roller coaster, being sick and tired, and trying to hide my problem. For me, the guilt and shame were the worst on day one. My only goal was to get through the day. I did what ever I could to just keep my mind off of what I had done the night before. I spent a lot of time on the couch taking naps and watching bad TV, sometimes watching TV all day. It occupied my mind and helped pass the time. As I started to feel better, I would go for walks to help clear my head. Day two was always much better for me. You can do it.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! Staying close to SR has really helped me a lot. There's so much support here.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Wildflower!!
Old 07-07-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Wildflower. What I found to be very useful the first few days - and I'm barely there yet on Day 15 - is just to keep coming back to the forum and reading reading reading. There is some great advice out here and of course you soon realize that you are not alone in this and not the first person to have gone this route. Personally I always find it good to have my herbal tea (rooibos or similar) ready at hand and to go for walks with the dogs.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

How are you doing today, wildflower70?
Old 07-07-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
Hello,
I am new to this site and I am back to day 1. I have tried quitting the roller coaster ride of binge drinking for years and here I am again, day 1.
I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. I'm scared and a little lost, the fear that someone will find out that I have this problem is overwhelming.
How do I survive day 1?

I am also back on Day 1 wildflower. I am also sick and tired of being sick and tired. I am here with you going through they same thing trying to survive Day1.