Notices

Cycles

Old 07-06-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cycles

Hello all,

Been a lurker for a while, this is my latest attempt at quitting alcohol.

I'm in my early 30s, primarily a weekend warrior type drinker. I won't feel any real strong desire to drink until Friday night comes around but then if I have a drink I will keep going until I pass out usually. Then probably repeat it Saturday and if I start on Sunday I'll end up phoning in sick Monday. Lots of money spent over the years, embarrassment, injuries, risk taking with drink driving etc.

The last few years have seen this cycle get worse, my partner is running out of patience I think. There's no discernable concrete thing that makes me start up again after stopping, I guess enough time passes to forget the feeling that makes me quit. If insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result then I guess I'm insane...

I'm hoping being more active here will help me to keep it up this time, I struggle with impulsive actions generally and just need a mental check before I go to the off licence.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome upontheroof, my drinking patterns share some similarities to yours and I'm only a few years younger than you.

I know what you mean about the embarrassment and injuries, it really is the worst thing and totally not worth it. I've now gotten 20 sober weekends under my belt and I'm so happy to be off that hamster wheel and truly living and enjoying my weekends.

You'll find lots of support here. Glad to have you!
Old 07-06-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's tough. Breaking the cycle. It can be done though. I had to get through the first few times that I wanted a drink to set myself on the road to sobriety. Are you looking to stop entirely? For me that was the only way. I can't stop at just one so not picking up that first drink is crucial.

Stick around and make a plan. Read and post. Welcome to SR
Old 07-06-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

20 weekends sounds amazing, 8 is my previous best.

I think learning to enjoy things without drinking is the trick for me. Social anxiety makes going out anywhere with lots of people a challenge sober, boredom is a trigger for me too.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
That's tough. Breaking the cycle. It can be done though. I had to get through the first few times that I wanted a drink to set myself on the road to sobriety. Are you looking to stop entirely? For me that was the only way. I can't stop at just one so not picking up that first drink is crucial.

Stick around and make a plan. Read and post. Welcome to SR
Yeah I think I have enough experience to say definitely that 1 is too many, having to stop drinking once I've started feels horrendous
Old 07-06-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Welcome UOTR,
We are glad you are here with us. You will find so much support and caring here at SR. Be sure to read and post often, doing that has really helped me. Remember, it's just one hour, one day at a time... Good luck to you.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR
Old 07-06-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Breaking the cycle is hard, but crucial to recovery. You need to take that leap of faith and do something specifically different on Friday evening.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi upontheroof, many of us are/were in the same boat. What I struggled with was that many alcoholics can't have that first drink, because it only stops when complete disaster strikes whether it be days or months...or years. With us weekend warriors, we put down the drink every single week, so it can be done... and often. But binge drinking I'm starting to believe is every bit as bad or worse than the everyday drinker. Anyway, it appears you see a problem and are trying to fix it. best of luck to you.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome upontheroof

you have a few days now before Friday - what about making a plan for next weekend?

this link is a great starting point

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf
Old 07-06-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you with us, Upontheroof. You'll find plenty of encouragement and understanding here.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! Staying close to SR has really helped me so much.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 07-09-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the words of wisdom.

Well my partner and I have a trip coming up this weekend so drinking Friday night isn't an option anyway, she's very keen for me to stop drinking and will be helping to keep me motivated so should all be good.

Just got to fight the old mindset that holiday = drinking holiday and I can actually enjoy myself without it. Driving to restaurants etc will help.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Hi upontheroof, many of us are/were in the same boat. What I struggled with was that many alcoholics can't have that first drink, because it only stops when complete disaster strikes whether it be days or months...or years. With us weekend warriors, we put down the drink every single week, so it can be done... and often. But binge drinking I'm starting to believe is every bit as bad or worse than the everyday drinker. Anyway, it appears you see a problem and are trying to fix it. best of luck to you.
Binge drinking allows you to fool yourself into thinking you're not a problem drinker but the cycle of withdrawal leads to kindling which means you are eventually physically unable to stop without pretty serious medical attention.

In other words "spree" drinking is just a phase that alcoholics go through.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by upontheroof View Post
Hello all, Been a lurker for a while, this is my latest attempt at quitting alcohol. I'm in my early 30s, primarily a weekend warrior type drinker. I won't feel any real strong desire to drink until Friday night comes around but then if I have a drink I will keep going until I pass out usually. Then probably repeat it Saturday and if I start on Sunday I'll end up phoning in sick Monday. Lots of money spent over the years, embarrassment, injuries, risk taking with drink driving etc. The last few years have seen this cycle get worse, my partner is running out of patience I think. There's no discernable concrete thing that makes me start up again after stopping, I guess enough time passes to forget the feeling that makes me quit. If insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result then I guess I'm insane... I'm hoping being more active here will help me to keep it up this time, I struggle with impulsive actions generally and just need a mental check before I go to the off licence.
hhis is a pretty good description of where I was in my early thirties... It got two DUIs, two divorces and a whole lot of misery worse before I finally chose sobriety.

Stick around here and give sobriety a honest go.... I think you'll find it far preferable to a decade of diminishing returns and awful consequences
Old 07-09-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lighter View Post
Binge drinking allows you to fool yourself into thinking you're not a problem drinker but the cycle of withdrawal leads to kindling which means you are eventually physically unable to stop without pretty serious medical attention.

In other words "spree" drinking is just a phase that alcoholics go through.
What you said has been my problem. I'm even fully aware that I'm fooling myself. Kindling is a just a theory! haha.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So quitting just before a vacation was a bad idea, suffice to say that I still cannot drink in moderation. Brought a case of beer yesterday to "last a few days", this morning there are 12 empty bottles...

Could be worse I suppose, other than feeling tired I haven't done anything too dumb. Back on the abstinence horse for the rest of the week.

And forever would be nice.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can make it forever, up - just depends on how much effort you want to put in...

D