Notices

I've Been Avoiding You....

Old 07-05-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

If you really want help and really want to stay stopped, you have to do somethings differently. Maybe rehab? Maybe try AA (working the steps, not just attending meetings, change your routines......somewhere along the lines you must know deep inside you that you can't drink or use.....

You CAN do this!!!!!
Love and Hugs to you
Old 07-05-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome back Kafkaesque!!

For me something as simple as daily checking in here on SR is a great tool to include in your plan, I joined SR initially, thought I had Sobriety cracked, disappeared for a while and guess what happened? I went back to drinking!!

Building daily SR checkins into my routine each day was a great help to keep me focused on the task at hand, I learned I needed support in the good times as well as the bad times!!
Old 07-05-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
I basically begged him to go through this with me. But he wanted nothing to do with the idea.
The best thing you can do to help your dad is show him what a clean life looks like....I would have taken a drunken family member slurring out what I needed to do to clean up my life with an ENORMOUS grain of salt...

I wish you the absolute best...
Old 07-05-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, the next day's realization must have been mortifying.

Really should avoid adding booze to antidepressants (probably have already heard this from your prescribing physician and the warning label on the bottle).

Alcohol plus Prozac was for me a magical brew that apparently had the power to teleport me through space and time to various locations, e.g., jail, detox, naked on my bedroom floor, naked in some girl's bed I don't remember meeting (what's with all the naked? guess I was hot or something) .. just some of the highlights.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Kaf, glad to see you back. Two things come to mind, you...and your Dad. As hard as it is, you are going to have to leave your dad out of the equation now. Put yourself first, and listen to what others have said here.

My brother and I confronted my Dad once about his drinking (and it was out of control), his response was simple and to the point. And I quote "*** you." Never talked to him about his drinking again.

Last edited by Dee74; 07-05-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the support. It took me an additional week to want to stop again even after I posted this thread, and another week to get to the point where I'm ready to make any changes necessary. I can't do this on my own. My family has been so much more supportive than they ever have been. I've started reading Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget which has been giving me hope.

You guys seriously helped me realize my issues are my own and CLEARLY I'm not getting anywhere doing what I have been doing. So it's time for an even bigger change...

I'm going to my first AA meeting tonight after work. I'm scared. I think that's normal? Any idea on what i can expect? I'm going no matter what, even though right now my brain is saying just go home and sleep. But I'm going. I'm so nervous I can barely focus at work...
Old 07-17-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Hang on!

Originally Posted by Notmyrealname View Post
[...] Alcohol plus Prozac was for me a magical brew that apparently had the power to teleport me through space and time to various locations, e.g., jail, detox, naked on my bedroom floor, naked in some girl's bed I don't remember meeting (what's with all the naked? guess I was hot or something) .. just some of the highlights.
Please excuse me for laughing, but you have a way with words there. As a trekkie that analogy made my day. Thanks.

Spock, where are we now??

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 07-17-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
I'm going to my first AA meeting tonight after work. I'm scared. I think that's normal? Any idea on what i can expect?
Check out this link

http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/F...A_Meeting.html
Old 07-17-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I found this helpful when I went - best of luck!
AA's official website;
Alcoholics Anonymous : This Is A.A. - An introduction to the A.A. recovery program

Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

There a short video that's explains what to expect as well.

Last edited by Dee74; 07-17-2015 at 03:52 PM. Reason: copyright declaration