Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Okay, so I went from an at-home drinker to a "social drinker".

Notices

Old 07-04-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

But now I'm going out every night, from party, to show, to bar. Last night I woke up at 8PM and was still too intoxicated to get to the next party.

My goal was to stop buying alcohol from liquor stores and drinking alone, but now I'm going out to bars every night, or house parties. Tonight I'm going out to get trashed with an old friend.

I think I started doing this because my drinking made me lose my fiance of 4 years. I got really depressed, but I said I wouldn't drink at home anymore. And I don't, I get completely drunk in bars and stuff.

Should I just go to some kind of secular AA meeting?
Old 07-04-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
nmd

Aa wouldnt be a bad start. Maybe alcohol free meet ups or activities you enjoy?

It soundss though, from your first post in may that you are in much greater immediate danger from drinking. You said you went through a scary at home detox and were drinking a bottle of vodka/day. Any way you can go through a medically supervised detox?

(And welcome, it looks like you joined in may :-)
Old 07-04-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by dunkelheit View Post

Should I just go to some kind of secular AA meeting?
If you are serious about quitting you should do whatever it takes to support that decision.

This stint as "social drinker" won't last.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Notice that you didn't quit, you just changed the location at which you're drinking. So nothing really changed. You have an addiction. You need to quit. Permanently, no exceptions.

And yeah, go to a meeting. I called my doctor I think that's a really good route to take as well. Get as many options for help as you can.

And good luck!
Old 07-04-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried the 'social drinker' thing too - all I ended up doing was drinking as much as I used to at home in public.

It got very embarrassing, so I switched to drinking at home alone again.

Social drinker or not I was bent on self destruction,

The solution for me was to stop drinking at all.

D
Old 07-04-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Should you go to AA? You will find a lot of help there should you choose to go. However, there are other secular methods of getting sober as well.

It does sound like you know you have a drinking problem and in that case you really should do anything/everything to help yourself.

Social drinking doesn't make you any less of an alcoholic. I was a bartender up until I quit drinking and while at the the end I would drink alone a lot also, the vast majority of my drinking was around other people. Addiction doesn't care if you're alone or with other people, it only cares that it gets it's fix.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What I didn't hear in your post was anything like "I really want to stop drinking".

Do you want to stop drinking?
Old 07-04-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I got turned down by a bar on Thursday because I was already drunk when I showed up. They told me to have a coffee and something to eat, show the receipt and I could come back in 45 minutes. It's that bad.

I'm already detoxed and everything, but I feel that being single again, and not having anything productive to do is causing me to drink more. I'm probably going to be trashed for the next two days AT LEAST, because I promised I'd go to a couple more parties. My friend even called me out on facebook publically because I said I wanted to visit my dad on Sunday. So now I have to go to yet another party. I missed one yesterday because I was too hung over to go out. This is just extreme. I'm glad to be going out again after the break-up, but it just seems like I'm drinking more when I go out. Still, my liquor store ban is helping.

Why is it so hard to just stop? I wake up every day feeling like crap, then I go out again. It's the most illogical thing ever.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
Aa wouldnt be a bad start. Maybe alcohol free meet ups or activities you enjoy?

It soundss though, from your first post in may that you are in much greater immediate danger from drinking. You said you went through a scary at home detox and were drinking a bottle of vodka/day. Any way you can go through a medically supervised detox?

(And welcome, it looks like you joined in may :-)
It was so frightening. I never want to have to go through that again. I don't know how you guys manage to just stop. I'm 26, so I'm getting to that point where I should have self-control, but I don't. I also have a mental problem, of which one of the diagnostic criteria are addiction. I don't want to use that as an excuse, but it's just so hard to deal with.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

you have to go to a party because someone called you out on facebook?

also - still nothing that looks like "I want to stop drinking".
Old 07-04-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I couldn't just stop. That was the problem. I have an addiction to alcohol. I had to get help; I tried to stop for 4 years this time around until I finally threw in the towel and accepted that I just can't do this alone.

I heard in a meeting yesterday that we don't have to live this way anymore if we don't want to.

That's my experience anyway.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've posted this before, but it bears repeating...

I had a friend who wanted me to train him for a marathon...he went out and bought the best watch, the best running shoes, hat, shades, heart rate monitor, etc...but I could NOT get him out the door to run with me...it was too early, or it was too hot, or tonight just wasn't a good time for him...after a few weeks, I explained to him...If you're going to be a runner...you're eventually going to have to run...it's not easy, but it is that simple...

If you're going to quit drinking, you're eventually going to have to stop drinking...it's not easy, but it is that simple...
Old 07-04-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Why is it so hard to just stop? I wake up every day feeling like crap, then I go out again. It's the most illogical thing ever.
You are addicted. Addicts need their alcohol.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know, it's just I'm still young and trying to get out there again. I made a goal for myself, which I've kept, but it's not good enough. I'm still drinking every night.

Instead of waiting for the liquor store to open, I'm looking for parties every night. This isn't working. I'm definitely drinking less, but it's still a daily thing for me, I would really like to cut down, but I'm lonely and I want to have fun for the first time in 4 years.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And there it is....

'I'd like to cut down'.

When I was saying I'd like to cut down.... I had no interest in quitting.

My efforts to cut down took me through many years of troubles. Two DUIs. Other legal trouble. Health issues. Divorces. Lots and lots of misery.

May you avoid that fate.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

IThis isn't working. I'm definitely drinking less, but it's still a daily thing for me, I would really like to cut down, but I'm lonely and I want to have fun for the first time in 4 years.
1. You already know that "cutting down" isn't an option. Alcoholics cannot "cut down". You either make a plan to quit or keep drinking.

2. Drinking does not equal fun for an alcoholic. It equals pain, misery, regret, shame and a lot worse if you keep up long enough. Living sober can be equally fun and fulfilling.

As others have mentioned, you just need to make a decision....is it time to quit or not? Tapering down/cutting back/changing the way you drink is not an option. As an alcoholic, you will always drink like one no matter where or when you do it.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Dont let alcoholism rip your life apart the quickest way to stop this is to obviously stop drinking if your ready to do that, you can get help from a Dr to do so plus SR has its own secular section & there are smart recovery secular meetings plus there is rational recovery

Dont let alcohol rip your life apart i got sober at 31 & im 33 now i never thought i could get sober but here i am

Your not alone & by getting sober you give yourself a much better chance of peace & happiness esp at 26 yrs old

hopefully youl continue to post your journey of sobriety and realise that this isnt happiness this is alcoholism

You can do this friend at least give sobriety a chance youl find your happiness there
Old 07-04-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Here's the thing, dunkelheit. It really doesn't matter what has happened to you in the past, or what is on your social calendar for the future. That stuff does not matter.

What matters is what you do now. This moment. Look around you - where you are, what you are doing in this instant. In this instant, this present time, you make a decision to drink or not to drink. You already have it within you to make this choice. Every time, no matter what the situation is, you have it within you to decide not to drink. You do. YOU, Dunkelheit, can choose to quit drinking.

You can do all sorts of things, but the only way to get sober is to quit drinking. And of all times to quit drinking, now is the best. And it is the only time because it is always now.

Do it, Dunkelheit. You can do it. You don't have to keep drinking, you don't have to keep making this mess. You can stop, and you can stop for good.

Are you ready to make your decision about continuing to use alcohol?
Old 07-04-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

How old are you? If you are not comfortable telling us, I understand.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

" Still, my liquor store ban is helping."....is this self imposed? Or did you get in trouble?