Notices

Two weeks sober with a question ...

Old 07-03-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Haven't been in a situation this go-round yet where someone offers me a drink, but I would probably just answer "No thanks." If pressed for whatever reason, and I can't imagine what it'd be, I'd say, "I'm not drinking." If still pressed because whoever I'm talking to is a class-A jerk and probably a fellow alcoholic, I'd say, "No thank you. I do not drink." Though I would hope I would have left the party/situation before it reached this last point as it's not a place I need to be.

I am big on honesty in my recovery as I was a lying liar of a liar so I don't want to use phrases like "I'm not drinking right now/tonight" or "I'm driving" or "I'm on antibiotics." No more lies for this guy.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
'No thanks, I don't drink'

Or

'I'll just have water, thanks'

Or

'No thank you... I'm good!'

Or

'Nope, I'm not a drinker'

Or

'No thank you! I'm not drinking'

Or

'None for me, thanks!'

Or any of a hundred or so other possibilities. Doesn't really matter. I used to get hung up about what to say, what people might think, how to 'spin' it, what they might say, how to respond to that....

Turns out I really was wasting my time worrying. Most people really didn't care that much and most of those who did take notice were friends who were also heavy drinkers or alcoholics and their comments were always along the lines of 'wow... I sure wish I could do that....'.
Yep, in early sobriety, I was always hung up about this, now I could care less. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have even been offered a drink in the past year plus anyway. But I remember I used to obsess about this early on. Other people simply do not care whether you drink, the small handful who might are just projecting their own insecurities about their own drinking habits.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
quat

The only time/place where/when "No Thanks" hasn't worked for me is MickeyD's
It flabbergasts them, "Why do Mean?! It's part of the deal! Idon't think you can do that!? Excuse me, I'm going to get the manager"
Old 07-03-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

In the first few weeks and months, it might be best to avoid any situation where that question would be asked. Movies, walks in the park, taking the bus, going to work, driving your car, hanging with pets, gardening, playing catch, at the gym, going to a cafe....there are millions of things to do where nobody would even ask you about drinking. Start by doing some of those activities, and you won't even have to worry about answering that kind of question. If you can change your life, piece by piece, you'll have success. Start by finding ways to avoid being around alcohol and you'll notice so many new options.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

"I don't drink" is my phrase, why open up a conversation that is nobody else's business?!!

People don't drink for many reasons, we are now a part of the "non drinker" club too!!
Old 07-03-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Reading your original post ... my response is that you answer in the way that is most beneficial to you. For some people it is helpful to say "I'm a recovering alcoholic and I no longer drink". That was helpful to me at one point. Today I only say no thanks, and no one's ever really questioned that. If they did...today...I would say I have health issues and have been told not to drink. It's firm, it doesn't give anyone information that it isn't their business, and its absolutely true. If I was feeling a bit irritable I would probably answer any questions with none of your business or FK off.... Sometimes I get irritable.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Congrats SoberHappyHour on 2 weeks!

At this earIy stage for myself, (30 days) I'm consciously avoiding happy hour, after work networking events and and all other opportunities to be around drinkers in a social setting until...who knows when.

Don't have the tools I need yet, so best for me to just keep looking straight ahead at my plan. My plan is to not drink.

But good question because, like you I will have to say something if asked. Probably will just say, " I'm good, thanks. I'll take a water" because god knows I need to drink more water after drying my insides out with poison all these years... Our poor bodies.. ugh...

Good luck and let us know how it goes the first time if you want to share, curious what you will wind up saying. :-)

Be well
Old 07-03-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of the replies!

So far I've only gone out once in my sobriety last weekend and had a rockstar energy drink poured in a glass. Nobody asked because they assumed it was a beer I believe. In the meantime, I'm just going with "I'm driving" if I am asked because that usually is the case and I do not drink and drive and haven't for years after getting into legal troubles for that before. So I can use that line if I'm already out and driving. However, I'm sure at some point people are going to offer to pick me up and that is actually where I would need to reply more than if I'm already out and drove there. I believe that is my biggest weakness right now, is prior to getting to the bar and being contacted by friends.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberHappyHour View Post
However, I'm sure at some point people are going to offer to pick me up and that is actually where I would need to reply more than if I'm already out and drove there. I believe that is my biggest weakness right now, is prior to getting to the bar and being contacted by friends.
Damn. My heart sinks a little bit when I hear that you are going out to bars. Please, see if you can make some lifestyle changes. Getting sober is hard enough already, at least give yourself a chance here. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It depends how far you are in your recovery I think. I think that if you have made it a ways and are proud I would say I don't drink anymore, because you CAN SAY THAT. Do what you sounds right to you. Be proud.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:56 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by SoberHappyHour View Post
Thanks for all of the replies!

So far I've only gone out once in my sobriety last weekend and had a rockstar energy drink poured in a glass. Nobody asked because they assumed it was a beer I believe. In the meantime, I'm just going with "I'm driving" if I am asked because that usually is the case and I do not drink and drive and haven't for years after getting into legal troubles for that before. So I can use that line if I'm already out and driving. However, I'm sure at some point people are going to offer to pick me up and that is actually where I would need to reply more than if I'm already out and drove there. I believe that is my biggest weakness right now, is prior to getting to the bar and being contacted by friends.
Be careful hanging around bars in early sobriety. Perhaps you could suggest some activities that are not drinking- or bar-centric for awhile. What's that old saying? "If you hang around the barbershop long enough, you're going to get a haircut."

Wishing you the best in your recovery today...
Old 07-04-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Bigsombrero,

I have 100% confidence in myself to not drink when I drive to a bar. I have DUIs and a breathalyzer in my vehicle so I know for a fact that I won't do so when I drive there. However, I do agree that I should avoid them and I am going to work on avoiding them altogether. It's probably best to get used to a lifestyle that doesn't include that period. Thank you.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Very good question, faced it many times myself. Always answer with a light smile.

"No, I've gotta drive."

"Nah, I'm on medication that I can't drink with."

And good ole "nah, not in the mood" is good I think.

No one has ever said a thing to me and all is well. No 2 is my favorite, and in my case is always true. Anyone who probes is probably someone you do not need to hang out with.

But that's an *excellent* question.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

These days I just say 'I don't feel like drinking'.
People usually don't press further after I've said that