Notices

The great thing about AA....

Old 07-02-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The great thing about AA....

The great thing about AA Is you are surrounded by other alcoholics who truly understand the hell you have or are going thru.

Even if you don't believe in God or the 12 Steps or ANYTHING they say...there is something extremely comforting about being in a room full of people who are alcoholics and are sober.

I honestly don't know how anyone can stay sober without being in the presence of other drunks. I love SR but it's not the same as face to face. SR is a great "addition" to my recovery and I LOVE it and LOVE the people here.

That's what I am grateful for today! I am grateful that I got to talk to and hang out with a bunch of SOBER drunks in an AA meeting today who love me unconditionally.

Happy 4th!
Old 07-02-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree Serenidad!!

Happy sober holiday to you! I'm glad you're staying on it!
Old 07-02-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Agree!!! I love the face to face. It's so much more personal. I actually made real live friends there. We do cool sober things together. I need them and they need me and it keeps me going.

Jennifer
Old 07-02-2015, 09:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel ya Serenidad. Nothing like some face to face AA meetings.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm going to my first meeting soon. I hope I find what you have. x
Old 07-03-2015, 01:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FarToGo View Post
I'm going to my first meeting soon. I hope I find what you have. x
Great! Be sure to try several different meetings. Different meetings have different "personalities". There are also different "types" of meetings. There are "Speaker meetings" where someone stands up and tells their recovery story, there are literature meetings, discussion meetings, mens meetings, women's meetings, beginners meetings, etc etc. Give it a solid shot and be sure to tell them it's your first meeting. They will be so glad to see you and will welcome you! :-)

I think too many alcoholics get scared away by the 12 steps or because they don't believe in God. I DO believe in God but there are lots of people in AA who don't and it's ok. You don't have to believe in God to go to AA and have it work for you. The fellowship is very powerful.

I think the most important thing about AA for me is being around other people who truly understand the battle. I can be in a room full of "normal" people and feel lonely but when I am in an AA meeting with alcoholics, I don't feel alone anymore because they "get" me. I can be myself and they like me flaws and all (just like SR :-)) It's a nice feeling. Trust me, I don't like every single person in AA meetings...there are a few that annoy me (haha) but that's just like the anywhere. There are always those 1 or 2 people! ;-)

Anyway, I hope you like your first meeting. :-)
Old 07-03-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I am always impressed with your fortitude Serenidad. I'm really rooting for you to succeed and I know you will be one of the successful ones
Old 07-03-2015, 03:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
The great thing about AA Is you are surrounded by other alcoholics who truly understand the hell you have or are going thru.

Even if you don't believe in God or the 12 Steps or ANYTHING they say...there is something extremely comforting about being in a room full of people who are alcoholics and are sober.

I honestly don't know how anyone can stay sober without being in the presence of other drunks. I love SR but it's not the same as face to face. SR is a great "addition" to my recovery and I LOVE it and LOVE the people here.

That's what I am grateful for today! I am grateful that I got to talk to and hang out with a bunch of SOBER drunks in an AA meeting today who love me unconditionally.

Happy 4th!
I do not know what it is but my belief is God (Group Of Drinks) is present at AA meetings. Something magical happens and it is so much more than the individual people.

One alcoholic talking to another is AA at it's core.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree.

The fellowship of AA was much more important to me in getting sober than working the steps.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Serenidad happy for you
Old 07-03-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

The only requirement for membership is........well, you know. Early in recovery I found AA to be a critical life line - still do. However that was to learn how to take the action involved in the program. The fellowship is amazing, yes - but sitting in meetings and drinking coffee everyday would never have kept me sober. Using the 12 and 12 along with the big book and a sponsor gave me a window of opportunity.

I see those that come in for awhile, just hang out - run out of experience to share because they are not working the program and become isolated drifting away. I strongly advise strike while the iron is hot - get a sponsor and start step work immediately, today!

In the last few months I have come to appreciate SR more and more. Newcomers struggles and questions are a good, constant reminder of where I was not too long ago. There is another level here that I think is tapped into with some time - sure others may agree.

The readiness of support for specific issues with some sober time is amazing.

AA and SR are alike in that both have caring, supportive friends - but they dwindle if we are not taking action and show the willingness to change.

I have to accept the problem = alcoholism and I have to accept the solution........that's up to each of us.

We are talkative, can we show the action!
Old 07-03-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you're feeling good about this, Serenidad.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great to hear you being really positive Serenidad!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 07-03-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the nice words. Have a sober and safe 4th of July and weekend. :-)
Old 07-04-2015, 12:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And thank YOU so much for your encouragement, yes I will try more than one meeting, I think there are 3 or 4 I can get to and I'll go a few times to see which fits. I have no experience of AA but no problem with Higher Power (God) stuff, I think that underneath layers and layers of **** I have a spirituality waiting to help me.
I do have an issue with identifying myself as an alcoholic though, makes NO sense AT ALL, I really do know this. I'm sure at least some of the people I will meet will relate or have heard it before.
I'm so glad for you, you sound really positive and happy on your journey, an inspiration. Thank you.
xx
Old 07-04-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FarToGo View Post
And thank YOU so much for your encouragement, yes I will try more than one meeting, I think there are 3 or 4 I can get to and I'll go a few times to see which fits. I have no experience of AA but no problem with Higher Power (God) stuff, I think that underneath layers and layers of **** I have a spirituality waiting to help me. I do have an issue with identifying myself as an alcoholic though, makes NO sense AT ALL, I really do know this. I'm sure at least some of the people I will meet will relate or have heard it before. I'm so glad for you, you sound really positive and happy on your journey, an inspiration. Thank you. xx
Great! Glad you are gonna go. They will ask at the beginning of the meeting if it's anyone's first meeting ever? Be sure to raise your hand. Don't be scared. They are such nice people and will be so welcoming.

And you don't have so say you are an alcoholic. The ONLY requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. :-) Let me know how it goes!