Notices

Sweating profusely

Old 07-02-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sweating profusely

Is this familiar to anyone? Today, sometime in the afternoon of day 2, I started to sweat profusely. I mean, really, really bad. While I wasn't doing much, I feel drained from energy.

I suppose it's a withdrawal symptom, but sweating THIS much? I'm keeping hydrated but it's hard to keep up with it. I drank 15 large glasses of water in 2 hours and didn't even have to go to the bathroom. And I'm getting thirsty again.

It's probably my body detoxing, but still, this extremely? And more importantly, how long will it last. I have two weeks off from work and this needs to be over before I get back. Otherwise I will be drenched in sweat at work all day long.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

addiction and abuse with toxins causes all kinds of hell to our bodies. The sympathetic nervous system gets all haywire. Emotions and anxieties come in to complicate things. Caffeine can further mess us up.

Short answer is; TOTALLY NORMAL.

Longer answer is - hang in there, don't let it get you worked up or focus on it too much. Focusing on it just makes it worse. It will subside over time. Your body needs to detox, your body needs to stablilize and your emotional / mental processes also need time to settle and adjust to life without booze.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Me too I was so embarrassed at work today. My trousers were actually wet because even my legs were sweating. I'm day one and i have been drinking very heavily so I expect it will carry on a couple more days. I'm so thirsty too.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sweating is a common WD symptom, but please do see a doctor if you feel you are getting too dehydrated or have other serious symptoms.

I personally had really bad night-sweats for the first week or so, i'd wake up feeling like I was laying in a swimming pool.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's normal to sweat a lot when detoxing, but see your doctor if it goes on too long or becomes worse.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Yeah, just to back up what others have said - it is very common, lasted for about 12/14 days in my case
Old 07-02-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reassurance. Knowing it's normal helps me accept it. And if things get worse, I'll definitely see a doctor. Other than the sweating and having no energy, I don't have any other symptoms fortunately.

I'm going to put a huge bottle of water next to my bed and will prepare for refreshing the bed every day for however long this takes ...

At least it's good to know it's a good sign. I want a clean body and not filled with mess,
Old 07-02-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, a common occurrence. But do talk to your dr because withdrawing from alcohol can be dangerous.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used to wake up and it feel like my someone had pored a bucket of water on me. Other times I would not sweat at night but would be somewhere else in the morning and have a gallon of sweat come out of my pores before I could blink. So strange. It will get better.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Yep, had horrible night sweats the first few days of recovery. Quite common from what I've heard.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I had night sweats for a week or so. I'd wake up drenched in the middle of the night. It was kind of alarming at first, but then I didn't mind, as I thought it was another way of my body getting rid of all of the poison I'd subjected it to.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yep, have had the increased sweating symptom from withdrawals. For me it goes away after about 7-10 days, worst-case scenario. Less than that if I wasn't coming off a bender or if I tapered down.

Running seemed to help me get ahead of the problem, at least for a few hours. Stay hydrated.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

JerryFish....its progress. Keep going.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

As others have said its very common when going through WD

Good idea with the water & def see a Dr to get help through early sobriety

Your doing great bud
Old 07-02-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Adventurer

It seems normal to me, I used to be sweaty and thirsty all the time. After being sober 6 months I realize it was from all the drinking, I can't believe what I used to convince myself was normal.

Hang in there it calms down eventually,
Old 07-02-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Personally, I retained a ton of fluid the entire time I drank like a fish. I think my body was trying to get rid of some of that fluid. I agree @ staying hydrated and seeing a doc if it becomes too bad. Wishing you the best. Jen
Old 07-02-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm going through that right now unfortunately. I wake up each night only to need to change and dry myself. It's extremely annoying. I'm glad I'm not the only one and according to many on here it's a positive sign. Stay the course and sweat out the poison.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can relate to this, I'm on my third day but last night was horrible i felt hot and dizzy and was sweating quite a bit, i feel tons better today but i see it the same as others my body is pumping out the toxins
Old 07-03-2015, 12:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes, it is completely normal. I sweated profusely every day at work when I was drinking every night. I am happy to report that now that I'm sober I don't sweat any more than anybody else.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Totally normal. Ugh. I hated the sweats! Especially at night when you are trying to sleep and you wake up and feel like you ran a marathon in the middle of a 120 degree desert! Hang in there! This too shall pass! :-)